PDA

View Full Version : Using a PC on 3M X-Pel?

yankees1
11-16-2004, 03:46 PM
The 3M product X-Pel[AKA Clearbra, etc] has been installed on my car nose for a couple of years now. It has some light scratching and marks left by the installer when he squeeged[sp?] out the solution during installation and from normal cleaning. Can a PC buffer be used like you would on paint to remove these marks?

togwt
11-17-2004, 05:05 AM
~One manâ€â„¢s opinion / observations~

I would suggest you use a plastic polish

Application Methodology:

· Use a 5:1 solution of distilled water / Isopropyl alcohol to ensure plastic surface is clean

· Prior to application of a plastic polish (Meguiarâ€â„¢s PlastX or Renovo Plastic Cleaner) ensure that the plastic is clean and free from dust particles by washing with a soft cloth and warm water.

·It is not advisable to use cleaning detergents on plastic.

·Shake the bottle thoroughly. Plastic polish can be hand or machine applied

·Using a random orbital buffer with a 3.5-inch backing plate and a 4-inch (LC White) polishing pad using little or no pressure, just the weight of the machine or a terry cloth applicator

·Place a small dab (about ½-inch diameter) of plastic polish on the foam pad or applicator.

·Place the pad on the plastic surface and turn on the machine (speed #4)

·Polish repeatedly in a left-to-right and an up and down pattern.

·Continue polishing until all the polish is gone

·Wipe the plastic with a damp Microfiber towel

·Inspect and repeat the polishing process if necessary

·Plastic polish will not remove clarity defects that are within the plastic but it will remove external/surface scratching and oxidation (yellowing)

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

yankees1
11-17-2004, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by yankees1

The 3M product X-Pel[AKA Clearbra, etc] has been installed on my car nose for a couple of years now. It has some light scratching and marks left by the installer when he squeeged[sp?] out the solution during installation and from normal cleaning. Can a PC buffer be used like you would on paint to remove these marks? Thank you! I will try it!

Beez
07-28-2006, 10:57 AM
any results on this? I have a scratch on my 3M X-pel I`d like to buff out but am not sure on how to go about doing it. I`ll give this method a try but if someone else tried it and it didn`t work that`d be good to know up front. Thanks

Beez
08-04-2006, 03:36 PM
Well it didn`t work too well. I tried a buffer and the Mequiares plastic polish stuff and it just made the scratches smooth but they must be too deep to polish right out.