PDA

View Full Version : Question on Interior Protectants

russell336
11-19-2004, 12:00 PM
Does anyone know of any protectants that do not have a fragrance? I have a buddy`s car to detail and he has allergies to anything that emits a fragrance.

Pats300zx
11-19-2004, 01:07 PM
How about 303??? If I recall it doesn`t have much of an odor.

mtodde
11-19-2004, 02:06 PM
I have some 3M Refresh Vinyl & Leather Protectant with Clener that doesn`t have any fragrance. It also leaves a nice matte finish. This was purchased in my pre-Autopian days at Walmart I believe. It has been sitting on a shelf for quite some time since I have discovered 1Z Cockpit Premium...unfortunately that does have a fragrance.

SK2003TypeS
11-19-2004, 02:37 PM
303 has a very faint smell and the fact that you use it sparingly helps as well.

Bill D
11-19-2004, 02:38 PM
303 is the way to go, the faint smell disappears quickly and as stated above it can be used rather sparingly :up Comes in gallons too if you really like it :D

saltydog
11-19-2004, 02:47 PM
I would also say 303, not much of a smell, I use alot on my boat.

imported_memnuts
11-19-2004, 02:55 PM
DavidB`s Autopia store has a product, "Sonus Total Eclipse" I just did some initial testing. This product and its cleaner cousin has ZERO fragrance, water-based, SPF-40 UV protection and priced right.

Initial results - excellent. :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs

(a more detailed review will follow after several uses and time observations)

Check out and ALL-I-One at:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/eclipse.html

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/allin1.html

IMO 303 though a very good product does have a fragrance.

Pondscum
11-19-2004, 08:42 PM
Armor All Original is actually a very good product. The ingredients are basically the same as 303, but it`s about 1/3 to 1/4th the price. It has very little to no odor. I use it on all my interior and exterior plastic, and on my tires. It dries to a matte finish and lasts a very long time.

01bluecls
11-19-2004, 10:29 PM
Another vote for 303!

gearhead
11-19-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Pondscum

Armor All Original is actually a very good product. The ingredients are basically the same as 303, but it`s about 1/3 to 1/4th the price.

Really?! I`ll have to try some again as 303 is by far my favorite but is kinda pricey.

TW85 HHI
11-19-2004, 11:45 PM
303 has a scent? Hmm...maybe by the time I get around to using it I am all scented out (nice wording, eh?) from other products, LOL.

303 is a very good option. No scent that I know of and it can either be glossy or matte.

Pondscum
11-20-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by gearhead

Really?! I`ll have to try some again as 303 is by far my favorite but is kinda pricey.

Armor All Original sold today is not the same stuff as I used to use over 20 years ago. They used to use cheap silicone oils. A few years ago they reformulated their product. Today they use PDMS which is still silicone, but a more expensive silicone which is water based and very safe to use. 303 doesn`t list their ingredients in the MSDS, however I`m 99% sure they use PDMS also. 303`s cleaning and UV protectant additives may be different, but I`m pretty sure the basic ingredient is the same.

I have an Avalanche with 3 plastic bed covers. It`s pretty easy for me to test various products litterally side by side. The major difference I noticed was Armor All Orig appeared to be a little more watered down which caused me to use a little more product to do the same thing, but it certainly wasn`t 3-4 times more as is reflected in the price difference. Once it was on I couldn`t tell any difference between how both of them repelled water, looked, and lasted.

togwt
11-22-2004, 09:27 AM
Interesting, that`s the first time I`ve heard of a non-sunscreen type product that has an SFP rating

imported_memnuts
11-22-2004, 12:02 PM
From DavidB`s description of his product and explaination about the SPF rating.

NOTE: For best protection from UV and other damaging elements, apply Total Eclipse every 3-5 weeks. The term "SPF-40" applies to UV protection for your skin. Usage of the "SPF" rating with this product does not suggest the product is for skin protection, but rather is used to denote a common understanding of UV protection. Total Eclipse contains approximately 10% solids by volume, which provides enough UV protection to eliminate slow fade caused by prolonged exposure to the sun`s ultra violet (UV) radiation.

Lowejackson
11-22-2004, 01:45 PM
Might also be worth doing the interior with all the doors open to let an fragrance disperse. Obviously not that easy at this time of year.