PDA

View Full Version : what`s going on with my waffle weaves?

III
11-13-2004, 02:03 PM
I`ve noticed that I`ll get very small traces of lint from my sonus ultimate drying towels/ultimate detailing towels, and my grey waffles also. I notice this the most on my windows. The grey ww is the same thing (80/20) except it`s a different color. I also didn`t buy it from autopia. I point this out because it must have something to do with the construction of the towels being 80/20 since both the grey and yellow towels lint? I never had this problem with the waffles that are alittle heavier in weight and are 70/30 like the big blues or big blue II. I hate to say it, but my cotton towels seem to lint less.

For anyone that`s thinking of buying these towels, don`t let what I`m writing stop you. I`m very pleased with the yellow sonus waffles and my grey ones except for the linting at times. I like the fact that David stocks the big and small waffles because I use the big one for the vehicle and the little one for my rims.

I wash with no fabric softner and I usually do a double or triple rinse. These towels are about 3 months old.

yoshishinya
11-13-2004, 03:50 PM
It can be by mixing with other towel (cotton based towels) during washing. Those WW or MF towels really pick up many objects including lint off other towel if washed together. Cold (or luke warm) water should be used for washing WW or MF towels, with a small amount of detergent. My 6 months old WW does not leave any lint so far.

SilverLexus
11-13-2004, 04:59 PM
Hmmm...my Sonus WWs have not linted at all. Did you use an MF wash?

rahula
11-13-2004, 05:21 PM
I get lint with all my MF towels when cleaning glass when used damp or with glass cleaner. Only when I use it dry does it do the job properly. No idea why this is. The lint it leaves behind looks on a bright sunshine like micro-cracked glass. I use Pakshak towels and love them but I have no idea why this happens either.

a.k.a. Patrick
11-13-2004, 05:44 PM
Hmmmmm.....I had that problem with a gray mf i use to have, but never had that problem with any type of waffle weave, ever....John why are you using ww on windows anyway? Are you cleaning with them ? Or is it just while/after you have dried them you noticed....?

mtodde
11-13-2004, 06:18 PM
What are you using on your windows with them? I`ve noticed that some heavier glass cleaners don`t work as well with thin mf towels.

III
11-13-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

[BJohn why are you using ww on windows anyway? Are you cleaning with them ? Or is it just while/after you have dried them you noticed....? [/B]

I`m not cleaning with them. I`m using them to dry my windows after I`m done washing my vehicles.

a.k.a. Patrick
11-13-2004, 06:50 PM
Is that your "final" cleaning or do you go after them one more time with a mf and cleaner?

III
11-13-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

Is that your "final" cleaning or do you go after them one more time with a mf and cleaner?

Final cleaning. After I wash the vehicle including the window, I dry it with the ww. Doesn`t everyone use waffles to dry their windows?

a.k.a. Patrick
11-13-2004, 10:16 PM
I dry the whole vehicle with my WW, but tend to windows with cleaner and a 1616mf afterwards, when all is said and done, there the last thing i do on the car.....

imported_Dave Holmes
11-13-2004, 11:33 PM
I use the blue WW`s I got from Patrick for drying my entire vehicle, including glass. The glass is the first part I dry, then work from top down on the paint. They work outstanding, and leave no streaks or lint this way. I do windows first because streaking/linting (IF it were to happen) would be more noticeable on them compared to my white paint. I very seldom need to use anything on my glass after this procedure. If needed, I`ve even used the wet WW to quickly wipe smudges off the inside of my glass after the outside is complete. I haven`t had any problem with this either. And it only takes one of Patrick`s blue WW`s to dry my entire car without wringing, too. Other QUALITY WW`s are probably similiar.

As for linting, I`ve gotten some cheap, flimsy MF`s that leave lint very bad (Walmart and AutoZone ones come immediately to mind). On glass, it looks like millions of almost microscopic chips. When I clean glass now, I use either a Black Magic Glass MF (blue with no nap), or old white bed sheets cut to approriate size (my Mom taught me that YEARS ago). Both work extremely well, and one king size bed sheet makes A LOT of excellent glass cleaning towels! I keep one of the Black Magic Glass MF`s under my driver seat for "emergency" glass cleaning while I`m away from home.

Oh, Patrick, my neighbor was using a cheap MF when we were working on his car the other day. I let him use one of yours. He`ll be placing an order with you soon if he hasn`t already.

Dave

III
11-14-2004, 10:12 AM
Dave, your process is the about the same as mine. I also do the windows first. I also have not noticed this problem with the kind of waffles that Patrick sells. I have Patrick`s gold waffles. Work great. If you look at my original post, I`m only getting the linting problem with certain kinds of waffles. The waffles that I`m noticing lint with are the lighter/thinner weight 80/20 waffles, not the 70/30 heavier/thicker weight such as Patrick`s, classic motoring, etc, etc.

In regards to using waffles for glass, I thought that waffles would work better than the standard plush microfiber towels because the waffles are less plush resulting in little or no nap fibers to be left behind.

armoredsaint
11-14-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by rahula

I get lint with all my MF towels when cleaning glass when used damp or with glass cleaner. Only when I use it dry does it do the job properly. No idea why this is. The lint it leaves behind looks on a bright sunshine like micro-cracked glass. I use Pakshak towels and love them but I have no idea why this happens either.

So I am not crazy! I get the exact same thing with my MF and when the sun is low in the sky you see all this stuff on the glass and it`s hard to remove it. Maybe claying or a squeege might help?

a.k.a. Patrick
11-14-2004, 03:45 PM
How "new" are your towels ? Have they been washed a few times? Maybe too harsh a detergent ?

Rob Tomlin
11-14-2004, 04:25 PM
I also have the Sonus WW and have not experienced any problems with linting. Been washed at least 4 times so far.