PDA

View Full Version : Glanz Wax IS NOT a Sealant

Mikeman
11-22-2004, 02:22 PM
This is what it says on an instruction sheet I got with an order of Glanz. This throws my entire understanding of polymers/acrylics/sealants out of whack.

Glanz, as I understand it, is a non-acrylic, synthetic wax containing no chemical cleaners or abrasives. I would call a product like this a sealant......a non-acrylic sealant.

Would it be accurate to describe Klasse SG as a synthetic wax? If so, SG is an acrylic, synthetic wax, containing no chemical cleaners or abrasives. It is also a sealant.

Perhaps sealants must be acrylic. Maybe synthetic waxes aren`t sealants. If you have time, define "sealant" as the term is used by detailers. Of course, none of this really matters; but it`s interesting to me.

Mikeman out.

Scottwax
11-22-2004, 02:57 PM
I only care that the product works. Manufacturers toss out so many names for their products it really doesn`t mean all that much anymore.

01bluecls
11-22-2004, 03:08 PM
Its like Zaino calling their sealants Polishes on the bottles.... I dont believe too much of anything on bottles until I read on this site what results people are actually getting.

01bluecls
11-22-2004, 03:11 PM
By the way are you referring to Pinnacle Paste Glaz? Just curious.

Scottwax
11-22-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by 01bluecls

By the way are you referring to Pinnacle Paste Glaz? Just curious.

1Z Glanz Wax

01bluecls
11-22-2004, 03:56 PM
Ahh I see. Coo thx

Mikeman
11-22-2004, 03:58 PM
Hehe....I had a feeling the term "sealant" might be vaguely defined, thanks to marketing. Everything is clear now.....vaguely clear anyway...or is it clearly vague.....

On another Glanz topic, I`m about to find out once and for all if Glanz actually removes the fillers left by 1zMP. The test subject has several scratches that were APPARENTLY removed by the MP; but I`m sure they are still there based on my experience with the polish.

If the scratches reappear after the Glanz is put on I`ll know Glanz removes the MP fillers. If they don`t reappear then a) Glanz left the MP fillers, or b) Glanz does its own filling, or c) MP actually DID take the scratches out. Hmmm....maybe I won`t know "once and for all" .

Mikeman out.

mtodde
11-22-2004, 04:02 PM
How do you like the Glanz wax?

Mikeman
11-22-2004, 04:29 PM
I`ve only used Glanz once so far. I did the neighbor`s grey Camry several weeks ago. Application was a breeze. Looks real good to me. Longevity remains to be seen.

I`ve been a Klasse SG fan; but I`m giving Glanz a thorough trial in hopes of reducing steps. I like 1z polishes, but the fillers must be removed for SG to work well. This is an extra step. Glanz goes right over the 1z polishes.

Mikeman out.

DrSauekraut
11-22-2004, 04:50 PM
Itâ€â„¢s all semantics really . . . I mean seriously, how many times have you passed by an auto wash and seen â€Ëœpolish and wax.â€â„¢ You know itâ€â„¢s not possible, but thatâ€â„¢s how the average person thinks by relating polish/wax to a shiny, clean car.

Additionally if you have to translate from one language to another, youâ€â„¢ll call it what most closely resembles the word as a descriptor . . . donâ€â„¢t worry about what it`s called or not called and enjoy the product.

Me personally, Iâ€â„¢ve used GW on a dozen cars of varying quality and paint schemes . . . I think itâ€â„¢s really good stuff. GW is brilliant and durable and doesnâ€â„¢t involve a whole lot of work. It doesnâ€â„¢t get any easier than this :xyxthumbs

Mikeman
01-03-2005, 10:38 AM
Six weeks later.......Glanz Wax seems to be doing quite well on the neighbor`s car. I`m still seeing nice tight beading. I`ve washed it three times since Glanz application. It`s never seen a QD. The car isn`t driven much; but sits outside 24/7.

I did a red truck last week, 1zMP/Glanz. I think the GW causes scratches previously hidden by the MP to reappear. I can`t be sure though, because the lighting changed as the sun moved. I`ll need to do the MP/Glanz thing at night under the new portable halogens I just got to be sure.

In any case, the easiest/quickest method I`ve found for making a car look really good with lasting protection is 1zMP/Glanz or, if the car is swirled up, 1zPP/Glanz. PP with a PC and Sonus green pad make quick work of minor swirls and spiderwebs.

For other people`s cars, it`s 1z polishes followed by Glanz wax. The time/results ratio is unbeatable IMO. I`m sticking with SG/Souveran on my car. Hopefully I won`t need anything more aggressive than AIO or Sonus Paintwork Cleanser for quite some time.

Mikeman out.

JasonD
01-03-2005, 10:49 AM
I agree with everything you just said. That is my usual process with 1Z products. The reason you saw the scratches come back is because MP has silicones in it that hide some defects and the solvents in the GW removes them. Kinda sucks, but it just forces you to remove those defects before GW, that`s all. I usually do PP and be done. I reserve MP for black or other very dark colors just to refine the finish, otherwise PP/GW does great.

Mikeman
01-03-2005, 11:06 AM
So the lighting wasn`t playing tricks on me then. Nice to know. Thanks, JDookie! I agree PP/GW is probably better for the vast majority of situations than MP/GW.

I REALLY like the looks of that MP though. I`m going to use it as an LSP this spring on my car. Maybe I`ll top it with Souveran for a little more durability. Come fall though, it`s back to the SG.

Mikeman out.

percynjpn
01-04-2005, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by JDookie

I usually do PP and be done. I reserve MP for black or other very dark colors just to refine the finish, otherwise PP/GW does great.

I no longer have my black car, but I generally follow the same basic procedure.

NavindraLR
01-04-2005, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

I only care that the product works. Manufacturers toss out so many names for their products it really doesn`t mean all that much anymore.

:LOLOL like how zymol`s cleaner wax was rated the best polish... :nixweiss