PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a new car (soon)

roaringmouse
11-15-2004, 07:47 PM
I`ve ordered a new Chrysler Magnesium 300c that will hopefully arrive around new years.

I want to do it right. This forum is great. I`ve been reading it daily for a couple weeks but want your opinion. I`ve waited 8 years for a new car and don`t want to screw it up.

1) Wash with Sonüs Gloss Shampoo

(some suggest Dawn for the 1st wash)

2) Clay Magic

3) Wash again with Sonüs Gloss Shampoo

4) Klasse AIO applied by PC (1 or 2 coats?)

5) Remove with Sonüs Der Wunder Polishing Towel

6) Wash again with Sonüs Gloss Shampoo

7) Klasse SG applied by PC (3 to 5 coats?)

8) Remove with Concours Buffing Towel

9) Top it off with P21S Carnauba (how may coats?)

I`ve read I need a min. of 24 hour between Klasse coats. Will I get a better outcome if I wait longer?

Thanks for your help.

Thomas Dekany
11-15-2004, 08:03 PM
mho - everything looks good but I wouldn`t use dawn. You can wait longer then 24hrs, but doubt you`ll see a difference. P21s? Once you are done applying all the SG I`d add a new coat every time you wash the car for that ultimate protection. What color is it?

roaringmouse
11-15-2004, 08:18 PM
The colors called Magnesium which looks like a dark green.

TW85 HHI
11-15-2004, 08:37 PM
Make sure that you make it 100% clear to the dealer that they are not to do any prep work. If they do, you will likely have swirled paint on your brand new car.

roaringmouse
11-15-2004, 09:01 PM
Great advise, I`ve already instructed them to leave all sticker and license plates off. I`ll contact my salesman tomorrow about prep work.

Thanks

MongooseGA
11-15-2004, 09:28 PM
Is it too soon to seal the paint? You say you ordered it, so how long ago was it built? Within a month maybe? If it is, hold off a week or so to allow the paint to cure.

Congrads :D

roaringmouse
11-16-2004, 12:01 AM
That`s a good point. It hasn`t been built yet and will probably be less then a month old when I get it.

How long should I wait?

Olorin
11-16-2004, 02:31 AM
You don`t have to wait to wax your car. If you had your car painted at a body shop, then yes, you`d have to wait a month. However, most major car manufacturers end up accelerating the curing process with heat.

"A new car that has a factory paint job can be waxed the moment it is rolled out of the plant," according to Meguiar`s (Dept. ETD, 17991 Mitchell S., Irvine, CA 92614, 800-347-5700, www.meguiars.com), which offers a wide range of car care products for use by hand or with a buffer. "Cars that have factory paint jobs are cured at much higher temperatures, because the car goes through the paint booth without the rubber, plastic and cloth components. This means the paint is cured by the time the car is completed."

imported_liam
11-16-2004, 02:45 PM
yep, don`t worry about dawn, the clay will do enough of a good job :D

raymond_ho2002
11-16-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by roaringmouse

1) Wash with Sonüs Gloss Shampoo

(some suggest Dawn for the 1st wash)

2) Clay Magic

3) Wash again with Sonüs Gloss Shampoo

4) Klasse AIO applied by PC (1 or 2 coats?)

5) Remove with Sonüs Der Wunder Polishing Towel

6) Wash again with Sonüs Gloss Shampoo

7) Klasse SG applied by PC (3 to 5 coats?)

8) Remove with Concours Buffing Towel

9) Top it off with P21S Carnauba (how may coats?)

I personally don`t like dawnwashing but i guess it wont hurt once in a while. Zaino and tropicare are the two only sealant products that actually mandate a dawnwash in their protocol. Since you`re using klasse, AIO is a good enough preparation, in my opinion.

You do not have to wash in between using AIO and SG. You can apply SG right after wiping off AIO. I also wouldn`t wash after claying because it`s just too much work. I would just wipe the car down with a QD and proceed to AIO.

the second coat of AIO would only ensure that you hit any spots you might`ve missed in the first application.

People tend to get better results applying SG by hand because the PC pads tend to eat up a lot of product, and it`s hard to spread thinly.

I don`t think you`ll get much better results with repeated applications of P21S.

MongooseGA
11-16-2004, 03:11 PM
Yup, Olorin`s right. I forgot that new `from the factory` paint is baked to speed up curing. Good point :)

roaringmouse
11-16-2004, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the help. I`ll make the suggested adjustments.

I plan to get some practice on my 97 Eagle Vision TSI.

Olorin
11-16-2004, 07:39 PM
Yeah, I`d definately skip the dawn wash. Aside from dawn possibly being harsh on vinyl, dawn may lack the lubrication that prevents marring. Also, I`m not sure, but AIO`s cleaning properties may remove any residue from claying and eliminate the need for a second wash.

More than two coats of pretty much anything is a waste, there`s no reason to unless you really want to, or are really bored. I`d do AIOx2, SGx2, P21Sx1, sealents are hard to see, so the second layer will pick up any spots you may have missed. Also, P21S wax and S100 wax are the same thing. With the autopian discount, and shipping considered, buying S100 from another website won`t save you any money. However, if you can find some S100 sold locally(it`s sold at Harley Davidson dealerships IIRC), you can save a good 20 dollars.

The microfiber towels in your list are rather pricy. You could get several more towels from www.pakshak.com for the same price. Pakshak also offers the microfiber terry towels. You`ll definately want several towels for each job, if you`re only using one or two towels for everything, you increase the risk of picking up dirt and marring. Also, it`s more convenient to have towels set aside for each product, rather than having to constantly wash them when you move on to a different step. Pakshak offers a nice discount for autopia members, send them an email asking about the autopia pricing if you`re looking to buy from them. Side note, I don`t know if you are ordering some form of waffle weave drying towel, but I`d highly recommend getting one.

roaringmouse
11-16-2004, 08:08 PM
Thanks Olorin I thought I had ordered all my supplies but checking I find I don`t have any ww drying towels. I appreciate you bringing it to my attention and for your other advise. I`ve contacted pakshak per your suggestion. I probably wouldn`t have otherwise when I read they are located in HI.

This forum and it`s members are a fantastic resource.

I hope to do a test run this weekend on my existing 8yo Eagle Vision. The front plastic bumper has bug and pit marks. Any advise so I don`t do additional damage attempting to clean it up?