PDA

View Full Version : #16 application

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

JJ_
11-20-2004, 09:00 AM
OK guys i have a dual action and i have difficulty trying to get the wax onto the pad, as the tub is smaller than the pad. Any ideas?

The next question is removing the wax? Why did i find it difficult to remove, did i leave it too long, im sure i didnt put too much on.

And finally, lol its very very dusty! But used my meg`s towel to wipe it off. Lovely finish though.

Sorry i tried search and it said i had to expand my search criteria.

John :xyxthumbs

Eliot Ness
11-20-2004, 09:33 AM
To answer you question you can use something like a plastic putty knife to scrape out a little onto your pad. Apply #16 in a really thin coat and removal is much easier.

When you do a search that has less than three letters (like #16), use can use a wildcard (*) to meet the length requirement. Here are just two of many threads on #16 that I found by using one of the following: Megâ€â„¢s *16 (or *#16, or #16* ), this tip will help you with future searches ;)

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46346&perpage=12&highlight=apply%20

(look at the last post by Accumulator)

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30159&highlight=apply+%2A16

raymond_ho2002
11-20-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by JJ_

...i have difficulty trying to get the wax onto the pad, as the tub is smaller than the pad. Any ideas?

The next question is removing the wax? Why did i find it difficult to remove...

And finally, lol its very very dusty!...

You can also use a plastic knife from those plastic knife and fork sets.

You probably left the wax on too long if it`s difficult to remove. I would apply to 1/3rd the car (hood and both fenders) and then remove before putting more wax on the car. I found it only a little harder than s100 to remove. Removing faster will also probably reduce dusting.

Accumulator
11-20-2004, 11:23 AM
When I use it on a 6.5" pad, I use a plastic razor blade or a rubber spatula to spread it on the pad. It`ll turn liquid once you get it spinning on the panel, so don`t worry if it`s not perfectly uniform on the pad. Just get the pad compoletely "primed" with wax then scrape off as much as you can.

I`d bet you *still* used too much. Heh heh, yeah, I know, but really...it takes *so* little it`s hard to believe. I can barely see it on the panels and I sure don`t get enough on there to result in any dusting. Try to get it KSG/Zaino thin and then it won`t be so critical to take it off fast.

White95Max
11-20-2004, 12:07 PM
I also think you probably used to much product. I just applied #16 to my car yesterday, and I could only see the wax if I looked at just the right angle in full light. I left it on the car while I ate dinner (dried for appr. an hour) than went out and removed it with MFs. There has never been any dusting for me, and removal has been easy.

However, when I detailed my neighbor`s car (she helped) I let her apply the wax (by hand) while I cleaned all the glass with Sonus Vision. She put it on pretty thick, and it was very difficult to remove, even though we only waited a few minutes for it to dry. We went through at least 5 MFs to remove it all.

You MUST apply it very thinly and then it will not give you any problems.

koko_b_ware
11-20-2004, 12:40 PM
When I use #16, I use a plastic knife to put it on a finishing pad, then I spray the pad about 3 times with Final Detail to really lubricate it. I do about 1/3 the vehicle, them immediatly wipe off. This method works great for me, and removal is very easy.

Scottwax
11-20-2004, 02:02 PM
Dusting = too much product

I can apply any product more quickly by hand than by machine. Polishing is a different story, but just appying product, I go much faster by hand. The way #16 works best for me is to use a foam hand applicator, swirl it in the wax, apply to a section or two at a time and then remove. Best of all, I only have to go around the car one time. I can apply and remove #16 from my 626 in about 10 minutes.

AMP01
11-20-2004, 02:19 PM
Scott,

10 min. to apply and remove #16 from your 626!:shocked

It would be great to see you work sometime. You must be literally flying around your car as you wax your 626! :cool:

If you ever get a chance, have someone video you detailing a car, that would be closest to see you in action.

Keep up the great work Scott!

Cheers,

Scottwax
11-20-2004, 02:25 PM
Andrew-Bob (aka Aurora40) can attest to how quickly I can apply an LSP. He was using the PC to apply NXT and I was applying NXT by hand on a silver 350Z at the Meguiars/Autopia meet. I think I covered about 4-5 times the area he did in the same amount of time.

AMP01
11-20-2004, 02:39 PM
Scott,

Seriously, I think you should look into making some detailing videos for enthusiast detailers. I know I would buy them and probably almost everyone here would buy them as well! :xyxthumbs

Think about it Scott, it could really be a good money maker as well! :cool:

Cheers,

Accumulator
11-20-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

I can apply any product more quickly by hand than by machine. .. I only have to go around the car one time. I can apply and remove #16 from my 626 in about 10 minutes.

Heh heh, but that way you miss out on the bizarre form of satisfaction that comes from using a Cyclo to apply #16 :p ;)

And, less facetiously, the Cyclo/spitshine with Griot`s Speed Shine method gave such a different look that my wife decided she didn`t mind having #16 on her car after all. When I`d done it by hand she was pretty unhappy with it, greatly preferring the look of 3M Showcar Paste. Yeah, she had spotted the switch from 3M to #16 right away :o

But then *your* hand application might be equivalent to *my* Cyclo application!

imported_Aurora40
11-22-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Andrew-Bob (aka Aurora40) can attest to how quickly I can apply an LSP. He was using the PC to apply NXT and I was applying NXT by hand on a silver 350Z at the Meguiars/Autopia meet. I think I covered about 4-5 times the area he did in the same amount of time.

I guess I forgot to send this month`s hush money... :o

Scottwax
11-22-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Aurora40

I guess I forgot to send this month`s hush money... :o

I really needed it too, with all the rain we`ve had. 8 out of the last 10 days now. :mad: :(

imported_CincyDave
11-22-2004, 11:11 AM
I was lucky enough to find some #16 at a retail auto parts store. Tried it for the first time this weekend. First did the roof and let it dry for about 10 minutes and it was fairly hard to remove (cool overcast day, no sun). Then tried it like S100 directions - wipe on and wipe right off immediately. It was really easy to remove using that method.

Anyone ever use #16 that way? Do you think there would be less durability? I`ts raining today and it is beading like a son of a gun. I can`t see any difference between the roof and the rest of the car.

imported_NYV6Coupe
11-22-2004, 11:55 AM
I`ve used Collinite #476 this way (WOWO) & it`s a piece of cake to apply/remove using this method. IMHO, durability has not been affected thus far after 10+ washings.

If you find removal difficult `cause you used too much #16 then trap a good quality MF under a PC pad & run it at about 3.5, changing towels as necessary.

Let the PC do the grunt work & save your arm(s).