PDA

View Full Version : Saturn is coming up soon....

Gonzo
11-15-2004, 09:51 AM
Is there anything I need to worry about or be cautious with when polish painted plastic body panels. It is a new `04 or `05 silver/grey. I haven`t looked at the car yet to view the "dealer swirl option" yet.

6']['9
11-15-2004, 09:57 AM
no w/ a pc but i have messed up some w/ a rotory.

Gonzo
11-15-2004, 10:01 AM
Metabo or Makita? What RPM or speed setting?

Thanks

Gonzo
11-15-2004, 10:25 AM
I`m thinking of using 1Z PP (if justified) and follow up with Menzerna FP - sound about right? Still undecided about using Metabo or PC - awaiting some feedback.

acl99
11-15-2004, 11:17 AM
The paint is very thin on those plastic parts. Dacp IP or any of those wont do any damage with one or two passes, just dont go nuts with the compounding and youll be fine. Just messing around (door was getting repainted from deep keying scratches) i took a cutting pad and ssr3 on a pc at speed 5 and went at it on the saturns door. 5 full passes brought me to base color coat. :eek:

Gonzo
11-15-2004, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the feedback so far

Scottwax
11-15-2004, 04:02 PM
Don`t get too aggressive and use a PC. Saturn paint seems a touch softer than most.

imported_Dave Holmes
11-17-2004, 02:28 AM
I just did my neighbor`s (an `04) with LC cutting pad, DACP, and PC up to speed 6. Like Scottwax said, the paint did seem soft. Light scratches came out quicker than I expected. Followed up with SFP, and it looked good. I did notice it has a lot of orange peel, and the fit/finish of body panels leaves A LOT to be desired. But I`ve noticed this on a few late model GM`s (not starting a flame war, just posting my observations). Also, on the Saturn, I noticed the spoiler`s paint is not nearly as glossy as the rest of the car, and it`s a stock spoiler. Must be a different blending of paint. But the body panels flexing like they do is pretty cool. Freaked me out the first time....

Dave