PDA

View Full Version : Mother`s Chrome polish

russell336
11-18-2004, 08:32 AM
I am new to this forum but have been reading it for some time now and I need some advice / suggestions. I am an avid Meguiar`s user but have a hard time finding alot of thier products, especially anything outside of the gold class products.

I recently purchased some new rims for my wifes mustang. THey are the chrome Cobra type R rims and I want to make sure I have everyting I need to care for them properly.

Right now my plan is to apply Mother`s Chrome polish followed by Meguiar`s NXT wax prior to mounting them on the car.

Does this sound like a good plan or is it overkill applying both the polish and the wax?

Is there any chance that either of these products, by themselves or in combination, would harm the finish? I have used the NXT on my trucks chrome bumpers but have nevered used the mother`s polish.

How often would I need to apply the polish / wax once the rims are on the car?

I also saw some Mother`s Billit polish, is this a better product vs. their chrome polish? I know it cost twice as much but that doesn`t mean it is better.

Would I be better off ordering the meguiar`s chrome polish on-line or even soem other product as opposed to using the mother`s?

I apologize for this being so long but I want to make sure these last a very long time as they cost a good bit of money.

Thanks,

imported_memnuts
11-18-2004, 08:46 AM
Mother`s Chrome polish lays down a polymer protectant in addition to cleaning/polishing chrome. Works extremely well and I use this product for my Z28 and Escalade chrome wheels. They look and maintain that appearance quite well with just a monthly rejuveniation by Mother`s and weekly normal car shampoo washes. No wheel cleaner has been necessary yet.

If you follow the Mother`s with NXT you will still have a polymer protectant in place but just one - NXT.

NXT IMO is unnecessary if you are using the Mother`s. You can forego the Mother`s and just use NXT but I am not sure NXT was formulate to withstand the rigors of a wheel`s environment (i.e. heat).

On the inside of the rims I do suggest polishing and applying a true sealant (Klasse, Zaino, Meg#20). These type products really decrease the amount of adhering dirt and makes cleaning quite a bit easier with proper tools (soft brushes, car soap and pressure washer) with or without remove wheels from vehicle.

Sealant application also holds true for exposed surfaces which are easier to clean and apply. Therefore, a less durable product is not a problem.

Big Leegr
11-18-2004, 08:55 AM
Well, I can help a bit.

Mothers Billet polish isn`t recommended for chrome, so that`s out.

Mothers Chrome Polish cleans, brightens and protects, so you probably don`t need to coat the rims with a wax after. Says "safe for black chrome and show chrome plating," so you shouldn`t need to worry about it damaging anything.

I haven`t tried the Meguiar`s chrome polish (I have a hard enough time finding enough chrome to use up what polish I already have!).

As to how long it will last, that depends on various factors. Basically whenever they don`t look shiny, is when I polish.

Someone with more experience with chrome is bound to come along shortly, but now you`ve got some info on what not to use.

Good luck!

Edit: Boy I type slow!

imported_BretFraz
11-18-2004, 08:55 AM
To add to Edwin`s comments, Mother`s billet polish is milder than their chrome polish. On chrome plated wheels, Mothers chrome polish is perfect.

You can top with NXT if you like but as Edwin said, there is no need. Mothers chrome polish has a protectant in it and will work fine as is.

You can polish them as much as you like. If you use a wheel cleaner every time you wash the car, it`s probably smart to reapply a protectant as the cleaner will remove any wax or sealant.

russell336
11-19-2004, 11:30 AM
Ok, I went ahead and used the Mother`s chrome polish on the rims and put them on the car. I loaded them to my gallery but you can see a few here. The gallery can be found here: My Gallery (http://autopia.org/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=19437&cat=500&thumb=1)

Y`all let me know what you think. They definitely give a different look to the car.

Sorry for the picture quality as I used my digitial and it was dark outside so they didn`t turn out the best. Oh yeah and the car hasn`t been through it`s weekly wash yet!

Old Rims:

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/19437oldrimsonmustang_-_2.jpg

New Rims:

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/19437newrimsonmustang_-_4.jpg

Thanks,

imported_memnuts
11-19-2004, 03:03 PM
Rims look great but really hard to tell from picture. love that classic design.

Time for a suspension kit (lowering) and larger disc/calipers since you went with the 18" and ultra low profile tires.