PDA

View Full Version : 44 degrees. Is that too cold to detail?

Pages : [1] 2

dlee975
11-26-2004, 06:49 AM
It`s gonna be 44 around 11 and then warm up to 55 degrees.

Is this weather too cold for detailing?

Kleanride
11-26-2004, 07:10 AM
HA! Thats almost too HOT!

You will be fine....its when your buckets of water start to freeze when you have to worry.

Kleanride
11-26-2004, 07:11 AM
Welcome, btw!

imported_pugoman
11-26-2004, 07:14 AM
55... that`s like a heat wave over here in the UK! :D

Big Leegr
11-26-2004, 08:06 AM
Not too cold for me!!

(some people have said that products shouldn`t be used below about 45F. If that were absolute, I wouldn`t have too many detail days between Sept. and May). :D

sQuashed
11-26-2004, 08:20 AM
Its only too cold if you think it is :) I detail in the upper 30`s during winter because I dont have a choice either. No problem with products as long as you keep them indoors at night.

eShine
11-26-2004, 08:21 AM
Cold weather is great for swirl removing. I wait till itâ€â„¢s just below freezing, I apply some SSR2.5 to a foam pad, and I stand there holding it on the paint then open the Garage doors! The Shivering action blows the doors off the Porter Cable. If you need adjustable speeds simply open or close the door more. All the way open is like a 6 on the Porter Cable. LOL

I hope no-one took me seriously! LOL

dlee975
11-26-2004, 08:46 AM
haha thanks everyone

jeff5614
11-26-2004, 08:52 AM
Not all, it`s mid 40`s here and I just came in from a wash and QD. The sky`s blue, the wind is calm and the car shampoo smells great.

m4xmw
11-26-2004, 09:32 AM
Its definatley colder than that in the UK...

It doesnt stop me.

I think we are a hardy bunch of Autopians in our little country...LOL.

imported_DetailGirl
11-26-2004, 09:49 AM
No way is that too cold. Granted I was in the garage, but I put two coats of UPP and one of SG on this week and not one day was it over 35 degrees. Worked out just fine, cept of course its SNOWING TODAY. I gotta get out of MN anyone got a place in GA, AZ or CA I can crash at for a few years?

01bluecls
11-26-2004, 09:50 AM
I just finished up washing my car today with the temp around 40F. Now what is worrying my is that i have 2 coats of NXT on my car from about 2 weeks ago, and its been raining about 8 days of the two weeks on and off. During the rain i could see that the car was beading/sheeting nicely. Today when i went to wash the car and water was on the paint it just kinda pooled up!!! After I finished the wash and dryed, i felt the paint which still felt a little bit slick but it didnt grab and squeak under my fingers. Now question for you all, does the cold water/weather "stick" to the paint more as if there wasnt any protection left?? It was very disappointing site when I saw the water cling to the whole car as if there wasnt any NXT left on it, or maybe is just a isolated expierence where the cold weather/water affects beading and sheeting action????

SK2003TypeS
11-26-2004, 10:13 AM
For most of us, that`s not cold at all. Sounds like a decent day for some regular washing. I`ll wash in the upper 30s provided nothings really freezing. The constant motion keeps my body warm.

If you are applying a sealant like Zaino, chances are you`ll have to wait a little longer before you can buff it out.

audipower
11-26-2004, 11:55 PM
I just did a car today in a garage and it was 35o F and 39o in the garage, toasty. The only thing that was freezing was my ballz. I have read 40o is the lowest you should do it in. The owner needed it done and it came out bad azz. I used the new Sonus SFX Series Polishes and it worked awesome. Only two polishes on a scratched, oxidized, dull black paint. The only thing I had a problem was getting it dry all the way, but it didn`t hurt claying.

I didn`t use NXT though. I use Sonus clay, paint cleaner, polishes, Klasse AIO & SG. I didn`t P21S because of the cold and it`s snowing! It would be hard as hell to wax with paste wax.

audipower
11-27-2004, 12:02 AM
45`s for the Apprentice and 0`s are for the enthusiast! Give me a t-shirt, swimming trunks, and a car.