PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with $300?

Porkanbeans
11-27-2004, 03:42 PM
I have a single car garage that has a bunch of junk in it, as you can see here (http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43749). I`d like to utilize the space for detailing, so I`ve freed up some upcoming weekends to improve it. I`m on a limited budget ($300), so I really need to be frugal with materials. What do you suggest I do?

P.S.- The 2 car garage posted later in the other thread needs to be the gardening storage area/family car housing, so it`s back to the 1 car.

Thanks!

LouisanaJeeper
11-27-2004, 04:50 PM
lighting, like 3 or 4 4` fixtures $100

wire in more outlets (still exposed framing it looks like, right) $30

insulation so it is not as cold.... >$50

spend the rest on making/buying shelves, tables or cabinets

scottabir
11-27-2004, 05:03 PM
agreed lighting, and shelves. you can never have enough storage space and lighting.

Porkanbeans
11-27-2004, 05:14 PM
Thanks guys. Jeeper, yeah, the framing is exposed, so more outlets won`t be so difficult to do. Lighting will be easy too, as I can splice into the wires going into the existent flourescents or just replace them and drill any needed holes in the floor joists. A vent from the HVAC was tapped into by the previous owner, so that`s a plus when it comes to a comfortable temperature. As for storage, there are great shelving units the previous owner made. My gut feeling tells me to rip out those cabinets that poke out so much and have an exposed shelving unit in place of them.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Porkanbeans
12-12-2004, 12:25 PM
Well, I`ve mapped out the dimensions of the garage. What should I put in for storage and where? I now have a more flexible budget to do this (about $800 now), so perhaps a few more upgrades can be added (maybe a floor covering like U Coatit too).

Sorry to keep dragging this issue along, but I`m completely lost as to what to do.

Thanks!