PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had their PC Pad do this? (pics)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

General Lee
11-23-2004, 06:37 PM
I know from time to time the velcro separates from the pad as in these two pads. But look at the center where the hole is in the velcro and look how the pad in chewed up and concaved a bit. What is causing this? I noticed that on both pads that the center is chewed up and when this happened it separated from the pad.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/stang46L/PCPad1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/stang46L/PCPad2.jpg

6']['9
11-23-2004, 06:46 PM
yeah but mine has done it w/ the constant pressure pads i dont have a digital camera to take pics though. I called CMA to replace it and they did but the one i did, did it again when i get a digital camera ill take pics and post them. Im thinking its some kind of wear indicator.

General Lee
11-23-2004, 06:49 PM
I have a new Constant Pressure pad and only used it once, and from the looks of it it won`t last long. The pads in the pics have only seen about 5 or 6 vehicles. They should last longer than that.

Eliot Ness
11-23-2004, 07:29 PM
I would say as the Velcro backing on the pad is separating it allows the pad to wobble a bit, and that motion allows the Velcro on the backing plate to chew the foam through the hole.

General Lee
11-23-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Eliot Ness

I would say as the Velcro backing on the pad is separating it allows the pad to wobble a bit, and that motion allows the Velcro on the backing plate to chew the foam through the hole.

Right, the velcro is definitly chewing up the pad. It very well could be the pad is wobbleing due to the velcro separation. These things should last a bit longer. I think I`m done with CMA pads. I have six pads, two are ruined and one will be soon. It is already breaking down after one use:down

TW85 HHI
11-23-2004, 07:40 PM
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/sondas.html

;)

Eliot Ness
11-23-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by General Lee

........ I think I`m done with CMA pads. I have six pads, two are ruined and one will be soon. It is already breaking down after one use:down

Aren`t the CMA pads made by LC? What size are you using?

I`ve good luck with the Meg`s pads, but I`m getting ready to try some of the pads at Excel Detail (A.K.A. Patrick) since he has such a good price on them (plus Scottwax gave them a :up )

http://www.exceldetail.com/excelproductsPC.html

General Lee
11-24-2004, 04:12 AM
Eliot- Yes CMA is by LC, I am using 6in. pads

Thanks for the link, also I read in a thread that there is apparently some velcro adhesive someone sells. Do you know where I could get this and if it is really worth it?

Eliot Ness
11-24-2004, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by General Lee

Eliot- Yes CMA is by LC, I am using 6in. pads

.......I read in a thread that there is apparently some velcro adhesive someone sells. Do you know where I could get this and if it is really worth it?

There are two products I remember members using to re-glue the Velcro. The first is Shoe Goo, which someone mentioned can be found at Wal-Mart near the shoes.

The second is this product:

http://www.topoftheline.com/foamfabad.html

I haven`t had to re-glue any of my pads (yet) so I`m just passing this info along FWIW.

togwt
11-24-2004, 08:00 AM
~One manâ€â„¢s opinion / observations~

Foam Pad Adhesive: Spraway`s Foam & Fabric Adhesive bonds Velcro backed pads to foam. Adhesives are susceptible to the strong solvents in auto detailing products; some of them may dislodge the Velcro from your foam pads. Make a quick repair with foam adhesive :up :up (properautocare.com)

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

General Lee
11-24-2004, 08:10 AM
Eloit & TOGWT- Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Lenny
11-27-2004, 09:56 AM
General Lee, I had that happen with my LC and Meguiar`s pads a couple of times - I thought it was better to just pitch them in the garbage and replace them with new ones (I always keep a couple of spare sets around).

salty
11-27-2004, 10:29 AM
I have a rotary pad that separated and i tried to glue with sprayable contact cement. Because i couldn`t get the spray tip in the separated groove, i had to spread it with a finger. I`m not sure if i had max contact between the two surfaces, but after letting dry for 3 days, it didn`t last more than 2 panels. I will try the Goo as i have some at work.

imported_NYV6Coupe
11-27-2004, 10:34 AM
general: I would suspect solvents in the products you`re using & perhaps you`re using too much product which saturates the pad causing velcro adhesive failure. Could also be too much heat `cause the weird spot in the middle is right where the drive shaft of the PC is located.

I read a thread at DC where a guy was going through an Edge dual-sided pad (new click-on attachment type) before he finished a car. I think the solution was the guy was really leaning on the PC & excess heat was causing the adhesive to fail.

You could check the surface temp of the pad using a digital meat cooking thermometer to see if the center of the pad is getting overheated.

Notice how the CMA lettering on the pad is illegible? I`ve used my 6" pads over a dozen times and my lettering is still as legible as some new unused pads after 12 washings. Could it be the soap that your using for pad cleanup?

Personally, I don`t like the 6" CMA (really LC) pads, the 6.5" LC pads from TOL are nicer & I really like the 7.5" LC Constant Pressure pads.

The 7.5" velcro attachment is superior to the 6" & 6.5" pads and the recessed area on the 7.5" pad automatically centers the pad on a 6" backing plate.

oaevo8u
11-27-2004, 10:27 PM
Im having the same problem with my sonus pads