PDA

View Full Version : Car Repair No Wax?

thedarksyde
11-17-2004, 10:18 AM
The car got hit and is going in to get her boo boo fixed next week, they use Speis Hecker paint, and the last time I got Speis, they told me no waxing for one month...

Is this correct? What does "waxing" mean, does that mean any type of polish?

What about AIO + SG?

Opinions, thoughts, best practices?

togwt
11-17-2004, 10:25 AM
~One manâ€â„¢s opinion / observations~

Newly re- painted vehicle- How long do you have to wait before you can polish or wax a newly painted vehicle surface? A glaze (3M Perfect-It III Show Car Finishing Glaze) contains a protective polymer that is completely safe for fresh paint, as it allows the solvents to evaporate. Abrasive polish should be avoided until the paint has cured but vehicle washing is encouraged (avoiding harsh detergents, quick detailers or any car wash that contains wax)

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

Accumulator
11-17-2004, 10:33 AM
Yeah, whenever I have my S-H paint redone I give it at least two months, sometimes more. In the meantime I use either 3M IHG or Meg`s #5/#3/#81/#7 (in order of *my* preference). If I need to polish out some marring I`ll use either Meg`s #80 or PI-III RC/MG. Don`t use the K twins until it`s finished curing.

Depending on what you`re getting fixed, you`ll possibly even be able to *smell* the paint outgassing. If you "smell paint", it`s still curing. Even with winter coming, I`d wait a good long time before I waxed/sealed the fresh paint.

The products TOGWT and I mentioned, and also Mother`s glaze, are safe for use on fresh paint. I dunno about any others, but I`d be very cautious about what you use.

Scottwax
11-17-2004, 12:13 PM
When the front end of my car was repainted using Spies-Hecker paint, I was advised that I could polish my car as much as I wanted but to not seal it with wax for 90 days. During that time, I polished the paint with Meguiars #81 Hand Polish every week or two and followed with #34 Final Inspection to provide at least some minimal protection.

ALAN81
11-18-2004, 05:54 AM
When a car comes out of the body shop they tell you NO WAX NO POLISH NO ANYTHING on the paint for at least 30 days to let the paint cure.Just wash Why would put anything on the paint and risk screwing up your finish.I have been down this road plenty of times with my wife`s cars and when I did start to wax I used wax and made sure it had no abrasive cleaners.This is just me but Im sure I am right on this one

Gonzo
11-18-2004, 06:56 AM
I`ve got 3 day to go since my boo boo was repaired. Per the advice of the body shot, nothing :nono but wash soap and water - it KILLING me....... :wall

Accumulator
11-18-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by ALAN81

When a car comes out of the body shop they tell you NO WAX NO POLISH NO ANYTHING on the paint for at least 30 days to let the paint cure.Just wash Why would put anything on the paint and risk screwing up your finish...This is just me but Im sure I am right on this one

Guess it depends on the paint and the painter, but I`ve never been told that. Every car I`ve *ever* had painted (and that`s literally dozens of cars over the years with everything from nitrocellulous lacquer to the latest b/c) was wetsanded/polished/glazed/etc.- some process like that- after it was painted as part of the job. No problem using fresh-paint-safe products on them; the shop already has, and that`s what the products are made for. Any protection from such products is better than nothing, IMO, and the oils commonly found in such products makes it less likely that contamination will stick to/damage the fresh paint.

We can agree to disagree on this one :cool: but I just don`t see a problem as long as you don`t interfere with the outgassing.

ALAN81
11-18-2004, 12:49 PM
I can live with that BUT I only repeated what I was told.I guess it depends on the paint and body shop.Why would you want to start putting wax and polish on paint that is a few days old? I always thought that waiting for the paint to cure was a good idea but maybe im wrong,but that me anyone else want to chime in?