PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Zaino/Clay help needed!

nonwelder
11-13-2004, 10:41 AM
Need some quick help please...I have about 3 coats of Zaino on my silver GTO and I noticed this morning that I have some rail dust on the car. So, I am assuming that if I clay, I will remove some, if not all, of the Zaino. Correct? If this is so, can I just Z-1 and Z-2 right after claying?

Thanks so much!

Brett

Rob Tomlin
11-13-2004, 11:21 AM
I personally believe that claying will remove some of the Zaino, though perhaps not all of it.

If you are going to clay the car (as you should if you see rail dust), I would say that you are basically starting over.

I prefer to polish the paint after claying the car. Then apply Z1 and Z2.

Be sure to use a polish that doesn`t have fillers in it (Poorboys SSR2 doesnt) or you will have bonding issues with the Zaino.

Accumulator
11-13-2004, 11:33 AM
Just depends on how aggressively you have to clay to remove the contamination. Clay gently enough and you won`t won`t remove an appreciable amount of LSP (Sal Zaino supposedly said that a *gentle* claying will remove half a layer of Z ). But many people don`t clay gently and sometimes you *have* to clay sorta aggressively to remove some contamination. You`ll just have to see what happens. If in doubt, apply another coat. If you use plenty of lube and clean all the clay/lube residue off you should be fine just reapplying. Work small areas at a time so the clay/lube residue doesn`t dry on the panel.

If you clay "hard" enough to cause marring you`re doing something wrong.

nonwelder
11-13-2004, 01:50 PM
Thanks!

Corey Bit Spank
11-13-2004, 02:18 PM
You more then likely will not remove all of it. Just put a fresh coat on after you`re done claying.

BookemDano
11-13-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by OneQuickGT1

... I noticed this morning that I have some rail dust on the car.

Brett,

Have you tried washing the car with Z7? I`ve been very happy with the Z7 washing results. Even when I`ve had light fallout (my office is about two blocks from some major railyards), Z7 took off virtually all of the contaminents.

Hmmm... Is the raildust UNDER the Zaino?

Regards,

Dan.