PDA

View Full Version : Gritty after service at dealer... any guesses?

mynci
11-04-2004, 01:10 PM
About 4 month ago I clayed my car, polished and cleaned with AIO, and applied SG. The following day, I applied UPP. A few weeks after that I ended up topping with #16. Since then I`ve washed the car once every 2 weeks. In between washings, I use S&W and QD every 2 or 3 days. The car was still smooth and slick up until this past weekend.

I took my car into the dealer for its first basic service (oil change). I was told that there was an open recall which consisted of the monitoring/inspection of the evaporation system for any leaks. When all was said and done, it all took about 2 hours. The dealer does not wash the car after a basic service and I could tell it hadn`t been washed by them when I picked up my car.

The next day, I decide to clean up the car with S&W only to discover that the paint no longer feels smooth or slick. Running my fingers across the paint felt and even sounded almost like I was rubbing fine sandpaper. But it`s not only the paint, even the glass was gritty! Looking at the car, you really couldn`t tell a difference... it was still clear and shiny, but the whole car had a gritty feel. So I get my supplies out and wash the car in the hopes that I will be able to wash the gritty feel off the car. The wash didn`t do a thing to restore the finish. Needless to say, I wasn`t very happy.

And now, I finally get to my question... does anyone have any educated guesses on what may have happened or what caused the gritty feel on the entire car? I don`t know if the recall work had anything to do with it but my guess is that my car was exposed to some kind of overspray from work on surrounding cars in the garage while it was being worked on. Does anybody know what it might have been? I realize that it could have been any number of chemicals... I`m just curious as to what exactly it may have been.

I haven`t really had time yet this week to deal with this situation but I did try claying the windows and the roof. Claying has considerably taken off a lot of whatever had gotten on there. However, after claying the roof, I noticed some hazy kind of streaking left. It appeared almost like I could see areas where the clay completely removed my protective layer(s) and areas where it only partially removed the layer(s). Is this possible to see with your eyes? In any case, I further cleaned up the roof with some Pinnacle PCL, which removed the hazy streaking and left a clean smooth surface. So the whole process will begin all over again this weekend. On the bright side, I get to try out a new combination.

05SilverTRD
11-04-2004, 01:23 PM
I had a very fine mist of sap on my truck one time. It felt very much like what you are talking about. It was over the shole truck and was very fine. You could feel with you fingers, but not really see it. I had to clay the truck to get it off. I did not notice any streaking afterwards though. I also had a 1980 Chevrolet Silverado that got overspray on it at a dealership from the body shop. Anything is possible there.