PDA

View Full Version : hand polishing question

xjdmb16a2six
12-01-2004, 08:30 PM
hey guys i got a question... i am going to hand polish my car with #81.... but since i never hand polish before what do i use to do it??? and how do i do it??? and for wax i have always apply the wax and buff it out with a towel is that the correct way??? also how do use #7 glaze... and one more question i have like paint stuck on my rocket panels. its soooo hard i cant even remove wit my finger nails... will sand paper remove it??? and what grit should i use? oh yeah i bought some viking MF towels on autopia... what are your opinions on those??? are they better compare to the walmart ones since the prices are almost the same..

imported_WCD
12-01-2004, 09:57 PM
John,

I polished and waxed by hand for years before getting a few different polishers/applicators.

I used the yellow foam applicators and sometimes the terry covered sponges depending on the product.

I used my wrists to apply the product in straight lines back and forth about the length of what my wrist could do working from side to side..always in a parallel direction with the car. I removed the product in the same manner.

When I really wanted a "show car" look, I did two more layers in opposite directions...one perpendicular to the first and then one diagonally.

As far as the paint/overspray on your rocker panels, you may need to soak them with a solvent product and then use a clay bar, or paint cleaner. How thick is the paint on the panels? You need to loosen it somehow without causing too much friction, which could leave scratches.

Rob

xjdmb16a2six
12-01-2004, 10:03 PM
thnkz for the info.. for the overspray its like little drops... i tried using claybar and it was impossible.... but yeah i try soaking it..