PDA

View Full Version : preparing for my first all-day detail - need guidance

EKGTI
11-14-2004, 11:08 AM
I have a black VW GTI (http://www.pbase.com/kuni/image/33531194) and am planning to re-Zaino from the ground up for the first time (previous owner did all the original work) and need some tips.

I have the following:

3M Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound

3M Finesse-IT II Machine Polish

Zaino Z2, Z5, Z6, Z7 and the Clay Bar

Porter Cable 7424 with white, red and black pads from ProperAutoCare.com

Tons of MF towels

Can anyone give me the rundown on what 3M product to use with which pad at what speed? And what to look for when doing this? And what is the sequence for taking out minor swirls or hairline scratches (from a MF with debris in it)?

And after the polish, what about the Zaino? I`d like to put on as much as possible in about 12 hours.

Thanks!

I learn fast, so help me out and I won`t ask again!

EK

MongooseGA
11-14-2004, 11:41 AM
I`m not yet familiar with the 3M products or the Zaino products, however:

Do you plan to clay the car? I would reccomend it if it hasn`t been done in few months, just because it leaves the paint that much smoother and cleaner for your LSP. I know it`s only reccomended that your clay your car one, maybe twice a year, but I end up claying it every other month or so, just because I`ve become addicted to perfectly smooth paint :D

NavindraLR
11-14-2004, 11:48 AM
nice gti.. is that a 20th anniv?

i am not familiar with the 3m products as well, but i would recommend claying, and using a polish which will remove swirls, and then a low abrasive polish, before you start to apply the zaino...

MongooseGA
11-14-2004, 12:03 PM
BTW, what`s the name of that color? It almost looks grey in a few of thosepictures. Awesome color choice!

Eliot Ness
11-14-2004, 12:26 PM
You would use the 3M Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound with your white pad (if it`s the polishing pad I think it is). Start off a bit slow- around 2 or 3 and then speed up to about 5 or 6.

The RC may leave behind some hazing that will need to be removed with a less aggressive polish, not sure how well 3M Finesse-IT II Machine Polish will do since I`ve never used it. If your paint problems arenâ€â„¢t that bad Iâ€â„¢d start with some 3M PI III MG (machine glaze), it will clean your paint up nicely.

This is how the 3M products are rated by abrasiveness (higher = more abrasive):

3M Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound: 6

3M Perfect-It III Rubbing Compound: 6 ( II is actually a tad more aggressive than III )

3M Finesse-IT II Machine Polish: 5

3M Perfect-It III MG (machine glaze): 4

Start out with the least abrasive product and then step up if needed. The two 3M polishes I keep around are the PI III RC and MG.

Youâ€â„¢ll need to switch to a different white (polish) pad before going to a less aggressive polish, or make sure you clean (wash) the one youâ€â„¢re using to remove all of the other product.

As far as Zaino goes I canâ€â„¢t help you too much there, but I believe you need some ZFX to put on multiple coats the same day:

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46512

imported_pdsterns
11-14-2004, 12:44 PM
Wow - it looks pretty good already. I`m with the other guys. Go over it carefully with the clay and do a good evaluation of what it needs.