PDA

View Full Version : Is trim the first or last thing you do?

xhaust50
11-16-2004, 07:26 PM
For those who detail other`s cars, and the trim needs to be lightly restored, is it the first or last exterior task that you perform? I`m trying to think of which would be most effective, but I`m going in circles. If I tape off the trim, polish the paint, and then fix the trim, I`ll probably end up with some smearing on the paint. But if I do the trim first, i would have to tape it off while polishing the paint, and then there would probably be tape residue left on. What do you do?

TW85 HHI
11-16-2004, 08:03 PM
I do the trim at the same time I am applying AIO to the car (trim gets AIO). The trim is taped off, if need be, after a sealant.

scottabir
11-16-2004, 08:24 PM
3m painters tape will be your best friend in this situation...do it first and tape it off. Be sure to have your dressing dry before you put the tape on so it doesnt leave a blotchy trim job and the tape sticks better.

Bill D
11-16-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by TW85 HHI

I do the trim at the same time I am applying AIO to the car (trim gets AIO). The trim is taped off, if need be, after a sealant.

AIO on trim, then followed by SG is the answer for me when it comes to trim protection, it did an outstanding job reviving the plastic trim around my old Maxima `s windows. No issues trim dressings always seem to have :up