PDA

View Full Version : Product systems

Intercooled
11-18-2004, 04:33 PM
How do you guys feel about sticking exclusively to product systems, ie: klasse or Zaino. I know AIO can be mixed and matched with any product. Do you feel that using a system as a whole has a better final outcome?

I have also read on here that Z7 is a bit harsh for other sealants and should onle be used with the Zain system.

Are there other products with similar situations that should be avoided?

DCT
11-18-2004, 06:07 PM
I believe it`s best to at least give a product system (like Zaino, or Klasse AIO/SG) a try. Then you can start deviating from that system. That way, you always have a reference point to go back too.

However, I don`t believe it`s necessary to stick to a "product line". My favorite "POP" combo at the present time goes like this:

Sonax car wash (until it`s used up)

Poorboy`s SSR2.5 (if there are moderate imperfections to remove)

Menzerna FP II (for final polish)

Meguiar`s #81 (for glaze)

Pinnacle Souveran (for the maximum "POP")

Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe (for light clean QD)

Meguiar`s Last Touch (for final QD)

Pretty good cross-section of products there.

Mikeman
11-19-2004, 12:18 PM
I think there is a lot of marketing going on with the product systems. I like to create my own. This forum is a GREAT place to learn what a product actually is, what it really does or does not do. Armed with this knowledge one can try many different combos that will work.

One of the bigger things to consider when putting together your own "system" is whether or not the final polish you intend to use contains oils, fillers, and wax. If so, you are limited to carnauba or 1z Glanz (possibly others I`m not aware of) for protection unless you first remove these things your finishing polish left behind.

Some "systems" I`ve used successfully:

1) 1zPP - Souveran

This takes full advantage of the fillers in the 1zPP. Looks great, not much durability, quick and easy

2) 1zPP - AIO - SG

The AIO is only necessary to remove the fillers/wax the PP leaves behind. The paint is already clean and oxidation free from the PP. I`m going to try a thorough alcohol wipedown between PP and SG instead of the AIO. I`ll bet it works.

3) 1zPP - Sonus Paintwork Cleanser - SG

Using the SPC in place of the AIO, you get a little abrasive action going while you remove the PP fillers for the SG. I think this makes the final results (after several coats of SG) better.

4) 1zMP - Glanz

Based on my lengthy study here on Autopia, I think the Glanz removes the 1zMP fillers. I can`t be sure however, because the car I did with Glanz was virtually scratch free, even before the MP application. The point is that Glanz works over the fillers where SG does not, even though both are synthetic sealants.

5) 1zUP - AIO

This is great for paint in bad shape. The aggressive UP removes the oxidation and lighter scratches, leaving a finish that is just fine for a junker. Using PP after the UP will of course make it look better. That is, if you can stand devoting that much more time to a car that really needs some major paint correction via rotary/wetsanding.

Know your products. Create your own systems. You`ll probably find you can often eliminate a "recommended" step. For example, I`ve been unable to see a difference between PP - AIO and PP - MP - AIO. I use PP or MP, depending on paint condition. Using both seems a waste of time and product to me.

NOTE: I`ve only had the Autopian bug for three months now. If any of the above is corrected by a pro, or someone who has a lot of experience with many different paint care products. please heed their advice.

Oh, I have a digital camera now. I`ll be uploading shots as soon as I figure the thing out. I`m getting good results these days. It`s time to start showing off my work. :)

Mikeman out.

Intercooled
11-19-2004, 01:51 PM
Mikeman,

Thanks for the in depth reply,very informative.

Are there any two products that completly clash with each other and should be avoided being used together?

Mikeman
11-19-2004, 02:31 PM
I`m sure there are several bad combinations; but I`d bet they all relate to final polish/sealant compatibility. For example, I know Klasse SG does not "stick" well to polishes with fillers. In general, I`d avoid applying any pure synthetic sealant over a polish with fillers, 1z Glanz Wax being the exception.

Another type of mistake would be to use products in the wrong order due to a misunderstanding of what a product is, and what it does. Related to this would be inserting unnecessary steps or layering a product that does not layer.

Mikeman out.

SK2003TypeS
11-19-2004, 02:35 PM
I don`t think using a "system as a whole" leads to better outcome. Like Mikeman is saying, find your own system. Sure, most manufacturer product lines by themselves will lead to good results. I`ve used the Klasse AIO/SG combo on beige and did nothing but the dawn wash and Zaino on my blue Acura first time around and had good results.

The "mixed" systems, however, have given me better results. My last "mix" of manufacturers was Meg`s #9, Klasse AIO and Zaino. That combo really wow`d me. My paint had more depth and wettness. Not to mention, if you`re a Zaino user, what would you do to remove swirls ?

Mikeman
11-19-2004, 03:14 PM
Yeah, creating your own "systems" is half the fun IMO. This, I believe, is one reason why Autopians love to try different products. The bigger your arsenal of products, the more product combinations there are available for experimentation. You never know when you might hit on a really nice combo such as SK2003TypeS`s Meg`s #9 - AIO - Zaino he mentions above.

Mikeman out.

Accumulator
11-19-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Mikeman

This forum is a GREAT place to learn what a product actually is, what it really does or does not do. Armed with this knowledge one can try many different combos that will work...

:xyxthumbs Once you learn what different products do, and what they have in them, it`s not all that hard to mix and match. About the only "stick to the system" approach I use is always using AIO before I use SG.

For example, I`ve been unable to see a difference between PP - AIO and PP - MP - AIO. I use PP or MP, depending on paint condition. Using both seems a waste of time and product to me.

But then adding the MP step *does* make for an (subtle) improvement on my vehicles. Not a "correction" to what Mikeman posted, just a difference in our experiences. There are a lot of variables with every detail. By knowing the products and your vehicles, you`ll find out what works best for *you*.

5) 1zUP - AIO

This is great for paint in bad shape...leaving a finish that is just fine for a junker. Using PP after the UP will of course make it look better...

I *would* caution that using 1z Ultra without a PP follow-up leaves a pretty micro-marred surface. Even on beaters/rental cars, I`d have to do better than that...but that`s just me :D

But that`s getting a bit OT :o. With the exception of KSG and Zaino, I dunno if there`s any real advantage to sticking to a manufacturer`s system. Just takes the compatability issue off the table. I`ll often use many different manufacturer`s products on one exterior detail, no problem as long as you know what you`re doing. And there aren`t all that many serious mistakes you can make if you`re wrong, just have to go back a step and do it over in most cases.