PDA

View Full Version : Anyone wash their car cover?

EKGTI
11-30-2004, 03:04 PM
I think it`s time to give my cover some love. I`ve got a Noah cover and it`s fantastic, but it`s a little dirty.

Anyone know how I should go about this?

E

SVTKLR
11-30-2004, 03:55 PM
My cover from CCC has a care tag on the inside. I believe you use a liquid all purpose cleaner such as fantastic.

hirosh
11-30-2004, 04:04 PM
or check to see if your car cover came with a care instruction pamphlet. my covercraft weathershield came with one and it had washing instructions, like what kind of detergent to use, drying it in the dryer, etc etc.

dschribs
11-30-2004, 04:05 PM
I took mine to the dry cleaners. They have big machines for stuff like that. Was like $12 and it came out great....

EKGTI
11-30-2004, 04:06 PM
So, can you dry it? Or does it have to air-dry. Air-drying would be a pain in my small apt.

black2003z06
11-30-2004, 04:14 PM
I treat car covers like a microfiber towel wash with regular detergent, 2 rinse cycles and I dry them in the dryer on low heat but it takes a while. Never had probem so far and Ive done this on 4 different car covers.

Bill D
11-30-2004, 08:21 PM
One of the big benefits of the Weathershield is that it is easily washed in the home washing machine. Use only powdered detergent

Accumulator
12-01-2004, 08:37 AM
I`ve had a lot of different car covers over the years, and I always just take them to a laundermat and wash them in a big machine. Lots of rinses to get all the detergent out. Then I`ll dry `em at least most of the way in their dryer. I`ll spread it out at home (over furniture, etc.) to complete the drying if I don`t just dry it all the way in the dryer. I maybe got a *little* shrinkage with NOAH and EVOIII/IV fabrics by drying them all the way, but no biggie. If it`s a cotton cover, I`d be sure to dry it on a very low heat setting.

Yeah, this takes a long time, so don`t forget a good book.

This reminds me that I gotta wash my covers if I`m really gonna use them again...

togwt
12-01-2004, 08:49 AM
~One manâ€â„¢s opinion / observations

Car Cover Cleaning and Care:

ï‚· Use a soft Horse Hair brush and a vacuum to remove any loose dust or dirt

ï‚· Gently rinse cover with clean water

ï‚· Wash with a 5:1 clean water / Woolite solution, using a soft brush to loosen any stubborn dirt

(Do not scrub surface (see Spots and Stains)

ï‚· Thoroughly rinse with clean water to remove soap solution

ï‚· Allow air-drying

ï‚· Apply 303TM High Tech Fabric Guard by spraying from approximately 6-inch above the surface with a side-to-side motion dampen but do not saturate.

ï‚· Two applications will ensure complete coverage, allow air-drying between applications.

ï‚· Allow cover to dry before storage.

Maintenance:

About once per month, dependant upon usage / climate, rinse the cover with clean water by gently hosing to remove surface dust or dirt that may have settled. This will extend the time requirements for between soap and water cleaning / washing. Use a rolling tape type lint brush, designed to remove lint from clothing, on your car cover. Daily use will remove any lint or light dust and reduce cleaning time dramatically.

Spots and Stains:

Spray the spot until wet with 303TM Cleaner & Spot RemoverTM, agitate with a medium-soft brush and let stand. Then blot up the stain and excess cleaner as described above. If necessary, repeat, agitate and let stand a few minutes before wiping clean. Dry completely before use

Washing and Care:

Covers should be taken to a commercial Laundromat and washed in large automatic washers without agitator.

Use Woolite (no soap or detergent). Wash your cover using the "Normal" or "Permanent Press" cycles in cold or warm water. Do not wash in hot water. Put the cover through two rinse cycles - it is important that the entire cleaning solution be removed in order to preserve the cover`s water resistance and then air dry.

Do not put the cover in an automatic high-heat dryer (the fabric can melt or shrink) use a low or medium heat

Do not dry-clean covers as the chemicals used will negatively affect the fabric protection abilities and durability

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM