PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Help - New Black Car

Mikey_750
11-19-2004, 01:46 PM
Hello all. I was pointed toward this website because I heard it was the best reference place for exterior/interior car care.

First a little backgroud. I have always mechanically modified and cared for my cars, but never really understood visually taking care of my cars. I have read through many posts on this site, and find so many differnet views I think I am more confused then ever. Here is my situation:

Just bought a new 2005 Subaru WRX STI Java Black from a dealership in the midwest. Before pickup they washed and detailed the car. Interior is perfect, Exterior looks like it has slight swirl marks covering the whole car. Kinda looks like they used a dirty towel to wipe it off. Anyway, I want to get rid of all the light swirl marks and make this thing look like a mirror. I am up to buying any products, $$ not an issue, just want the best, or easiest to use products that will last. I have historically been using crap from the local auto shop, and never did "steps", only wash and wax.

After researching, here is what I was going to use, all by hand granted, please let me know if there is something better, or if I am going at this all wrong:

1) Wash and dry - does soap matter?

2) P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion (by hand)

3) Klasse All-In-One selaer (by hand)

4) P21S Carnuba Wax (by hand)

I was hoping one coat of each would remove the light swirls all over the paint, and bring that deep wet shine look to it.

Please advise. I will try to attach a picture shortly. Thanks.

Mike

JaredPointer
11-19-2004, 02:05 PM
I would say soap matters. Get a good quality wash soap, and stay away from the cheap soap. NXT is a good over the counter wash. Also, I don`t know if the stuff you have will remove swirls, especially by hand.

superstring
11-19-2004, 02:09 PM
Hi Mike

Welcome to Autopia!

I, too, have a black Subaru (although it`s NOT a STi, you lucky bugger :D ).

It sounds like you may have to do some polishing to get rid of the swirl marks. The products you`ve listed won`t do much in that department. Something like Mequiar`s #80 or #82/#9 might fill the bill. Although some say you *can* use these products by hand, the best, and easiest, way is to use a Dual Action Polisher (Porter Cable is the most popular on this board) and a foam polishing pad, such as a white Lake Country or a Mequiar`s W8006. You may also want to use a (mild) clay bar right after your wash step and before you clean and polish.

So the sequence would be:

Wash

Clay

P21S Paint Cleaner

Polish

Klasse AIO

P21S Wax

After the first time regular maintenance is a lot easier! :) Good luck and have fun with your new ride!

imported_uflraptor
11-19-2004, 02:46 PM
Congratulations on your new purchase. Iâ€â„¢m sure you will receive MANY different ideas and opinions and I guess thatâ€â„¢s what makes this site so AWSOME. If there was only one way to do things it would be pretty boring around here. Iâ€â„¢ll share some of my personal experiences and opinions.

Id recommend investing in a PC (Porter cable random orbital polisher). Youâ€â„¢ve already made a sizeable investment in a fine automobile you might as well make the relatively minor investment of $100 in a PC and another $50ish in pads.

If you havenâ€â„¢t tried clay bar before this might be a great time to try it. Next youâ€â„¢ll want to try some swirl removers. Iâ€â„¢ve had some very good experiences with the Poorboys line. Always start with the least aggressive product first. You may need to step up to SSR 2.5 and follow up with SSR 1 and or maybe SSR 2. You may also want to consider VM (Vanilla Moose) just before your last step. Iâ€â„¢ve been very please with Poorboyâ€â„¢s EX on black.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Shawn

jeff5614
11-19-2004, 03:11 PM
I`ll second everyone`s advice to pick up a PC. You`ll get better and faster results than if you polish by hand. The 1Z line of polishes are also good and easy to use.

If you`ve not already, check out the learn section and download the ebook. Both are full of great info.

antwanjohnson
11-20-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Mikey_750

Hello all. I was pointed toward this website because I heard it was the best reference place for exterior/interior car care.

First a little backgroud. I have always mechanically modified and cared for my cars, but never really understood visually taking care of my cars. I have read through many posts on this site, and find so many differnet views I think I am more confused then ever. Here is my situation:

Just bought a new 2005 Subaru WRX STI Java Black from a dealership in the midwest. Before pickup they washed and detailed the car. Interior is perfect, Exterior looks like it has slight swirl marks covering the whole car. Kinda looks like they used a dirty towel to wipe it off. Anyway, I want to get rid of all the light swirl marks and make this thing look like a mirror. I am up to buying any products, $$ not an issue, just want the best, or easiest to use products that will last. I have historically been using crap from the local auto shop, and never did "steps", only wash and wax.

After researching, here is what I was going to use, all by hand granted, please let me know if there is something better, or if I am going at this all wrong:

I was hoping one coat of each would remove the light swirls all over the paint, and bring that deep wet shine look to it.

Please advise. I will try to attach a picture shortly. Thanks.

Mike

I`ll be darn I just started a similar thread about the same car. It`s so much fun isn`t it? The stares just never stop- and when it`s meticulously clean eyes go :shocked.

AJ

Scottwax
11-20-2004, 09:41 AM
Definitely invest in a PC. You will not regret it.

To take care of the swirls, you will need a dedicated swirl remover. Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze works very well on light to moderate swirls and leaves the paint looking very wet. At that point, you can use a glaze like AIO or Clearkote`s Vanilla Moose or simply go to your last step product. On black, if you are looking for decent durability along with looks, I`d use either Meguiars #16 Paste or Poorboy`s EX w/carnauba.

Accumulator
11-20-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Mikey_750

Just bought a new 2005 Subaru WRX STI Java Black from a dealership in the midwest...before pickup they washed and detailed the car. I want to get rid of all the light swirl marks and make this thing look like a mirror. I am up to buying any products, $$ not an issue, just want the best, or easiest to use products that will last.

here is what I was going to use, all by hand granted, please let me know if there is something better, or if I am going at this all wrong:

Welcome to Auotpia! I had a WRX for a few years (drove it year round) so I`ll throw in my $0.02.

1)Yes, wash matters a lot. More lubricity = less marring during the wash- very important on a black car! Don`t try to save pennies here.

2)The PCL will be too mild to remove marring from Subie clear. Get at least 3M PI-III MG (05937) and maybe some PI-III RC (05933) too. Get the PC, it`ll definitely be worth the expense!

3)After the AIO, I`d put on some SG too. It`ll give you protection through our Ohio winters. Go for as many coats of SG as you can get on there (at least 24 hours apart).

4)If you want to top the SG, get some Meg`s #16. Very similar look compared to the P21S but it lasts a lot longer and hides marring better. You can apply it by PC too.

Even by hand, I`d stick with the reommendations above.

Alternatives include the 1z stuff, which I also use. But I always liked using the 3M/Klasse/#16 approach on my Subaru. It was always very user-friendly (more so, IMO than Meguiar`s polishes) and these products just seemed to "go with" the Subaru paint; it was a good pairing of product to application. With a lot of Sg on it, I could get by with only polishing once a year or so (usually in the spring), and I even washed it with a BHB (which I sure don`t recommend that *you* try :o ).

I`ve found that Griot`s Car Wash is great with the products I`ve recommended. It doesn`t strip the KSG or the #16 the way some soaps can and it has great lubricity. About $30/gallon plus shipping.

Study up on washing (maybe look at THIS THREAD (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35232). The big trick with black is to *not* mar it again once you get it nice.

Mikey_750
11-22-2004, 07:56 AM
Thanks all. Looks like the first investment will be a Porter Cable, too bad I just dropped 5k on performance garbage, or I would have ordered everything already.

This site is great, I`ve been reading threads for hours.

Will post pictures when finished.

Thanks again.