PDA

View Full Version : So I finally have some Zaino to try....

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Scottwax
12-01-2004, 04:54 PM
First things first, thanks to ZaneO for the very generous portions he sent me. Probably enough Z6 to QD 3-4 cars and enough Z5 and Z2 to probably do a couple of cars and some ZFX.

It is supposed to rain on Sunday and my brother has volunteered his silver Honda Odyssey for me to try it on. Given Zaino`s reputation for durability and my brother`s lack of regular waxing, it should be a good product for his van.

My plans are to QEW wash it, polish it out with the PC and some AIO. If I remember right, you apply Z5 first then apply Z2 right over it without buffing off the Z5. That is correct, right? Will 2-3 drops of ZFX be sufficient so the Z2 will haze for removal reasonably quickly? Since I don`t get the occasion to wax his van often, using ZFX, I can add a second layer the same day, right?

If it doesn`t rain on Sunday, I will be using it on a silver Land Cruiser instead. Anyway, I will do a write up after I use it and I should have pics soon afterward. Any tips would be appreciated so I use Zaino properly to give it a fair test.

SilverLexus
12-01-2004, 05:03 PM
Photos please. ;)

Scott, I think you will like Zaino. It looks terrific on Bret`s truck-really awesome. I understand it works very well on silver.

My impression of Zaino the company is one of being very reputable and leading edge in chemical technology.

Scottwax
12-01-2004, 05:08 PM
Don`t forget though, Lee, that knowing Bret, his truck is prepped within an inch of its life so probably floor wax would look good on it. ;)

It might turn out to be something good for family details but I`ll have to see how finicky it is or it isn`t to see if it is something I`d regularly use on customer`s cars.

1 Clean WS6
12-01-2004, 05:10 PM
Scott...the planets are in a weird alignment as I am about to Zaino my Lightning this weekend!!! :eek: My first exposure to the Zaino line.

With ZFX you do not apply Z2 on top of Z5. The process you are referring to is when applying Z for the first time without ZFX one would need to apply Z1 then Z5 on top of it...allow to dry then buff. With ZFX you can go from your AIO step to Z5. Add 4-5 drops of the ZFX per ounce of Z5 or Z2. Apply the ZFX`d Z5...allow to haze for 20-30 minutes then buff. Apply the ZFX`d Z2...allow to haze for 20-30 minutes then buff. Between each layer of Z5 or Z2 apply and remove the Z6 QD. With ZFX you can apply a total of 3 layers of Z5 or Z2 within a 24 hour period. http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc has great step by step application directions for we uninitiated. :D I am interested to see your results!!

I plan on applying 3 layers of ZFX`d Z5 on Saturday followed by 3 layers of ZFX`d Z2 on Sunday to my silver Lightning. Pics and my review will follow.

Never say never I guess huh Scott?? ;)

Scottwax
12-01-2004, 05:19 PM
Mike-I moderate a detailing forum (aptly titled "That`ll Buff Right Out") on another board and at the very least, after using Zaino, when someone asks about it, I will have some first hand experience with it and be able to help them better.

imported_memnuts
12-01-2004, 05:31 PM
Scott,

on silver metallic you may want to pass on the Z5 and just layer Z2.

Silver metallic is so forgiving when prepped well, which will be the case with you, that the Z5 ability to hide minor surface marring will be of no benefit IMO. Save the Z5 for when you test on a darker color. Just a suggestion. Have fun. :D

deafbob
12-01-2004, 05:34 PM
Scott,

While certainly not an expert, I have grown to really like Zaino and its ease of use. It is one of the products that I use, but I keep going back to it because of its durability, but I love the shine. Occasionally if I want additional depth, I will top with S100.

And I agree with SilverLexus, I think it looks awesome on silver.

The main thing to remember is prep, which I know you will have no problem with. It will acentuate any imperfections, so the paint has to be near perfect. I honestly see no filling characteristics with Z5, but that may be me not using it properly.

The second is put it on thin. Almost microscopic layers compared to any other product I use including AIO. On a BMW 540, I can put on three coats with one oz of product. With that same 1 oz, I can put two coats on my expedition.

When I first started, I put on what I thought was a thin coat and it took almost two hours to dry. Now I have refined it so that if the humidity is low, I can put it on the whole car and then immediately remove it with no problem.

With ZFX, you can immediately put on up to two additional coats for a total of three.

I generally find the biggest bang for the buck comes on the second coat.

Z2 on my expedition`s wheels it is fantastic at fighting the problem with excessive brake dust related to the truck.

I buff between every layer. It is my understanding that it is the Z1 layer that you don`t have to buff before you add Z2 or Z5, if you are not using ZFX, However, once again, it might be my inexperience that leads to that advice.

I look forward to your pictures.

Here is my expedition with AIO, Z2 and S100.

http://autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=8455&papass=&sort=1

BookemDano
12-01-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

My plans are to QEW wash it, polish it out with the PC and some AIO. If I remember right, you apply Z5 first then apply Z2 right over it without buffing off the Z5. That is correct, right? Will 2-3 drops of ZFX be sufficient so the Z2 will haze for removal reasonably quickly? Since I don`t get the occasion to wax his van often, using ZFX, I can add a second layer the same day, right?

If it doesn`t rain on Sunday, I will be using it on a silver Land Cruiser instead. Anyway, I will do a write up after I use it and I should have pics soon afterward. Any tips would be appreciated so I use Zaino properly to give it a fair test.

Scottwax,

First, here`s the ZFX link in the Zaino site:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ZFX

Take a look at the ZFX instructions. Initially, it looks a bit intimidating, but it actually pretty straight forward.

