PDA

View Full Version : Still learnen and need some help or advice. A Rotary has been involved!

firefli
11-22-2004, 08:51 PM
I`ve posted some questions before about my red, nissan pickup, but I`m still not satisfied. My pickup is kind of my test vehicle I don`t want any harm to come to it, but I`m willing to take some risks in order to learn. The rear quarter panel had what I thought to be moderate cobb webbing and heavy oxidation. I started with some paint cleaner then went to the SSR 2.5 on a medium cutting pad with my pc set to 6. After about 3 passes the oxidation was pretty much gone but the cobb webs were still there. I tried multiple passes with DACP and a cutting pad at about 4.5. Still no better. I finally tried SSR 2.5 with a polishing pad at 4.5 then SSR 1 at 4.5. Then I polished with megs swirl free polish. Sealed with NXT. Looked pretty good, no oxidation, smooth, shinny, but still cobb webs. Now I decided to get a makita 9227 rotary. I tried both DACP and SSR 2 with a polishing pad and ran it at 1500 rpm. Finally the swirls were gone. I was real happy with how quick the swirls came out and the finished looked good. However, I noticed that the top half of the quarter panel looked darker and had more depth than the bottom half. So, I decided to try the rotary again with ssr 2 and the polishing pad at 2000 rpm. Still no changes. I figured I`d follow that with ssr 1 on a polishing pad and the pc at 4.5, some polish and some nxt. It looked good, but the top half still looked better. My question to you is why do you think there is a difference and how should I approach this now. I`m new to using a rotary so I know I have a lot to learn. So far so good. No damage, no swirls, no hazing, and no burns. Like I said before this is my test vehicle and I`m willing to learn how to use the rotary on it so If there is something else I can try with it I`ll give it a try.

MongooseGA
11-22-2004, 08:55 PM
I can`t offer any technique sugestions because I`ve yet to use a rotary.

However: If people ask why your paint is 2 different colors, simply tell them that it`s a show truck and it has a custom paint job ;)