PDA

View Full Version : thin, dry, dull, full of micro scratches. Not sure where to go...

jrush
11-16-2004, 01:07 PM
Been a while since I have posted. Good to be back.

I`m in the market for some new products, could use some opinions. I`m working on my new (to me) 90 Mustang. The paint is there, but no shine, full of micro scratches and swirl marks, and apears very dry. I was thinking of going with all 3M producs this time around. I have a PC, need new pads though. Could use some reccomendations on a compound, polish, glaze and wax.

On a side note, Just messing around I used a little Zymol cleaner way I had laying around, on the spoiler and it really brought out a nice dark finish. I had used Menzerna IP & FP with Klasse and P21S in the past but jsut looking to change up for fun.

Thanks,

Joe

s2skimon
11-16-2004, 01:36 PM
i`d recommend the poorboys ssr line for compounding topped , then EX , and then you can even top it with Klasse SG , then go natty`s or s100 since it`s black.. if you have the cash, top it with Souveran..

the choices are plenty..

togwt
11-18-2004, 05:15 AM
~One manâ€â„¢s opinion / observations~

3Mâ€â„¢s Machine Polish (Rubbing Compounds):

Are used to remove surface imperfections and are formulated with lubricants, solvents and water, and abrasive 0.3-micron granules, which diminish with use providing a progressively finer abrasive polish that will burnish the paint surface and provide a gloss. They are buffered or cushioned in a rich, lubricating oil film, usually in a semi-liquid paste.

Available in many different grades (the ability to abrade i.e. to remove levels of paint) for detailing work they usually range from a 2000< grit polish (very mild) to a swirl mark remover (a medium abrasive) 1500 grit or a compound (various levels of abrasive) 1000 â€â€œ 800 grit

[a) 3M Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound-Fine Cut 39002]

Edit 11.19.04

b) 3M Finesse-It II Finishing Material Machine Polish 39003

c) 3M Perfect-It II Swirl Mark Remover 39109 (For light coloured vehicles) or 39009 (For dark coloured vehicles)

a) most abrasive â€â€œ (c) least abrasive

3M Imperial Hand Glaze 39007

There is also a Perfect-It III range (check their website) I`ve been using Iz polishes for a while and like them

[Added 11.19.04]

a)3Mâ„¢ Perfect-It 3000 Extra Cut Rubbing Compound

b)3Mâ„¢ Perfect-It 3000 Rubbing Compound

c)3Mâ„¢ Perfect-It 3000 Swirl Mark Remover

d)3Mâ„¢ Perfect-It 3000 Final Glaze

3Mâ„¢ Perfect-It 3000 released July 2004, represents a new line of VOC compliant compounds, glazes and swirl mark removal products that will meet the new VOC laws in the states of New England, California and Texas effective January 1, 2005.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

stevet
11-18-2004, 06:46 AM
Perefect IT II Fine Cut Rubbing Compound is much more abrasive than Finesse It II Finishing Material Machine Polish. You said the products are listed a) most abrasive - (c) least abrasive. You have them listed incorrectly.

Accumulator
11-18-2004, 10:23 AM
jrush- If you want to try 3M products I`d just stick with the ones that work time and time again for so many of us. IMO all you really need are PI-III RC (05933) and PI-III MG (05937/39012 depending on the size). Unless I`m using 1Z stuff, these two products are all I need for 99% of what I do. Hand, PC, rotary, they work great every time.

There`s a PI-III Finishing Glaze (forget the part number) that you can use after the MG but before your wax. It`s very mild and has some wax in it.

I like the PI-III line a LOT better than the PI-II and Finess-It line stuff.

togwt
11-18-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by stevet

Perefect IT II Fine Cut Rubbing Compound is much more abrasive than Finesse It II Finishing Material Machine Polish. You said the products are listed a) most abrasive - (c) least abrasive. You have them listed incorrectly.

Thanks, I do have a & b switched

JonM