PDA

View Full Version : PC Questions

temposs
11-17-2004, 10:41 PM
I`ve been reading this forum for about six months, and this is the first time I`ve decided to post. I think I`ve gained a fair amount of knowledge from everyone on here, and feel I`ve built up some detailing skills. I`m wanting to get a PC definetly, but I have a couple of questions.

I`ve heard conflicting information about the differences on the PC 7424 and the 7336. Lowes has the 7336 for $91.00 right now, and I had heard they have the proper counter-weight for 6" and larger pads. If this is true, it seems I might as well just save some time, and money, and pick up the 7336?

I`ve been using Megs 3 Step System on my truck for about 5 months now and have been overall pleased with the results. It leaves a smooth finish that lasts for about a month, but the shine and "deep wet" look everyone talks about here disappears a bit quickly. I`m looking to upgrade to something that works well on the color red. My paint is in decent shape, a few tiny scratches here and there, with my hood getting repainted this spring.

So basically, to get the most out of the PC, I`m going to be purchasing some pads and polishes online. I really don`t know too much about the popular polishes for the PC, so some suggestions there for my red Explorer would be appreciated. Thanks.

scottabir
11-17-2004, 11:59 PM
My generic reply to what polishes to use is this:

Beginner with a PC 1Z polishes or Poorboys.

These *IMHO* are the easiest to get used to and offer a beginner with great results.

As for a LSP on your red vehicle, I would suggest something like EX for a sealant type product and TS or souveran for a good carnauba.

Although the TS or Souveran will have to be reapplied every month or so. If durability is the main concern for you I`d go with something like #16 (note: *I* have not used this wax, but a lot of members seem to like it and give it a :up on durability)

Olorin
11-18-2004, 12:21 AM
The only difference between the PC7424 and the 7336 is the counterweight. The 7424 has a 5" counterweight, the 7336 has a 6" counterweight. If you`re using a 6" foam pad, the 5" weight is technically the correct one. However, Sonus`s pads are 7", and some people claim the 6" counterweight yields less vibration. I worried for a while about it, and never saw a definitive thread. The reason for that, though, is that it isn`t a huge deal. Whichever version of the PC autopian members bought, they`ve been happy with it. You can`t really beat that price, so I`d just go to Lowes and pick one up.

As for polishes..

Meguiars #83(DACP)/#80

Poorboys SSR2.5/SSR1

1Z UPP/PP

Menzerna IP/FP

P21S paintwork clensing lotion

Sonus SFX1/SFX2

Also, ClearKote`s VM is very popular, and can be substitued in any of the above combinations for the second step. (i.e. #83/VM). I`d say that list is a good ranking of how popular the polishes are. Poorboys and Meguiars are tied for first. More people use Meguiars, but less people complain about Poorboys. IZ polishes have a pretty devout following. Some people complain that the Menzerna polishes, which are made for rotary, don`t work as well with a PC. Then again, other people swear by the menzerna polishes. P21S`s polish is extremely mild, mild to the point where you might as well use AIO. The Sonus SFX polishes are a new product, so they`ve yet to achieve any real popularity.

I`d probably just go with DACP on a polishing pad, followed by #80 on a polishing pad, followed by #16. Depending on how bad your scratches are, you might be able to skip DACP and just use #80 -> #16. This should give you the "deep wet" look you`re after, and last a long time as well.

imported_pugoman
11-18-2004, 12:54 AM
$91 is a very good price for a PC - I say pick one up before they`re gone! As for the counterweights... I wouldn`t worry too much. I have both 5" and 6" counterweights for mine and notice very little difference between the two - but I`m pretty sure using the 5" weight gives me slightly less vibration, but that could be my imagination! You can always get the other weight for just a couple of $$ if you feel you want to try it.

For user friendly polishes for the first time PC user, I`d agree with the above recommendations - Megs #80, Poorboys SSR range, 1Z triplets.

As for LSP`s on red... NXT wax, Poorboys EX and/or Natty`s, P21S Wax, Souveran, CK Moose twins to name a few.