PDA

View Full Version : Big detail... Worried about the cold weather...

Pages : [1] 2

ExplorerXLT95
11-15-2004, 06:16 AM
So I have a big detail planned for this weekend (11/20). It needs to get done because I`ve only been cruising around recently (last 1-2 weeks or so) with 2 applications of Klasse AIO being my only barrier. I planned the entire thing out, but when I got into my car this morning, it had a nice coat of frost all over it. That disturbs me greatly. I guess it`s starting to register to me now that it`s going to be pretty cold this weekend for a detail. Basically, what can I do to assure myself that I`m not going to be damaging the paint in any way when washing it this weekend?? Here`s the procedure that I have planned:

1) Concours wheel cleaning

...a) Remove wheel(s)

...b) Eimann Fabrik Powerwash+

...c) Pinnacle PolyClay

...d) Eimann Fabrik Powerwash+

...e) Dry thoroughly

...f) Klasse AIO x2

...g) Eagle One Mag and Aluminum Polish (works on chrome too)

...h) Klasse HGSG x1

...i) Replace wheel(s)

2) Engine cleaning

...a) Quick rinse

...b) Meguiar`s APC (agitate, then let sit for 1-2 minutes)

...c) Rinse

...d) Dry

3) Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo

4) Pinnacle PolyClay

5) Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo

6) Klasse AIO x2

7) Klasse HGSG x1 (+1 after 24 hours)

8) Pinnacle Souveran x1 (+1 after 24 hours)

I might be able to get a spot in a heated garage of some sort, but let`s just assume that I can`t and that it`s about 40-50 degrees F outside. What can I do to make sure there`s no risk of damaging my paint??

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance for your help...

ScubaStevo
11-15-2004, 08:05 AM
I Don`t think you should have a problem. But if possible, I would seriously look into a heated garage.

C. Charles Hahn
11-15-2004, 08:18 AM
Don`t worry about it. I did a customer detail this weekend (pics will be posted in their own thread -- this one wasn`t the average type of detail I do....) and ambient temps in my garage were sub-50 degrees ferenheit. I was even able to use touch-up paint with no problems whatsoever. :up

Only thing I will say, is make sure you wear gloves or something to protect your hands -- mine got all dry and cracked from having all the chemicals on them in the cold.

ExplorerXLT95
11-15-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Buick_guy1

I Don`t think you should have a problem. But if possible, I would seriously look into a heated garage.

Lol. I dream about a garage (let alone a heated one). However, I`m in the process of purchasing my first home, which will most likely be a condo. With my finances the way they currently are and the way the market is, a garage is a luxury I will most likely have to forego. However, if it is possible at all, I will do it. If I don`t get a garage though, I will be purchasing a custom CoverCraft cover for the Cobra from CMA. I wonder if they do manufacturer logos (SVT or a Cobra) on their covers. Doubt it, but I can ask.

Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr

Don`t worry about it. I did a customer detail this weekend (pics will be posted in their own thread -- this one wasn`t the average type of detail I do....) and ambient temps in my garage were sub-50 degrees ferenheit. I was even able to use touch-up paint with no problems whatsoever. :up

Only thing I will say, is make sure you wear gloves or something to protect your hands -- mine got all dry and cracked from having all the chemicals on them in the cold.

I guess some of those insulated rubber ones would be a good idea, right? Any specific suggestions? It would be appreciated.

Though, I must admit. The main concern of mine is not about my hands, but rather the car and the results of the detail. Anyone think the Klasse twins won`t like the cold?? :nixweiss:

Lowejackson
11-15-2004, 10:38 AM
The biggest issues to my mind are the cold and the damp. The cold simply slows the process down whereas the damp (+cold) makes it very hard as most products just smear across the paint.

