PDA

View Full Version : which color polishing pad should I use?

93mr2red
11-16-2004, 08:30 PM
I am purchasing the 7424 dual action pc.

I will be polishing a red car with a hazy oxidation.

I will be using duragloss pre cleaner first, followed by duragloss polish.

This is my first time using a pc.

Which color sponge should I use to apply what product?

Thanks

Thomas Dekany
11-16-2004, 10:42 PM
I`d use a polishing pad (white from LC) for both products. But since we don`t know much about the paint, you may need to use a cutting (yellow LC) pad with the pre cleaner. Hope this helps.

audio1der
11-17-2004, 06:50 AM
I`ve been reading more and more threads where guys use LC white pads for everything, making me think buying only 1 yellow pad would suffice (along with 3 white and 1 gray).

I thought it would take a yellow pad to take care of decent oxidation or scratches- was I wrong?

(I thought this was right in line with the thread- excuse me if it is not!)

:nixweiss

Eliot Ness
11-17-2004, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by audio1der

....... making me think buying only 1 yellow pad would suffice (along with 3 white and 1 gray)........

I find the LC or Sonus orange (light cutting/polishing) pad to be very handy to have around. More bite than the polishing pads and not as aggressive as the yellow.

BookemDano
11-17-2004, 07:02 AM
I use rarely use my LC Constant Pressure Yellow pad. White is my "go to" pad, with Orange for the heavier stuff. I have the black (AKA gray) pad for glazing, but I rarely use it. I like the Red pad much better for LSP.

I have a set of both 6" and 7.5" LC CP pads. I like the 7.5" better, but I`d recommend the 6" for a newbie.

My primary polishes are Menzerna IP and FPII My LSP is Zaino Z2 and Z5.

Regards,

Dan.

togwt
11-17-2004, 09:25 AM
~One manâ€â„¢s opinion / observations~

Foam Pad Selection:

Cutting (*Yellow):

LC Durastrand, this innovative "foam strips" pad is designed without a smooth surface. This enables it to hold a lot of oxidized paint without "loading up" or gumming up the surface like regular foam cutting pads. The hundreds of swirl-free foam strips reach every crack and crevice and hold a great deal of oxidized paint. This pad does not leave swirls, so there is no additional compounding (Speed # 4-4.5) Pad size-8.5-inch.

Levelling Pad (Wool):

Choose 100% twisted wool for your most aggressive compounding applications. This pad is ideal for applying metal polish to large metal surfaces such as diamond plate on trucks, aluminium trailers and aircraft. A wool-acrylic blend for light cutting, these pads will level surface blemishes and remove sanding scratches, and inexperienced operators should not use wool pads as they can leave swirl marks. For light compounding of fresh paint, get a superior finish with electrified sheepskin pads. (Speed # 4-4.5)

Medium Cutting Pad (*Yellow)-a harder more dense foam composition with an abrasive cutting action, for use with a medium abrasive polish, Machine Polish 1 or 2, Swirl Mark Remover, or Autoglym Paint Renovator Polish (Speed # 4-4.5)

Polishing / Light Cutting Pad (*Orange)-a mid range, high density foam composition with a medium abrasive cutting action, for use with a Swirl Mark Remover, Pre-Wax Paint Cleaner, Klasse All-In-One, or Autoglym Super Resin Polish (Speed # 4)

Polishing / Waxing Pad (*White)-a softer less dense foam composition with a light abrasive cutting action, for use with a Swirl Mark Remover, Pre-Wax Paint Cleaner, Klasse All-In-One, or Autoglym Super Resin Polish (Speed # 4)

Finishing Pad (*Black/ Gray)-a smooth foam that has no abrasive cutting ability, for use with Klasse High Sealant Gloss, Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection, Zanio Z-2/ Z-5 or a Glaze (Speed # 3)

Concourse Finishing Pad (* Red) â€â€œthis ultra-smooth foam has no cutting or cleaning ability. This new, ultra-smooth European foam was introduced in 2004 for applying a LSP wax or paint sealant. This Hi-Gloss constant pressure, finishing pad glides over the surface creating a mirror-like shine. This pad can also be used for â€Ëœlayeringâ€â„¢ wax or sealant. (Speed # 3)

*The foam pad colour identifications and specifications are by Lake County Manufacturing (LC) (www.lakecountrymfg.com) this company uses European engineered foams specifically designed for compounding, polishing and buffing

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM