PDA

View Full Version : New Client Pricing Help

Swoop411
11-20-2004, 01:57 PM
I got some inside info that a new car dealership in my area lost its one and only detailer several weeks ago. Its not a very large dealership at the moment but in a couple months will be moving to a 14 acre facility. Anyways, I am going to try and create a proposal to carry to the owner. I would like to detail their cars, but at my shop and for a price we both can agree on. I know I want to try and sell the quality of my work, but the price of my work is going to be the hard sell. They can pay some kid 7.00 an hour to "detail" their fleet any day of the week. Any advice on how to present this to get the best results? Also, what are your opinions on the best pricing for what is going to be a very large fleet of new and quite a few used cars? I also know that I am probly going to have to do the bulk of my work at their facility, but how would I best sell them on the idea of me doing a full detail at my shop? I have gargage liability coverage so insurance wouldnt be an issue. The only issue I see with that is the transportation to and from my shop perhaps. I just see a great opportunity for me here and it would be a great client! Thanks for any help you can offer me!

Kanchou
11-20-2004, 03:13 PM
photographs. lots of em. Your work must be able to stand scrutiny alone before you `pitch it.`

Then its just an issue of wether or not he wants it, not wether its better for the customers.

just a thought.

salty
11-20-2004, 03:27 PM
Generally dealerships do not want to pay for quality work, they mainly think that you are cutting into their bottom line. They want it done quickly and to hide any defects ie. AA the dash or one step hiding wax. They might be willing to pay more for their high end units though.

You will have to find out what kind of work they expect and what they will pay. Years ago i did alot of work for different dealerships and found myself, at times, over cleaning and doing `charity` work. Do a free detail or a discounted one to show your work and time yourself to find out your bottom line.

I`m not sure if this is what you are looking for. It pays the bills but has very few other rewards.

As far as doing work in your shop, finish one car and drop off/ pick up another one.

imported_mirrorfinishman
11-20-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Swoop411

1- They can pay some kid 7.00 an hour to "detail" their fleet any day of the week. Any advice on how to present this to get the best results?

2- Also, what are your opinions on the best pricing for what is going to be a very large fleet of new and quite a few used cars?

3- I also know that I am probably going to have to do the bulk of my work at their facility, but how would I best sell them on the idea of me doing a full detail at my shop?

1- Sure they can pay someone $7.00 per hour but then they really cannot count on that person being around when they need them. The point that you have got to get across to the dealership is that you will be there as long as they need your services. You are not going anywhere and that is something that the dealership can count on. Also, it is equally important to let the dealership know that your work will remain at consistantly high standards. Not that most low wage earners could not also learn how to do a good quality job consistantly. It`s just that you can provide that service every time . That is something the dealership can count on.

2- Regardless of what price the dealership expects to pay, you must price your work according to how much you need to make in order to make a reasonable profit and stay in business. In simple terms your prices should be based on the hourly rate you have established for operating your business. There is nothing worse than being extremely busy and not making enough money to pay your bills and make a profit. Basically, that is sometimes why some businesses fail. It is very important to make sure that you are making your established hourly rate. Of course, you may be thinking that it is a great fill-in situation to help your business get thru the slow times. Well, if you are not making your houly rate then no matter how busy you get due to work from the dealership, you still will not be making enough in the long run to stay profitable. Do not drive yourself out of business. Price your work so that you make a reasonable profit. Do not settle for less.

3- Why not start out by doing selective `full details` at your shop. That would give the dealer a chance to see your work. Then you could gradually get invloved in having all of the vehicles sent to your place. Then as time goes on you can sell the advantages of doing the work at your place, instead of the dealers.

Pondscum
11-20-2004, 06:53 PM
One of my first jobs was detailing cars for a dealership. I was one of those kids you spoke of (I`m not a kid anymore unfortunately and it was a LOT less than $7 per hour back then).

I can`t even call what I did detailing. It was washing, drying, cleaning the interior, and putting some dressing on the tires occassionally. I don`t think most dealerships are looking for true detailing for most of their vehicles with possibly the exception of high end dealerships.

The cars that do have to look good are the ones on the showroom floor. Most buyers expect vehicles on the lot to be clean, but not perfect. The ones in the showroom have to be cherry because this is what the buyer expects and because they are under bright flourescent lights.

Offer to detail one of the showroom vehicles (preferably a red or black one), and have the owner compare your work to his other vehicles. Tell him to give it a few days and see what his customer reactions are to the vehicle you did compared to the others. You might even get lucky and someone will buy the vehicle the next day. If you sell him on your quality of work and your quality will ultimately make him money, you will be performing a service which is not easily replaced. If you try to sell him on quantity, chances are there will always be someone out there who will do it cheaper.

oaevo8u
11-21-2004, 01:05 AM
I worked in dealerships most of my teenage years and even when I worked for high end dealers like mercedez... they would never pay for a quality job...I was the kid getting paid 7 a hour.

Swoop411
11-21-2004, 10:40 AM
I didnt mean to offend anyone and I hope it wasnt taken as a derrogatory statement. I put in my time as the person making minimum wage at a local used car dealership so I have been in those shoes. These are some great ideas and definately food for thought.

Scottwax
11-21-2004, 04:53 PM
Honestly, most dealers won`t pay top end prices for detailing. Moritz BMW here in Arlington lets their cars go out the door with rotary swirls all over them. Not enough customers complain for them to change.

You are going to have to be a he!! of a salesman to convince a dealer to pay you $125+ for details when they can hire someone for $7-8 an hour to do 2 hour quickie details.

Thomas Dekany
11-21-2004, 05:28 PM
around here $80 - $90 for a full detail. But it is up to you what you do to the car.

No more $200.00 for me from the dealer :(

Who cares!!! :D :D :D

AutoNova
11-21-2004, 06:04 PM
Most small used car dealers pay between $95-125 for a full detail around here and that includes painting the wheel wells. If you work alone that is hard to do with out taking about 6 hours, for those shops that have 5-10 detailers they can make money with flow from dealers when they pay their detailers only $40 per car.

Scottwax
11-21-2004, 10:08 PM
Used car dealers around here pay around $60 for a detail. Swirl city.

audipower
11-23-2004, 12:11 AM
I tried the same thing. I hit the luxury dealerships or used car dealerships. Luxury dealerships like Audi, MB, Lexus want there cars to stand out from the others (be shinnier and cleaner). They take pride in the finishes and there profits are higher so they might want to spend more.

Used car dealerships have cars with defects. Meaning, scratches, oxidation and other paint defects. My wifes brother in law owns a used car dealership and he`s always calls me to do cars and he`s a cheap azz. I love to go to this communist dealership (JD Byrider) that charge 24% interest and see dents, scratches, swirls and faded paint.

I got some work at Audi, and Lexus doing there higher line cars and used cars. Mainly I got help from the sales people. They where offering to refer me to there customers. That`s how i got several of my customers.

I started by working car shows, because I had friends that enter them. So I use to go with them and start talking to car owners (networking) and give them cards and show them pics. You have to have before and after pics. There not going to take your word when you tell them it cost $200. Good luck.