PDA

View Full Version : Removing Isolated Minor Scratches By Hand

Mikeman
11-19-2004, 10:29 PM
For purposes of this post, "minor scratches" are defined as any scratch you cannot feel with a fingernail, but still appear to be rather severe and sharp. These "minor scratches" do not come out without making a conscious effort to remove them.

I`ve found that 1zUP and a foam Handigrip applicator are all I need to erase these minor scratches relatively quickly by hand. The key is to use lots of pressure, with all the pressure on one or two fingertips. Pounds per square inch is the key to quick paint removal by hand.

The downside to high PPSI with an aggressive polish is the rather severe micromarring that must be removed. By leaving some of the scratch, and moving to a finer polish, you can finish removing the scratch at the same time as you take care of the 1zUP marring. This way you don`t take off more paint than necessary. Ideally, the last of the scratch is removed just as the polish marring disappears.

Related to this is the final appearance a polish leaves. By hand, using light pressure with1zUP leaves a noticeably better finish than UP applied with heavy pressure. With a PC, I would think that variations in pressure would have somewhat less of an effect on the final finish a polish leaves. This because added pressure is spread over a much larger area. By hand, all pressure can be directed toward a small area the size of a fingertip.

So, break out the aggressive polish, wrap that foam pad around your finger, and bear down on that scratch that has been bugging you for weeks. Check your work frequently. When the pesky scratch is just about removed to the level of the micromarring you are leaving, clean up the mess with a finer polish. Enjoy your victory over that pesky scratch.

If your clearcoat fails in a few weeks due to that scratch removal, enjoy your new rotary test panel for awhile before getting a paint job. :eek: :D

Mikeman

Accumulator
11-20-2004, 11:27 AM
Yeah, :xyxthumbs that`s very similar to how I deal with finernail scratchs behind the door handles on our Auids. I`ll caution that you can sorta wear a "dip" in the clear using the high-pressure fingertip method, so be careful doing this on the hood/etc.

Bill D
11-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Gotta get those clear door handle guards Accumulator ;)

Accumulator
11-20-2004, 04:53 PM
Bill D- If only it were that simple :( "Not for use on repainted areas". S8- deer incident, A8- semi incident. Don`t worry, I plan to get them for the next S8.

Mikeman
11-22-2004, 01:03 PM
Door Handle Guards!! That`s what I need. I didn`t know there was such a thing. Thanks, Bill!

On my scratch removal method described above, I went out the day after I started this topic to take out a few more scratches. It didn`t work! I was REALLY marring the paint bad.

I finally figured it out. The scratch removal that prompted this thread was done with a pad loaded with WELL-USED 1zUP. I had been working with UP earlier, and had a pad that was permeated with USED 1zUP. I just grabbed the dirty pad and rubbed out a scratch with heavy pressure. The marring from the UP was not bad.

Trying the same thing with fresh UP really made a mess of the paint! I do not recommend bearing down on fresh UP.

I think I may have found a method that DOES work with fresh UP. I put a dab of polish on my fingertip (no pad). I then GENTLY rubbed the fingertip along the scratch until the gritty feel of the UP was gone. This worked while leaving a level of marring that wasn`t as bad as the scratch I was removing.

Accumulator,

I think my clearcoat probably has lots of "Grand Canyons" in it. :scared

Mikeman out

thedarksyde
11-22-2004, 01:06 PM
Scratch-X was recommended to me for specific scratch area, and then after that I was planning to use AIO, will this be a good choice to help with the micro marring, or should I be using a little less abrasive after the scratch-X but before the AIO and if so what do you suggest?

Mikeman
11-22-2004, 01:23 PM
Scratch X will leave a very nice finish if you work it until it almost disappears. You will not get micro-marring. I`ve found that it works best to start small with Scratch X, and gradually increase the area being polished as the abrasives break down into finer particles. To do the opposite leaves marring around a central shiny area.

Scratch X works well on shallow scratches. It seems to round off deeper ones effectively too. I`m just using UP to REMOVE fairly deep scratches that would take many applications of Scratch X to remove.

Mikeman out.

thedarksyde
11-22-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Mikeman

Scratch X will leave a very nice finish if you work it until it almost disappears. You will not get micro-marring. I`ve found that it works best to start small with Scratch X, and gradually increase the area being polished as the abrasives break down into finer particles. To do the opposite leaves marring around a central shiny area.

Scratch X works well on shallow scratches. It seems to round off deeper ones effectively too. I`m just using UP to REMOVE fairly deep scratches that would take many applications of Scratch X to remove.

Mikeman out.

OK so UP is MORE abbrasive than Scratch X. What others (The 3M line is what I was thinking) is about the same level as UP? I perfer the 3M line over 1z...

Mikeman
11-22-2004, 02:42 PM
If you do a search for "abrasives list" you will find a post which lists polishes according to scratch removal ability. This is a good STARTING POINT for determining what you might want for a particular task. Your 3M products are on the list.

Mikeman out.

thedarksyde
11-22-2004, 03:11 PM
Wow awesome thanks.

Accumulator
11-22-2004, 09:49 PM
thedarksyde- 3M`s PI-III RC (05933) is a pretty good sorta-aggressive polish for Audi clear. Follow up with PI-III MG (05937). That`s what I use on our Audis when not using 1Z stuff.

thedarksyde
11-23-2004, 09:50 AM
If you do not have a PC can you use? 05937? I really need to get one of those things...

Accumulator
11-23-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by thedarksyde

If you do not have a PC can you use? 05937?

Yeah, I`ve used both the 05933 and the 05937 by hand. Just gotta work them a while, but no problems.

stevet
11-23-2004, 12:13 PM
When working by hand my favorite products are 3M Perfect It II Rubbing Compound Paste (PN 39502) and Perfect It III Machine Glaze (05937). The 39502 has a lot of cut but still leaves a really nice finish. Follow up with MG and I love the results.:xyxthumbs