PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to wash your car?

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_The Uncle
11-17-2004, 11:54 AM
I`m talking in terms of washing mitts, sponges, etc. I`ve been using some microfiber sponges that I get at Target. They seem to do a good job, and have not produced any swirls or surface problems (although I`ve very careful). My main problem with them is that they get dirty easily and don`t seem to get clean with soaking. So, I find that I need to replace them every once in a while. When I wash my car, I have a rinse bucket with three of four of them, because I`m always worried about picking up little bits of dirt.

What I would really like is a microfiber product (but probably not a mitt - which I don`t tend to like) that could go in the laundry. I`d like to be able to wash it after every use.

MongooseGA
11-17-2004, 12:53 PM
I use sheep skin mits.

TW85 HHI
11-17-2004, 01:11 PM
Sheepskin mitts from Wal-Mart. They`re actually pretty decent quality.

Lochi
11-17-2004, 02:05 PM
I use the Chenille Wash Pads from Pinnacle :xyxthumbs

imported_The Uncle
11-17-2004, 02:08 PM
Those pads look good. How do you clean them afterwards?

Accumulator
11-17-2004, 02:22 PM
The Uncle- since you`re washing without marring, I dunno if I`d change anything. I use plenty of mitts in the course of washing a car as they just don`t always rinse clean. The only things that truly *do* rinse clean are BHBs, which have their own issues.

Why can`t you just put the MF sponges in the washing machine? I`ve washed plenty of sponge-inside items that way and even though they tend to float around a lot, they do seem to come clean.

I use cotton, MF, and wool mitts, depending on the vehicle and the method I`m using (cotton and MF for my foam gun/mitt-balloon method). I still use BHBs on the MPV as they (inexplicably) don`t mar its clear.

The only problem I have with the MF mitts is the same thing you`re dealing with- they tend to retain certain kinds of dirt.

ALAN81
11-17-2004, 02:25 PM
SHEEPSKIN MITTS really like them a lot but don`t put my hand inside I use them like a sponge with my hand on the outside.

imported_The Uncle
11-17-2004, 02:26 PM
Accumulator - Thanks for your comments. Very helpful advice all around.

imported_NYV6Coupe
11-17-2004, 02:32 PM
Wal-Mart sheepskin mitts ($5) & cotton chennile mitts (< $5)

Accumulator
11-17-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by ALAN81

SHEEPSKIN MITTS really like them a lot but don`t put my hand inside I use them like a sponge with my hand on the outside.

Yeah, I do something similar; when I use sheepskin ones I fill them with wash solution (dunk in wash bucket with cuff open and on top) and hold them shut by grabbing the cuff. The wash solution seeps out of the mitt as I move it across the panel. I`ll do about half a door-size panel with each "fill". Lots of lubrication with all that solution on the panel.

l33
11-17-2004, 02:52 PM
Accum, i thought you were using Natural Sea Foam Sponges :rofl

Pats300zx
11-17-2004, 02:52 PM
Eurow Sheepskin Mitt. .. :)

Accumulator
11-17-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by L33

Accum, i thought you were using Natural Sea Foam Sponges :rofl

Heh heh heh...

imported_DARKSTI