PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Question...

Black03Stang
11-21-2004, 09:40 PM
I have a 2003 Mustang GT. It has the optional 5 spoke wheels on it. Ford`s description of the wheel is " 17" Bright Aluminum Wheel." They appear to be polished aluminum wheels and there doesn`t seem to be a clear coat on the wheels. You can see fine scratches on the wheels. I attempted to polish them with Blue Magic liquid but didn`t get any black residue. Then I tried Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish, no black residue. There was no noticable difference after polishing with either product. The wheels are shiny when clean but would look a lot better if I could polish them. Anyone have a suggestion?

imported_mirrorfinishman
11-22-2004, 03:49 AM
You could contact Ford Motor Company customer service group and find out exactly what you need to do to properly care for your wheels. Another idea is to stop by a Ford dealership and talk with their service manager.

imported_Totoland Mach
11-22-2004, 04:38 AM
Black03Stang: Welcome to Autopia from another KC area resident! I`ve got a 03 Mach 1 and the Ford wheels are definitely clear coated. You have to treat clear coated scratches like you would with paint scratches on the body. If the scratches are small, try some Meguiar`s Scratch X. Holler back if you need help.

Pondscum
11-22-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Black03Stang

I have a 2003 Mustang GT. It has the optional 5 spoke wheels on it. Ford`s description of the wheel is " 17" Bright Aluminum Wheel." They appear to be polished aluminum wheels and there doesn`t seem to be a clear coat on the wheels. You can see fine scratches on the wheels. I attempted to polish them with Blue Magic liquid but didn`t get any black residue. Then I tried Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish, no black residue. There was no noticable difference after polishing with either product. The wheels are shiny when clean but would look a lot better if I could polish them. Anyone have a suggestion?

If you used a metal polish on them and didn`t get a black residue, there is little doubt they are clearcoated. Just about all OEM alloy/alluminum wheels today are clearcoated.