PDA

View Full Version : Here`s a great product idea for the MFRs here...

SilverLexus
11-13-2004, 05:22 PM
Why not solve the shop vac problems of noise and filters?

Vacs are really loud (my 5.5hp Ridgid is ear splitting even with the muffle attachment) and changing filters is dirty and expensive...I am seeing these Dyson vacuum commercials and I wonder why the garage/mechanic/car/detailing enthusiasts are left out...

Would Dyson build a shop vac for a vendor here, maybe through a proft sharing arrangement? Would this not be a great for the detailers...keep the volumes down and the suction up...

Seems like no competition in terms of shop vacs...I think everyone has a filter and bag or bucket to empty....

What do you think?

TW85 HHI
11-13-2004, 05:37 PM
We have a Dyson vacuum and it works really well. We also have a wall-mounted Hoover in the garage that while it works, I find myself using the Dyson once in a while. Stronger suction is the main reason.

Dyson vacuums are expensive. They`re trying to get the standup vacuums marketed still so I bet a shop vac is on the bottom of their list.

SilverLexus
11-15-2004, 12:06 PM
I was thinking more about a dry use vacuum, but my understanding is that the cyclone technology can be used equally well for wet if engineered that way.

It`s too speculative to say what the price of the shopvac would be. I bet that a segment of the market would pay $200 for such an item and the enclosure may be much simpler. My Ridgid vac is a very simple device. I bet mfg could be kept economical.

imported_BretFraz
11-15-2004, 04:53 PM
There are a number of high performance/low noise vacs on the market but they`re not widely known. Read the link for a comparo of some of them.

http://www.ultimategarage.com/shopvacs.html

I own and prefer a Metro Vac n` Blo for automotive uses / dry vacuuming. It has more suction than my 8 gallon Ridgid, weighs only 9 lbs. and is whisper quiet by comparison.

SilverLexus
11-15-2004, 06:31 PM
Thanks Bret for the links. I`m thinking about the Metro. :)

togwt
11-16-2004, 07:41 AM
Specification:

Metropolitan Vac Nâ€â„¢ Bloâ„¢ Vacuum / Blower Unit

Peak Motor Power: 4.0 HP

Power Requirements- 11.25Amps, 110-120 volts

Single-phase, 50-60 Hz VAC

Vacuum: 95-inch water gauge static lift

Blower: 145,000SCFM @ 28,000FPM

Dimensions: 15-iches long and 7-inch diameter

12-foot cord, re-usable cloth dust bag, and 16 accessories (crevice tool, brushes and etc)

:xyxthumbs

:xyxthumbs

Scottwax
11-16-2004, 11:45 AM
Nice link, Bret, thanks! My current vac is in good shape but I will save that link for future referrence.