PDA

View Full Version : microfiber vs. cotton flannel

Espada
11-16-2004, 02:18 PM
I use cotton flannel for waxing and polishing. I buy it by the yard from the fabric store and select the softest one, and discard after one use. Is this an outdated approach? Is microfiber better - yet I am reluctant to use any synthetic for polishing in the belief (perhaps outdated) that synthetics always scratch more than cotton.

a.k.a. Patrick
11-16-2004, 02:27 PM
I believe your methods are still good, but somewhat outdated with todays technology available. Microfibers (Quality ones) can put your mind to ease, as well as muscle fatigue. They wont scratch if properly cared for. Anything with a decent thread count of 100k or better should be great for use. How do you tell ? Buy from a reputable source, or ask what everyones using, or even do a search for them on here.

MongooseGA
11-16-2004, 03:14 PM
Since Patrick isn`t allowed to say it due to forum rules:

He`s an excellent reputable vendor. www.ExcelDetail.com .

Hopefully I can get a package from him soon, Christmas is coming :D

medic159
11-17-2004, 09:11 AM
Flannel is a very tight weave and even if it`s cotton it could scratch as it matts down easily. Always try to stay with a terrycloth weave whether it be microfiber or not.

togwt
11-17-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Espada

I use cotton flannel for waxing and polishing. I buy it by the yard from the fabric store and select the softest one, and discard after one use. Is this an outdated approach? Is microfiber better - yet I am reluctant to use any synthetic for polishing in the belief (perhaps outdated) that synthetics always scratch more than cotton.

Micro fibre by definition (very small; involving minute quantities or variations) is not a fabric; it is a yarn, spun into thread, which is then used to weave a fabric. These ultra-fine yarns (2X as fine as silk and 100X finer than a human hair) are made form various sources They can be made from nylon, polyester, nylon by-products or a natural material such as cellulose (a plant carbohydrate) both linen and cotton are natural plant fibres.

The smaller the diameter of the yarn, the softer the fabric will feel, however this does not mean that its non-abrasive and will not cause scratches (this softness can also be chemically induced) Most Microfiber that originates from Asia and the far east is fabricated from nylon, polyester or nylon by-products. Because the label says Microfiber is no assurance that the material is safe to use or that it is non-abrasive.

Its scratch resistance has a lot to do with the way the fibres are processed and spun, there are too many factors to be able to say conclusively that natural fibres will not cause scratches and artificial fibres will. In my opinion, however, natural fibres are far less likely to scratch.

~Hope this helps~

Alfisti
11-19-2004, 12:32 AM
espada, I was cautious like you, but now I`m a convert.

I recently used a very soft 100% egyptian-cotton terry towel to remove wax on a dark car and it put fine scratches on it.

I then tried my new MF towels (two types) and neither left any marring on it, regardless of how hard I pressed!

The two types:

Khaki budget MF from Autopia Car Care (http://autopia-carcare.com/kikhdeto.html)

Ultra MF from Pakshak (http://www.pakshak.com)

Buy with confidence. :xyxthumbs

Espada
11-24-2004, 08:09 PM
Alfisti - my brother has a 1986 GTV-6. What is your alfa?

White95Max
11-24-2004, 08:21 PM
Get some microfiber. Patrick sells excellent MFs that will NOT scratch your car. MF works much better than cotton, and will not leave lint all over your car or fill the lint screen in the dryer.

Alfisti
11-24-2004, 10:50 PM
espada, I have a white 1990 Alfa 164.

A few weeks ago I did the cam belt and turned my beautiful engine into shrapnel! :angry :angry :angry

buttashine
11-24-2004, 11:43 PM
I never thought about flannel, but microfiber has changed how I feel about detailing. When a sealant sticks a little during application microfiber is a must. Once in a while you`ll need a qd to help here to, but the main thing is MF. Also, I used to HATE doing windows! Now, they are a breeze with micro and water. You definitly have to at least give them a try. I am very impressed with viking microfiber towels, its my personal fav. However, I use synthetic sponge type things for drying the car. sonus is a good 1. These synthetics will never scratch your car, sonus drying or any micro, unless you trapped a pepple in dere. Hey, newbie here, who`s patrick?

White95Max
11-24-2004, 11:45 PM
Yes MF towels with a little water can do wonders on glass. And with glass cleaner...the job is done in no time with little effort.