PDA

View Full Version : Any Motorcycle detailers out there?

gkerr4
11-25-2004, 02:21 PM
Hi there - been here for a while, but not posted much really - still learning.

So I have just been out to my garage in an idle moment - I had forgotten what my motorcycle looks like as the weather has been so bad here in the UK for so long!. Anyway - being a bit `autopian` by nature, I couldn`t resist in my idle moment and thought I would try my new AutoGlym SRP on the bike!. I usually use Zymol cleaner wax on the bike and found good results by adding Meguiars Quick Wax on top - the bike is always spotless and gets a lot of comments. Anyway - I had bought the SRP and some Extra Gloss Protection (autoglym too) for my silver BMW - which had given excellent results - far better than the hard to use Meguiars gold class I had been using.

Anway, I noticed that on the tail section of my metallic blue bike, the white cotton cloth I was using the SRP with was starting to turn blue!!!!.

When I finished the tail unit i gave the tank a coat - no blue paint this time. I assume the tank is clearcoated as there is clear lacquer over the "kawasaki" logo - but then I had assumed that the whole bike is clearcoated.

So I guess I am a bit alarmed by this - should I be? It proves that SRP has a mild `cut` in it, but will this do the bike paint any harm? should I stop using the SRP and perhaps just concentrate on coats of EG? - maybe even topped with something like P21S?

Should I be concerned about this amount of cut on my car?

sorry for so many questions - I guess I just wasn`t expecting SRP to `cut` at all.

Thanks for any views /comments.

Graham

Black240SX
11-25-2004, 07:50 PM
That seems to be common -- the tank is clear-coated but the rest of the body work is not. I wonder if it has to do with the tank being made of steel, and the other body work being made of plastic.

audipower
11-25-2004, 11:31 PM
I do alot of bikes. Plastic, metal, fiberglass bodies. The best to use it Klasse AIO, then SG. Wait a day and put P21S. Plastic and Fiberglass take a while to full dry so that`s why I say take a day. That`s all you need. On metal bodies you can use clay or a super light polish. Use the AIO and SG on the chrome and metals also. Then all you have to do is wipe them down with soap and water and not harsh chemicals that tear up metal. Then get Sonus Carnuba Spritz to wipe down after washes.

I have many customers and friends tell me it can rain, and for weeks they don`t have to wash the bike because the sg doesn`t allow dirt to stick. Megs QD does, because it melts in sunlight and turns to oil. Then contamints, acid rain stick to the paint and eat it! There goes your shine.

Rx-Klasse AIO, SG, P21S. Wash with a super soft shampoo like Sonus or Meguire`s Gold Car Shampoo.

Lowejackson
11-27-2004, 01:24 PM
Dont worry, leave the SRP on for an hour and then apply the Gloss (leave at least for an hour), add a few layers and then add some wax if you wish.