PDA

View Full Version : Megs #81 Hand Polish Experience (Longish)

AMDin93103
11-27-2004, 07:24 PM
I couldn`t handle looking at the swirls in my truck anymore. I have been so busy lately and hadn`t really had any time to take care of my own ride until today.

I worked the paint above the fender flares with SSR2 with the exception of SSR1 on the hood, not too bad. After I finished with the last quarter panel I got to thinking. The last 2 combos I have used on my 4Runner (S-S black) have looked great but lacked the oily-deep black I was yearning for. I sifted through my tub of not-used-in-a-really-long-time products and found 29 ounces of Meguiars Hand Polish.

I had problems with streaking and cloudyness last time I used it and I think I gave up easy and moved on to PwC or SEPC, both yeilding great shine (with ease) but really lacking depth. Forgetting all that I had remebered about how it was to be used, I threw a Sonus Finishing pad on the ol` PC and applied a little more than a quarter sized drop to the dry pad. I thought for sheezy that I was going to set it down or sample it out to friends etc.

I worked that drop from the drivers tail light to the front of the back door, like 2`x5`. Spread it with on 3 moved to 4.5 and then 5 back and forth for about 4 minutes a section working only front to back motions. I waited about 3 minutes, did another section the same size and went back and wiped the first off. Nice and toasty warm with a very slight greasiness to the touch. I continued on around the truck eventually letting each sit a few more minutes than I had originally, solving the greasy feel. When I was done I sealed it with EX-P and wil be going back out there tomorrow to give it another.

AFAI could tell, it`s deep and I don`t think the halogens (50% off at sears BTW) are doing it justice. I haven`t read anything about this product in a while and see my old combo (SSR`s, PwC, Ex-P) talked about a lot. Might work for you. ;)

-Andrew.

Scottwax
11-27-2004, 07:38 PM
#81 is a very wet looking final glaze. I tend to save it for multiple step details where I have the extra time to use it. VM and PwC are so easy to use and also give outstanding results that like you, I tend to go with them first.

I also let #81 sit a little while before removing, seems to come off more easily that way. Real thin layers also help. BTW, #81 works very well with EX w/carnauba and #26. You get a very rich, deep looking surface. It just takes a bit more work than some other products.

imported_NHBFAN
11-27-2004, 07:42 PM
#81 is a good polish/glaze, but I`ve been in the habit of using PwC or VM as an intermediate step just because they are a little easier to work with.

AMDin93103
11-27-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

I also let #81 sit a little while before removing, seems to come off more easily that way. Real thin layers also help. BTW, #81 works very well with EX w/carnauba and #26. You get a very rich, deep looking surface. It just takes a bit more work than some other products.

You are def correct about letting it sit. My first attemp dirtied a fresh towel. All in all, I am not sure if I would use it on anything less than the discriminating customers` car. Took me about 20 minutes longer in all than my usual PwC.

-Andrew.

AMDin93103
11-27-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by NHBFAN

#81 is a good polish/glaze, but I`ve been in the habit of using PwC or VM as an intermediate step just because they are a little easier to work with.

Sun-friendly too.

-A.