PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Z2

Pages : [1] 2

LT1Squirrel
11-26-2004, 10:47 PM
i keep reading about guys using less than an ounce of Z2 per session, but what im not getting is, HOW?:confused:, are you guys applying by hand or buffer?

after its applied: do you just let it dry?

or should i buff it off with an MF?

ive never used a polish(sealant) before, so im slightly confused

TIA:xyxthumbs

MattZ28
11-26-2004, 10:50 PM
Use a finishing pad on speed 3-4 dampened with Z6 or water, assuming you have a Porter Cable 7336/7424. I can get 4 layers per ounce with this method.....just use a few small drops per panel, let dry for 10-20 minutes, then buff off w/a microfiber.

01bluecls
11-27-2004, 01:05 AM
I can do my dad`s 04 TL including the wheels with 1/4 ounce of Z2. I found the best method for me is too used a slightly damp foam applicator (with Z6) such as meg`s foam applicators. When applying you should barely tell that any is on the paint if that makes sense. What i do is make sure that the surface is covered by looking at different angles to see if the Z2 is "smeared" on there.

When my dad was checking up on me and asked what i was doing in the garage, I said "I just finished putting a coat of zaino on the car and im letting it dry." He said "suuuure" since he didnt see anything on the car.

Bottomline, Zaino takes getting used to as far as thin layers. When i first got zaino i was doing a ounce per car....over time i have learned the proper techniques and use less and less each time.

After zaino is applied i usually wait 30 minutes at least (with ZFX) and the finger swipe test. Swipe your finger across the paint and if there is ANY smearing then it isnt ready to be taken off. You may not be able to detect smearing unless in direct light and at certain angles, sometimes looking at it dead on you will notice nothing, but look at it from the reflection of a light source and you will be able to tell is there is any smearing from it. If there is no smearing then its ready to come off. I usually use good MF towels for this.

Hope this helps....It took me months of practice to get it down right, but now that i have the hang of it, I appreciate the results of zaino even more!!!

BookemDano
11-27-2004, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by MattZ28

Use a finishing pad on speed 3-4 dampened with Z6 or water, assuming you have a Porter Cable 7336/7424. I can get 4 layers per ounce with this method.....just use a few small drops per panel, let dry for 10-20 minutes, then buff off w/a microfiber.

Matt,

It looks like you use precisely the same method that I use, with one possible exception...

I use a 7.5" LC Constant Pressure Red pad (from CMA). I apply the Zaino to the pad. Do you apply the Zaino to the pad or to the panel?

Regards,

Dan.

LT1Squirrel
11-27-2004, 12:47 PM
sweet thanks a lot fellas...this sparked a couple more questions;

1. do i have to use Z6 to lube the pad, or will a regular QD work just as good?

2. would it be allright to use the meg`s softbuff pad to apply it?, its the only pad that i have that isnt messed up at the moment:angry

BookemDano
11-27-2004, 05:16 PM
ONLY use Z6 to lube the pad! I would be very afraid of adverse reactions if you used another lube.

Regarding the Meg`s pad, if it`s a very soft pad for spreading wax and it`s clean (completely washed), I think it would work fine.

Regards,

Dan.

togwt
11-29-2004, 10:13 AM
Are you using Z2 with ZFX (the cure accelerator0 or are you using Z1 first (the polish lock)?

I`d agree with using Z6 to `lube` a clean, soft pad. I usually `wipe down` each layer with Z6 as well.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

MattZ28
11-29-2004, 10:32 AM
I apply it to the pad, not the panel. :)

LT1Squirrel
11-29-2004, 03:07 PM
the only zaino product im using is the Z2, the car is gonna be polished by #9, then im gonna dawn it and apply the Z2 `polish` with water as the lube since i dont have the Z6, then its gonna be topped with 16:xyxthumbs...

also, after the cure time of 30 minutes or however long it takes, how long should i wait to put on the wax, right then? later in the day? or the next day?

01bluecls
11-29-2004, 03:44 PM
After application I would wait at least 24 hours minimum. Or just add a topper the following week after you wash the vehichle.

VictoryRed
11-29-2004, 04:05 PM
You should get some ZFX, and use 2 drops per 1/4oz. Get some Z6, thats the trick to make it shine. Don`t use dawn, you can get a 1/2 gal. of purple NXT wash at advance for 3 bucks. A drop of Z2 with ZFX about the size of a pencil eraser on your dampened applicator should do about a 18"X 18" section, as product accumulates it will spread further. You will see it just bairly haze, and that depends on temprature, and most of all humidity, the cold will take it longer to dry, in NJ this time of year you may need a heated garage. After you buff off you can put the 16 on, and I want to see a pic cause I`m gonna top mine with a carnuba of some sort, probably soverin. I can do a extended cab silverado including doorjambs, rocker panels, under edges of hood and wheels on 1/4oz.

imported_Burlyq
11-29-2004, 04:30 PM
ZFX is a choice if you want to put multiple coats then wax in same day, but isn`t needed if you want to use it like all the other sealants.

http://forums.roadfly.org/forums/detailing/5256389-1.html

VictoryRed
11-29-2004, 05:08 PM
Notice the "THE CRITERIA and CONDITIONS" and the "

WEATHER & PANEL TEMPERATURES - WEEK BY WEEK" at http://forums.roadfly.org/forums/detailing/5256389-1.html It will never dry this time of year in jersey without ZFX.

TortoiseAWD
11-29-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by VictoryRed

You should get some ZFX, and use 2 drops per 1/4oz. I`m pretty sure that it`s 1 drop per 1/4 oz. From the Zaino website:
Pour one to two ounces of Show Car Polish into a 2 ounce mixing bottle. For each ounce of polish, add 4 to 5 drops of ZFXâ„¢ (no more than 10 drops for two full ounces), screw the cap back on, and shake vigorously for 60 to 90 seconds.Tort

VictoryRed
11-29-2004, 05:17 PM
That would only be 8 drops per 2oz. I use 2, works for me. How many do you use?