PDA

View Full Version : chrome paint+clearcoat=crap

fordeg2003
11-30-2004, 02:44 PM
Well, now I`ve gone and done it!

My grille and grille extensions were gradually losing all of their chrome, and had started ruining the look of my Ranger. So I decided to take them off and repaint. Sprayed them with Duplicolor Chrome (which looked good). Waited 24 hours and then clearcoated them. That`s when the problems started...

the clearcoat turned the chrome paint dark in some places so now everything looks crappy and splotchy. What did I do wrong?

:scared

Can I correct this problem, or should I just break down and buy new ones? Any thoughts?

vdog0531
11-30-2004, 02:53 PM
well its paint, take some thinner, strip it all down, then paint again and don`t do the clearcoat:)

JasonD
11-30-2004, 04:16 PM
I don`t have an answer for you, but I had a similar experience a while back. I had a custom intake tube made for my supercharger (4" diameter, steel tube) and wanted to paint it black so I sanded it down nice and smooth and then cleaned it up with Laquer Thinner and then sprayed a nice coat of black gloss paint on it. I eventually sprayed around three or four very thin coats, and let it set up for about four hours in the midday sun (90-100 degrees). Once it was completely dry, I sprayed a coat of clear on it think it would help protect it and about 30 minutes after spraying, I went to check on it and all the black paint was wrinkled up and falling off the pipe.

forrest@mothers
11-30-2004, 04:30 PM
Sounds like 2 different types of paint. They both need to be lacquer, or enamel or whatever.

Same thing happened to my son`s Pinewood Derby car - it looked great until we added that clearcoat over the gold metalflake. We learned to read the labels really well after that.

imported_memnuts
11-30-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by forrest

Sounds like 2 different types of paint. They both need to be lacquer, or enamel or whatever.

Same thing happened to my son`s Pinewood Derby car - it looked great until we added that clearcoat over the gold metalflake. We learned to read the labels really well after that.

Bingo. :bow

fordeg2003
11-30-2004, 05:49 PM
Yepper! You hit the nail on the head. The chrome was an enamel and the clearcoat was acrylic. BTW, I forgot to mention that both the grille and extensions are plastic, not metal. Guess it`s back to the drawing board.

Thanks for the replies...y`all are awesome.

:bow