PDA

View Full Version : Sound like a good plan?

LT1Squirrel
11-18-2004, 08:21 PM
almost time to get scared of driving my precious car in the upcoming months:p, so its the perfect time to make her pretty for winter, and protect her from zee elements....

1. Wash- Dawn, the other washed i have arent good enough:p

2. Clay- Ive been waiting to try out the Quik Clay from Meguiars

3. Polish- Ive had my eyes on No.2, i only need something with a little cutting power, and if any clay residue is left, sounds like the perfect choice:up

4. Sealant- Z2 sounds like a good bang for the buck and should last me until spring

5. Topper- S100 another heresay great bang for the buck

Pads....i need some good 8 inch pads to apply the polish and sealant, any recommendations?

also, is there any online store where i can purchase 2-5 and pads at the same place?

edit: has anyone had any experience with 4 and 5 together; how`d it work?, did 5 bond good?, how many coats of 5 did you put on?

TIA:xyxthumbs

Accumulator
11-19-2004, 11:42 AM
If my "no. 2" you mean Meg`s #2 Light Cut Cleaner, I would *NOT* recommend that you use that product. It`s for rotary only on b/c and IMO it leaves *far* too much micromarring. I used it a few times this summer just to reaquaint myself with it- by rotary, Cyclo, PC and by hand. I sure wouldn`t use it even though others report good results from it.

A beter choice IMO is 3M PI-III RC (05933) followed by PI-III MG (05937). You could use those two products in far less time than you could use #2 and also correct its marring. Or just try the MG by itself.

Can`t help you with Zaino, and I`d use Meg`s #16 instead of the P21s, especially for winter. Or maybe Collinite, which lasts even longer.

I don`t care for 8" pads, but you can get all kinds of pads from CMA, TOL, and Detailer`s Paradise.

LT1Squirrel
11-19-2004, 01:21 PM
is there a product you like to use under #16?

SK2003TypeS
11-19-2004, 02:41 PM
I`d skip the dawn wash and just use a regular car wash like Meg`s Gold Class.

I`m not familiar with #2, so I can`t comment.

Z2 under #16 should hold up well in the Northeast winter. Meg`s #16 is known for it`s great durability. Z2 and S100 has been a popular combo for a while too.

For pads, I got mine from topoftheline.com as mentioned above. The Lake country brand.

Accumulator
11-19-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by LT1Squirrel

is there a product you like to use under #16?

The stuff I usually use under #16 on Accumulatorette`s Audi isn`t avialible any more (Pinnacle`s Creme Glaze). Of stuff you can still get, I like 1Z Metallic or Wax Polish Soft, or Autoglym`s Super Resin Polish. AIO should work well too, but I only use that when I`m gonna put SG over it. I *do* like #16 over the Klasse twins. AIO followed by a few coats of SG plus some #16 lasts all winter and then some.

If you`re buying products anyway, I`d give some serious thought to the Collinite. Their 476S works great over the same products I use #16 over and it really lasts.

LT1Squirrel
11-20-2004, 09:56 AM
i have to use 8 inch pads....cuz thats how big my buffer is:p

i just picked up some Megs No.9 from my cuz, would this be good for a little cutting power?

I do have some zymol wash, ill use that

So how bout this, Zymol wash > Quik Clay > #9 > Z2 > S100...i figure that will get me thru the winter and wont make me go poor at the same time:D....does this new plan sound ok to the ATG`s?:xyxthumbs

also, im still confused on which pad does what, what do i need to apply and remove the 9?

and, is Zaino`s homepage the only place zaino products can be bought? (im trying to save on shipping by not ordering one thing from each place)

Accumulator
11-20-2004, 11:31 AM
The 8" buffer might not have the oomph for removing marring, but it`s worth a shot. You use foam to apply/mf to remove. I wouldn`t use terry as it can often mar the finish.

If you don`t already have the S100 you`ll get a lot more for your $ with the #16 ;)

Intercooled
11-20-2004, 11:41 AM
LT1, Zaino can only be bought on thier website, or through one of there distributors ,if you know one.

LT1Squirrel
11-20-2004, 11:47 AM
ok, puttin in my orders now:

Meg`s Quik Clay

Meg`s #9

Zaino Z2

Meg`s #16

wish me luck:xyxthumbs

thanks a lot for everyone chiming in:wavey

edit: I changed to a Sonus bar...supporting DB:up

LT1Squirrel
11-20-2004, 01:01 PM
***:mad:....you cant get zaino in NJ?:rolleyes: :mad:....guess either i have to find something else or find a distributor that ships to NJ...having a lil trouble here:angry

if no zaino dist. ships to nj what should i replace it with?

if a zaino dist. does ship to nj, hook a brother up with a link please:xyxthumbs

Eliot Ness
11-20-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by LT1Squirrel

..........guess either i have to find something else or find a distributor that ships to NJ...........

Just order from their website:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Any other good sealer (i.e. Klasse, EX, EX-P) probably wouldn`t be available locally either.

If you`re wanting to save on shipping you can order both the Klasse twins (AIO & SG) and Meg`s #16 here on Autopia:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/polishing---waxing.html

Plus if you enter in the code SONUS when ordering you get a 15% discount on the Klasse. Just a thought.