PDA

View Full Version : Ordered a rotary

Carl Anderson
11-28-2004, 05:22 AM
I have been kind of going crazy on this Christmas gift for myself concept. Ordered the Makita 9227, 3 additional backing plates, numerous pads of different sizes, Menzerna polishes, and some other items. I still want to order Poorboys line of polishes and EX and some new microfiber polishing towels.

Why the rotary? Well, I guess mainly for the fun of it. This offers a new challege for my detailing obession, and I do mean obession. I have a clearcoated John Deere lawn mower, Kubota tractor, and older Volvo wagon to practice on. The Volvo I have detailed the hell out of with the PC, and certain scratches just don`t budge even with DACP and a cutting pad. I also have residual cat scratches on my M3 that someday I would like to work on a bit.

Why the Makita? Probably due to brand loyalty and wt. issues. I have a fair number of Makita woodworking tools, and a long line of Makita cordless drills. I`ve always been happy with them. The issue of long term reliability isn`t huge as the amount I will use this machine is miniscule compared to a professional detailer. I`m sure I would also be very happy with the Dewalt or Porter Cable.

DrSauekraut
11-28-2004, 06:28 AM
Good choice on the rotary . . . its light weight and the locking feature is extremely useful. Permanent swirl and scratch removal is much easier. Just curious â€â€œ what kind of pads did you buy?

Carl Anderson
11-28-2004, 07:27 AM
I ordered the 5" and 6" Meguiar`s backing plates so I can use the 6" and 8" Meguiar`s pads that I already have. I also ordered two 8" Meguiar`s polishing pads, and two white 8 1/2" high gloss constant pressure polishing pads from Classic Motoring Accessories. And, finally, I ordered the 4" white polishing pad and 4" orange power pad (and the accompaning backing plate) from Classic Motoring Accessories. I really don`t know if I ordered the best products, but I have been happy with my Meguiar`s pads and one has to start somewhere.

boywonder
11-28-2004, 09:31 AM
Agreed. My friend who has the Makita is running a 3M backing plate with a Meguiar`s pad, 3M Compounding Pad, and 3M Finishing Pad.

The compounding pad does pretty well on neglected finishes.

BTW, did you read the manual on your Makita? I recall that the carbon brushes need to be replaced on them every so often.

grt1today
11-28-2004, 10:16 AM
Carl, check your pm`s :xyxthumbs