To use Z2 or Z5 with ZFX, you need need to mix it in the little mixing bottles. Each mixing bottle is about 2 ounces. You mix 4-5 drops of ZFX per ounce of Z2 or Z5. I`ve gotten good results with as little as 1/2 ounce of Z2 or Z5 plus 2-3 drops of ZFX.

After mixing, shake the mixing bottle vigorously for 90 seconds. Now you`re ready to apply it. Remember that the ZFX-mixed product must be used within 12 hours. Also, make sure to clean the mixing bottle thoroughly with concentrated dishwashing detergent immediately after you`re finished.

Three rules for applying the mixed Z2 or Z5:

1) Apply very thinly.

2) Refer to rule 1.

3) Refer to rule 2.

Here`s what I do:

1) Wash car, clay, polish, wash with Z7 car wash (to remove any polish oils).

2) Mix Z5 with ZFX.

3) Apply using a PC with a very soft CLEAN pad. I use an LC Constant Pressure red pad (from CMA). Start by spritzing the pad lightly with Z6 and then put 5-6 VERY SMALL dots of Z5 on the pad at the high point. Apply at about speed 3.5-4.

4) Apply Z5 to the whole car (VERY THINLY). Reapply a few dots of Z5 to the pad as necessary.

5) After the car is completely covered, go back to your starting point and check to see if it`s dry. If not, get a cup of coffee (or a beer) and try again.

6) When the Z5 is dry, buff it off with a clean, good quality, MF buffing cloth. If applied very thinly and it`s not overly cool or damp, I find the Z2 and Z5 will haze nicely within 15-30 minutes after applying it to the whole car. Note that "haze" means that you can wipe a finger in it and the underlying surface is dry. It doesn`t smear. If it`s applied very thinly, you may have look at it at a steep angle to see the haze.

7) Apply Z6 to the whole car and buff off with MF towel. (This should be very fast).

8) Repeat steps 4 through 7 and apply another coat of Z5, making sure that you apply Z6 at the end.

9) Quit for the day. Clean out your mixing bottle and pad. Wait about 24 hours before applying the Z2.

Next day:

10) Repeat Steps 2 through 8 using Z2. This includes mixing Z2 with ZFX. Make sure that the mixing bottle and pad is clean or use another pad. (I have two 7.5" red pads - one for Z2 and one for Z5.)

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Dan.

Scottwax
12-01-2004, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the info Dan but I have an afternoon to do my brother`s van (or my customer`s Land Cruiser if the weather is dry). Probably end up using AIO, then 2 layers of Z2.

ZaneO
12-01-2004, 06:24 PM
Glad you got them so quick. I mailed them on Monday.

I would use the Z2 on silver and use the Z5 on a darker color. Remember that you can use it on paint and windows.

You`ll get the hang of it real fast, but if you have any more questions, fire away.

P.S. I sent you a PM.

salty
12-01-2004, 06:33 PM
It really is easy to use, once you get the hang of it. Remember thin coats, silver might be a little hard to see if you missed a spot. You could use the breath test, if you are not sure of missed spots. If doing by hand, spritz the pad with a little z6, to get things going, and overlap the panel you started to make sure you, got it good. I usually mix 2/3 of an oz with 3 drops ZFX and have a little left over.

paco
12-01-2004, 06:39 PM
Scott,

WELCOME to the Zaino club (not quite yet .. but hey). I`ve curious to know what you think of it.

Simple as all can be.

Wash and Prep. The only note I`ll add here is was after the Zaino sealant is applied with Z7 (wash) helps durability, slickness and the Zaino appearance.

1. Z6 (quick detail)

2. Z5 or Z2 with ZFX (Note; spritzing the foam pad with Z6 helps)

Some people feel that laying a basecoat of Z5 (which supposedly hides very very very fine marring) helps since Z2 is supposedly greater than 99% optically perfect which can magnify the marring.

3. Z6 (quick detail)

4. Layering, most people feel Z2 looks better on lighter coloured vehicles and Z5 on darker colours. It`s a personal perference kind of thing.

Layer up to 3 coats before waiting 24-hrs to apply any successive layers.

Z1 (bonding agent) is the product that you apply without removing it and going straight to Z2/Z5. Since you going with ZFX, you don`t Z1. ZFX help Z2/Z5 adhere and also accelerates the bonding/curing time.

Paco

Corey Bit Spank
12-01-2004, 06:59 PM
Scott, you need to find a late generation F-Body to try it on. Or any GM product. I believe 80% of Zaino users are avid GM owners :)

tpgsr
12-01-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Corey Bit Spank

Scott, you need to find a late generation F-Body to try it on. Or any GM product. I believe 80% of Zaino users are avid GM owners :)

Yes, Corey does know some of this first hand, if you go to fbody.com, and bash zaino theuy will hunt you dowl :lol:

Me and corey got the admin of s-seriesforums.com to switch from zaino and try a good assortment of products including wolfgang. He was very happy, but still loves the zaino on his syclone truck.

I know i dont have to ask, so i will just say that i am looking forward to reviews and pics. What i am most interested in is if it is useable on customers cars. I have had a few customers ask specifically if i carry it in my supplies, and i have always told them no, but if you think that it can fit into the same time frame as most other products, i may just pick up a bottle of the line and try it out.

anxiously awaiting

mike

1 Clean WS6
12-01-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by tpgsr

Yes, Corey does know some of this first hand, if you go to fbody.com, and bash zaino theuy will hunt you dowl :lol:

That is the very reason I found Autopia.