PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on cleaning wheel wells?

03COBRA
11-19-2004, 08:20 AM
I have not really ventured into cleaning wheel wells yet. I was curious if anyone has any tip to make them very clean. I just see a problem getting in there really well with the wheels and tires being in the way. Do you guys turn the wheels to get a better shot at one part of the wheel well, and then turn the wheels the other way to get the other part of the wheel well? I have the new Meg`s APC to use as a cleaner, and I figure you would want to use a scrub brush to get it clean? Do you repeat a couple of times, or just one good shot at each well? What do you use to apply the dressing, I would be using Hyper Dressing 2:1! Thanks for any help!!

-

Kyle

C. Charles Hahn
11-19-2004, 08:35 AM
If I`m trying to do a *REALLY* good job, I take the wheels completely off the vehicle. The rest of the time, I just spray in the APC+ and scrub what I can, then blast them with the powerwasher.

Once they`re dry, I either use some armorall or other cheap dressing applied with a shop rag (if it`s plastic shrouding,) or if I`m dealing with a rough-textured wheel well I`ll shoot it with some spray undercoating or black spraypaint (whichever I happen to grab at the moment.)

andriver
11-19-2004, 10:03 AM
Agree with Shiny Lil Detlr. I use a long brush with the APC.

RedondoV6
11-19-2004, 10:05 AM
Just my 2 cents ... I jack up the vehicle but do not remove the wheels ... the wheels will drop down, exposing more of the wheel well, making it easier to clean. On my own vehicles, once or twice a year I remove the wheels completely, scrub and the wells with a soft brush and dress, inspect and dress the front and back of the tires and then polish and seal the rims.

:)

EDIT: I use Castrol Super Clean diluted 1:1 in a spray gun to clean the wheel wells. Spray, leave for one minute, spray again, leave one minute, use brush then rinse well.

Raven
11-19-2004, 10:07 AM
That makes 3 of us. APC+ does a great job. When try, I spray the wells with any foaming tire dressing that I happen to have around.

vdog0531
11-19-2004, 10:25 AM
i usually use Castrol Super Clean and a brush to get the wells.

Vernon