PDA

View Full Version : need sugestions on the best indoor car cover?

andrew300
11-23-2004, 02:54 PM
well my 05 jet black bmw m3 is coming and i am going to need a cover. it will be garaged 100 percent of the time. the reason i need it is that i have two cats that love cars so it is a must. i know i need to qd before putting the cover on. so what is the best cover i can get that is not overly expensive (above 300). i want something that is meant for indoors and is very soft and has a lower risk of scratching the paint. i have had oem covers in the past but while they have a good fit, they also feel like they will scratch anything so any suggestions would be great.

Bill D
11-23-2004, 03:10 PM
My indoor cover is an old Evolution 4 I have on the Sunday driver but it`s also zipped closed in a Car Bag ( doesn`t matter in this particular instance) I quality flannel cover or Dustop by Covercraft ought to suit your needs unless of course the cats find the car cover appetizing! :shocked

Outdoors this apparently happened to my gf`s Noah cover but the cat must have slipped right off my Weathershield :D

forrest@mothers
11-23-2004, 05:40 PM
Dustop material in a custom fit is what I use indoors.

JasonD
11-23-2004, 06:40 PM
I`m looking for an outdoor cover, and have my eyes set on the new Weathershield HD by Covercraft. Anyone have one of these yet?

Bill D
11-23-2004, 06:59 PM
The WS HD was out at the time I got the Audi but I decided against coupling it with the regular WS ( i.e. getting BOTH :D WS covers) because the WS over the Noah works so well for my gf.

On the occasions I use the covers and it rains, a good shake of the WS by itself, while the Noah is still on the car untouched by overly saturating moisture, gets it nice and dry. I`m also sorta under the impression that the WS HD may be more bulky than the Noah :nixweiss

He he, ifanother fabirc comes along that I find more intriguing I`m definitely all ears :D

Bill D
11-23-2004, 07:07 PM
For handy reference, here`s the direct link to the Covercraft cover fabric selector:

http://www.covercraft.com/Fabric%20Guide%20OUT.pdf

JasonD
11-23-2004, 07:14 PM
So you are actually using two covers?? Here in LA we deal with major heat and humidity. I live right next to a park and the cars are covered with dust, pollen, etc. within hours after washing. The WS HD is definitely bulkier than the WS (according to the Covercraft site), but I`m sure you could still put a Noah under it if need be. My biggest concern is rain. Is the Noah more *waterproof* than the others?

togwt
11-24-2004, 06:29 AM
~One manÃâ‚â„s opinion / observations~

Car Cover Product Selection:

Covercraft Products are well known in the automotive industry as the largest manufacturer of custom patterned car covers in the world. Started in 1965 as a two-person company, now with over 500-employeeÃâ‚â„s supplying the automotive after market, original equipment manufacturers (OEM) and speciality markets with over 45,000 custom cover patterns. Made in the USA with the QS 9000 standards rating award, meeting strict international quality standards. www.carcoverworld.com

Some fabrics offer more heat insulation than others, simply because they are multi-layered and are more effective at keeping heat away from the vehicle surface, but any cover will help reduce the vehicle temperature on a hot day. They are manufactured to be water-resistant, available in various breathable fabric materials for protection against every type of climatic conditions, as well as both long-term indoor or outdoor vehicle storage

1. Vehicle Storage

a) Indoor: Dustop TM- 4 layer cover with maximum dust protection, and its soft inner layer protects paint.

b) Long Term Outdoor: WeathersheildTM HD- primarily for intense sun environments and long-term storage provides optimum protection from a multi-layer breathable (heavyweight) fabric.

2. Outdoor Weather Protection

a) All Weather: WeathersheildTM - single layer construction, provides protection from UVR, acid rain, dust, dirt, intense sunlight and its storm proof (force 8 hurricane)

b) Severe Rain Storms: EvolutionTM (TechnalonTM)- a heavyweight, four-layer fabric for extended outdoor use, but especially heavy rain protection.

c) Inclement Weather: NoahTM by Kimberly ClarkTM Ã₆a three-layer fabric to provide more water resistance than most covers as well as UVR protection for extended outdoor use, but especially heavy rain protection.

d) Severe sun exposure: SunbrellaÄ by Glen Raven Mills, Inc. In areas of high sun but little rain a SunbrellaÄ cover provides the best UVR protection for prolonged sun exposure, a durable long-lasting fabric that protects interior and exterior finish, provides almost complete UV block, fade and water resistant.

3. Convertible Interior Care: SunbrellaÄ by Clen Raven Mills, Inc.

Easy to use protection for convertibles when the top is down, the interior cover protects the windshield and the vehicle interior from UV radiation, the suns heat, airborne pollutants, and droppings from trees and birds

My vehicle cover(s)- Duststop + Weathersheild (outside adytime, cargae just the duststop)

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

Bill D
11-24-2004, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by JDookie

Is the Noah more *waterproof* than the others?

The Noah alone doesn`t meet my satisfaction. My gf used to just have it and it really didn`t do a good job stopping anything but a light rain.

The two covers is the answer for us. I`ve been using the method for 4 years will no ill effects.

JasonD
11-24-2004, 08:58 AM
Very interesting. I have a covercraft cover that I got for my mustang and it is awesome for indoor use, but for outdoors it sucks. I don`t remember if it was a Noah or something else, but it was supposed to be the best outdoor cover at that time and cost me somwhere around $300. If it rains anymore than a light drizzle, the cover gets saturated and sticks to the car leaving the fiber marks all over the place. I ended up buying a canopy to go over the *covered* car.

I think I am going to get the Weathershield HD and see how that works, and if it doesn`t repel the water enough I will look into buying a second one to go under it, maybe even a regular Weathershield or Noah.

Bill D
11-24-2004, 10:08 AM
:D Oh boy, looks like there might be a -third- cult starting, first it was the foam gun, then the Cyclo now the two covers. :xyxthumbs

Yeah, the water seems to seep in more than you are led to believe. Now, with any car cover, it`s most vulnerable at the seams.

Some time ago, I read an idea about selaing the seams of the regular WS cover with tent sealer (?) I never pursued the idea since the other cover seems to compensate for whatever gets through the seams.

Also, a thicker cover underneath, in my case, the Noah, provides that extra weight and padding you need in windy conditions ( given the top cover is secured down with a bungee cord or similar) as well as ding protection if other, non Autopian owned vehicles are in the vicinity.

JasonD
11-24-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

:D Oh boy, looks like there might be a -third- cult starting, first it was the foam gun, then the Cyclo now the two covers. :xyxthumbs

You`re probably right, but that`s okay. It`s just the Autopian way!:xyxthumbs