PDA

View Full Version : Applying UPP?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

cheapshot
11-18-2004, 08:27 PM
I have had a bottle sitting around, and plan to do my sisters Honda Odyssey. I have a few questions:

Could I apply this over #80 or SMR, without effecting durability?

Does if require a cleaner before applying UPP?

Will UPP bond to AIO?

What other products work well under UPP?

How long should I expect it to last over NJ winter?

Thanks

Rob Tomlin
11-18-2004, 08:44 PM
There might be bonding issues with #80 since (I believe) it has fillers in it.

Yes, you need a cleaner before UPP, and AIO is a perfect foundation for it!

As for other products that would work well under UPP, you could try the Poorboys SSR line.

White95Max
11-18-2004, 08:56 PM
UPP works well over AIO, it just glides right on and makes the surface very slick. I applied #16 over the UPP and I almost regret it because some of the slickness was actually lost. It went from super-slick to just slick. :(

I put the #16 on because winter is coming and I need a durable layer on the car. In the spring though, I think I`ll be doing AIO, UPP, then Paste Glaz. Then it should retain its super-slickness. :up

cheapshot
11-19-2004, 09:54 AM
Rob, I plan on trying some of the SSR`s and few other PB`s products next spring. I really like the few I have tried already.

White95Max, I can`t wait to test the slickness. I hear it`s pretty sick. does it last?

A Few more questions:

-Have any of you used the Four Star Ultimate Paint Cleanser?

-Would UPC work any differently then AIO?

-Does UPP have any chemical cleaners? If so are they very mild?

White95Max
11-19-2004, 10:10 AM
The slickness lasted for a week or so before I applied the #16 on top. I washed it 3 times during that week with NXT wash and it remained very slick after each wash.

Like I said before, the slickness went down a bit after I applied #16.

a.k.a. Patrick
11-19-2004, 10:53 AM
I use UPP and BF over 80 regularly, never a problem.....

Scottwax
11-19-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

I use UPP and BF over 80 regularly, never a problem.....

Wolfgang works fine over #80 as well. Still, AIO is hard to beat as a base for anything. I prefer the appearance of VM slightly, but due to the oils in it, I don`t feel comfortable using UPP over it.

Intercooled
11-19-2004, 06:05 PM
Will Applying a carnauba over UPP deminish its slickness or other characteristics at all?

I was thinking of trying UPP and then Souveran on black.

Scottwax
11-19-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Intercooled

Will Applying a carnauba over UPP deminish its slickness or other characteristics at all?

I was thinking of trying UPP and then Souveran on black.

Anything over UPP will diminish the slickness.

White95Max
11-20-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Anything over UPP will diminish the slickness.

Yes. Like I said in my above post, I applied #16 over UPP and the slickness was diminished a bit.

cheapshot
11-20-2004, 10:25 PM
Scottwax how would you compare UPP, EXP, NXT as far slickness. Does the slickness last? I noticed NXT lost some slickness after two weeks, but still looked great, and beaded nice. I used EXP and it was also very slick, but followed with 16, so I can`t tell if slickness hung around.

RedStang
11-21-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Wolfgang works fine over #80 as well. Still, AIO is hard to beat as a base for anything. I prefer the appearance of VM slightly, but due to the oils in it, I don`t feel comfortable using UPP over it.

Besides a cleaner like the Wolfgang PreWax Polish or AIO, what is a good base for Wolfgang, EX-P, or even UPP? I was under the impression that VM provided a good base for these sealants (after all, Ranney sells those combos with VM + EX-P/UPP). I was hoping to try VM in place of Wolfgang`s PreWax Polish as a base for the Wolfgang sealant, would this not be the best choice?

cheapshot
11-21-2004, 05:55 PM
Whats the difference between mineral spirits and refined mineral spirits? Would this be a super mild cleaner?

It does say it can be layered, I was just wondering about the first initial application, and if it would remove anything.

Scottwax
11-21-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by RedStang

Besides a cleaner like the Wolfgang PreWax Polish or AIO, what is a good base for Wolfgang, EX-P, or even UPP? I was under the impression that VM provided a good base for these sealants (after all, Ranney sells those combos with VM + EX-P/UPP). I was hoping to try VM in place of Wolfgang`s PreWax Polish as a base for the Wolfgang sealant, would this not be the best choice?

I`ve used VM under EX, EX-P and Wolfgang with excellent results, I just am not sure about UPP because I don`t know as much about it or what else it is compatible with. I got a 4oz sample a while back that didn`t come with any instructions.

cheapshot-UPP is the slickest product I have ever used. Slickness does diminish over time, just like NXT and EX-P. Weird thing is, EX w/carnauba seems to stay slick longer than anything I have.

cheapshot
11-22-2004, 08:29 PM
Scottwax, I can`t wait to try UPP, I read so many good things about it, I had to give it a shot. How do you think it would look on red?

I plan on trying EX w Carnauba, along with many other PB`s products. I have only used 2 products (EX-P and PwC) and they are very nice products. Easy to use, Great results, no Frills! What colors do you like EX on?