PDA

View Full Version : UNBELIEVABLEY Easy Wheel Cleaning !!

HondaMan
11-06-2004, 05:46 PM
WOW !! Just cleaned all 4 of my wheels in 20 minutes, start to finish, dry-to-wet-to-dry.

I had last cleaned them 4 weeks ago and applied EX-P. OK, so they haven`t had that much time to get dirty. Still, there was some black grime on the wheels but it just came right off. That EX-P is great -- I am doing my Winter Detailing this weekend and and will apply 2 layers tonite/tomorrow to the wheels. Also, the Meguiars Hot Tire Spray had completely faded and dried after 4 weeks, FYI.

I only went as far inside the wheelwell as my sponge would go -- about 3" tops -- so it`s not a complete 7-8" deep cleaning that would require more time or necessitate taking the wheels off. I`ll worry about that next year as the car is still less than 5 months old.

I definitely recommend applying sealants to your wheels -- it`s worth the effort and time. I did not prep the wheels with AIO or PB PP (didn`t want to use any cleaner or abrasives on the wheels, just pure sealant) but it appears that PB EX-P directly applied to my Honda aluminum wheels does "take" and stick. I`ll do 2 layers this weekend, should last me hopefully through much of the NYC Metro area winter !

Bill D
11-06-2004, 06:09 PM
Sealants on the wheels all the way! :bigups I often get by wiping them down with an old sheepskin mitt, the dust comes off that easily!

crobinso
11-06-2004, 06:48 PM
Sealants are da bom on wheels! Especially on clearcoated aluminum wheels. It rained on Thursday, and my wheels did not get dirty! My tires, on the other hand...

EX-P also worked great on my windows. That truly is some good stuff.

Charles

HondaMan
11-06-2004, 06:51 PM
I want to apply some EX-P to my windows, if someone will respond to my thread/question regarding the PC 7424/EX-P/SSR-PB PP.

kimwallace
11-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Once you have applied a sealant to the wheels, another easy way to clean them is Spray and Wipe.

HondaMan
11-06-2004, 07:26 PM
Yup, I didn`t really need the hose and a bucket of soapy water....S&W would have worked fine...hell, WATER alone would have worked fine. :angel

G35stilez
11-06-2004, 08:05 PM
Sealed wheels is the way to go.

Personally I have had excellent success with the Klasse Twins since they repel dust, dirt, etc.

With sealed wheels, the cleanup is as easy as a quick swipe with a soapy wash pad/mitt.

Rob Tomlin
11-07-2004, 01:39 AM
Sealed wheels is the way to go.

Personally I have had excellent success with the Klasse Twins since they repel dust, dirt, etc.

With sealed wheels, the cleanup is as easy as a quick swipe with a soapy wash pad/mitt.

In fact, wouldn`t that almost be the required way to go?!

The reason I say this is because using regular wheel cleaners on a wheel that has a sealant on it would probably remove the sealant rather quickly, whereas car wash soap wouldn`t.

BookemDano
11-07-2004, 09:48 AM
I applied Z2 to my Audi`s wheels. Cleaning now is a snap. I use an OXO wheel brush with soft fibers. A few swipes and it`s clean.

After washing, I apply Z6 QD to the entire car, including the wheels.

Regards,

Dan.

HondaMan
11-07-2004, 11:37 AM
In fact, wouldn`t that almost be the required way to go?! The reason I say this is because using regular wheel cleaners on a wheel that has a sealant on it would probably remove the sealant rather quickly, whereas car wash soap wouldn`t.

Exactly...plus, why use something that`s strong like A2Z (or even stronger stuff) when you don`t need to?

And you`re right, specialty wheel cleaners are almost certainly going to take off most or all of the sealant on the wheels.

I`m applying my 2nd coat tonight. Will let it sit for a few hours and then take it off.