PDA

View Full Version : Klasse SG Curing time before LSP

Pages : [1] 2

texas328ci
11-25-2004, 07:57 AM
Hi all. This weekend is looking perfect for a full detail of my bimmer. My question is regarding curing time for SG before applying P21S Carnauba. I know you`re supposed to wait at least 24 hours between coats when layering SG. Do you also have to wait the 24 hours before applying the Carnauba as a LSP?

Thanks in advance for your insight & Happy Thanksgiving!!:xyxthumbs

Intercooled
11-25-2004, 08:06 AM
I have not experienced applying anything over SG yet. But I have read many times that 24 hours cure time for applying anything over SG is recommended.

imported_memnuts
11-25-2004, 08:08 AM
Yes. At least 24 hrs before topping with a paste wax. The solvents will attack the newly formed crosslinking. Best results (durability and appearance) requires even a longer period of time before topping, IMO and experience with sealants. :wavey

armoredsaint
11-25-2004, 09:07 AM
Remember drying times also depend on temperature and humidity too.

Gonzo
11-25-2004, 02:56 PM
If Austin temps are anything like Houston temps this weekend, low in 40`s and highs in upper 60`s, I`d wait 2-3 days between SG layers. Add a day or two if temps are cooler than that. Then at least a week before a topper. It is just too cool for curing to happen quickly

audipower
11-25-2004, 11:51 PM
Listen here, Apply SG all at once and let stand for 24 hrs and buff off. If you let sit for 24 hrs. carnuba`s will coat much better you`ll notice the shine & depth is more intense. It`s gotten me alot of business. I do 3 coats like this then the next day I throw a coat of P21S and then BAM! Then before a car show I`ll go over and throw another coat of p21s. Never go SG, carnuba, SG, carnuba, because the sg is just taking off the carnuba. SG bonds to the paint and carnuba is a diamond molicule that sits on the paint. Carnuba melts and collects dirt @ 80o. P21S much hotter and longer because of the bees wax. I highly suggest SG then carnuba with no cleaners, then when the carnuba melts the SG is still there to protect.

imported_Burlyq
11-26-2004, 01:24 AM
Dude at least 24 hrs, better choice 48.

imported_The Uncle
11-26-2004, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by audipower

Listen here, Apply SG all at once and let stand for 24 hrs and buff off. If you let sit for 24 hrs. carnuba`s will coat much better you`ll notice the shine & depth is more intense. It`s gotten me alot of business. I do 3 coats like this then the next day I throw a coat of P21S and then BAM! Then before a car show I`ll go over and throw another coat of p21s. Never go SG, carnuba, SG, carnuba, because the sg is just taking off the carnuba. SG bonds to the paint and carnuba is a diamond molicule that sits on the paint. Carnuba melts and collects dirt @ 80o. P21S much hotter and longer because of the bees wax. I highly suggest SG then carnuba with no cleaners, then when the carnuba melts the SG is still there to protect.

Does SG have cleaners? If not, it shouldn`t take off the Carnuba. However, if you put SG on top of Carnuba, it will not bond properly to the car.

lwing18
11-26-2004, 07:50 AM
I`m a little confused. Burlyq and audiopower..... are saying leave the SG on for 1 to 2 days - - isn`t this anti - bill north method? There seems to be much support for wowo on this site.

aside from leaving on or wiping off, how much loss of benefit do you think i suffer by not curing a full day between SG`s.

I have one sg done, and planned on 2 more before p21s.....but, i`m getting anxious to get this done!

The temperature has been between 65 and 55 (overnight) degrees in my garage.

sQuashed
11-26-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by lwing18

I`m a little confused. Burlyq and audiopower..... are saying leave the SG on for 1 to 2 days - - isn`t this anti - bill north method? There seems to be much support for wowo on this site.

Great observation and welcome to Autopia.

For us "normal" people that need to drive our cars:D, Bill`s WOWO method is the way to go. Then the next day...LSP !!!

lwing18
11-26-2004, 08:38 AM
BTW, what does L S P stand for.

Last Show Polish?

Last Step, Paco?

Liquid Shoe Polish?

Last Shiny Product?

I give up.

sQuashed
11-26-2004, 08:41 AM
Last step product... lol lsp lol

imported_The Uncle
11-26-2004, 10:46 AM
lwing, however your put SG on, you need to let it cure for a day or so before adding anything else. Personally, I think SG needs more than a day, but that is just my personal opinion.

The consensus at this site is that either the BillNorth WOWO method, or the put it on an wait a long time to buff method work fine. What doesn`t work is putting it on and then drying to buff it off an hour later.

audipower
11-26-2004, 11:43 PM
It all depends on the weather if you have it inside or outside. In Ohio in the summer it`s humid, so I do it in the morning and the next night. Two cool nights help. Once you`ve done it a couple of times you`ll notice.

Your totally right THE UNCLE. You can`t buff it off in an hour, or put a coat on the same day. I sware most of it comes off.

lwing18
11-27-2004, 04:03 PM
After doing the SG, is it ok to use Sonus Acrylic Spritz, detailer before putting on the p21s.... to clean the car down, after being outside and on the road?