A PC does seem to help, my guess is due to the extra heat and the application of thiner layer of products compared to hand applications.

togwt
11-15-2004, 11:02 AM
~One manâ€â„¢s opinion / observations~

Surface Temperature (Actual surface temperature of the vehicle)- 60 â€â€œ 80oF products will work well within a much broader temperature range, (50° to 90° F) but the best results will be achieved in the 60° to 80° F range surrounding air temp (ambient or room) must be 55oF + to ensure the minimum vehicle surface temperature of 50oF(recommended as a minimum by most manufacturers)

I am amazed that paint would cure at a surface temp of 50oF or lessâ€Â¦

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

audio1der
11-15-2004, 12:26 PM
I got ambitious on Saturday night; washed, glazed and waxed the whip. It was a whopping 7*C (44*F) in the garage.

Mother of all that`s Holy, don`t even LOOK at a bottle of #7 when it`s that cold. I`ve used it religiously for 2 years now without a problem. NEVER has smearing, or anything of the other issues I`ve read about here affected me- until the other night.:sosad

Long story made short, the glaze took 2 hours to remove, and I was more hurried in my #26 paste application.

So watch what you use, and you should be fine.

ExplorerXLT95
11-15-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by audio1der

So watch what you use, and you should be fine.

Don`t have either of the bottles of the Klasse twins in front of me... I`ll have to check what their minimum application temperature is. I guess I should really try to get a friend to open up one of his heated bays, huh?

Anybody know Klasse`s minimum application temperature is off-hand?

isinoh
11-15-2004, 01:20 PM
I`d say with a to-do list like that, you`re going to have to battle daylight more than the cold!!! :)

ExplorerXLT95
11-15-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by isinoh

I`d say with a to-do list like that, you`re going to have to battle daylight more than the cold!!! :)

I will be detailing from sun-up to sun-down... That`s a given :xyxthumbs:

imported_pugoman
11-15-2004, 01:55 PM
I`ve found EX-P works really well in colder temperatures... I`ve been using it alot lately in temperatures of around 9c and it`s a breeze to apply and remove (I apply it with a PC to get it on really thin).

ExplorerXLT95
11-18-2004, 01:33 PM
Just out of curiousity, how many of you think I`ll get this all finished in one day??

Assume I`m starting at around 8 or 8:30AM (EST) and trying to finish around 4:30 or 5PM (EST)???

GS400
11-18-2004, 02:21 PM
1) Concours wheel cleaning

...a) Remove wheel(s)

...b) Eimann Fabrik Powerwash+

...c) Pinnacle PolyClay

...d) Eimann Fabrik Powerwash+

...e) Dry thoroughly

...f) Klasse AIO x2

...g) Eagle One Mag and Aluminum Polish (works on chrome too)

...h) Klasse HGSG x1

...i) Replace wheel(s)

2) Engine cleaning

...a) Quick rinse

...b) Meguiar`s APC (agitate, then let sit for 1-2 minutes)

...c) Rinse

...d) Dry

3) Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo

4) Pinnacle PolyClay

5) Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo

6) Klasse AIO x2

7) Klasse HGSG x1 (+1 after 24 hours)

8) Pinnacle Souveran x1 (+1 after 24 hours)

If it were my car, as anal as I am....that would take a WHOLE weekend. Of course it depends on how dirty it is to start with, and how meticulous you work.

Definitely more than 8 hours though. Good Luck!! And take some pics!!

imported_memnuts
11-18-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by ExplorerXLT95

I will be detailing from sun-up to sun-down... That`s a given :xyxthumbs:

It is suppose to rain here (Mid-Atlantic to New England) all weekend and most of next week. The temps even in Maryland should be okay. Just dodging the rain drops will be a challenge. :(

P.S. Send thanks to Scott. He exported this raining weather from Texas. ;)

ExplorerXLT95
11-18-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

It is suppose to rain here (Mid-Atlantic to New England) all weekend and most of next week. The temps even in Maryland should be okay. Just dodging the rain drops will be a challenge. :(

P.S. Send thanks to Scott. He exported this raining weather from Texas. ;)

Yea... I just read that on NOAA`s webpage... :rolleyes:

Hopefully, I will be able to find a place to do this out of the rain.

At the very least, my car is getting washed and I`m concours cleaning my wheels. I don`t care if it`s raining or not. :xyxthumbs

P.S. Leave it to a Chevy guy to ruin a Ford guy`s weekend :shocked ;) J/k