PDA

View Full Version : A few questions for the Pro`s with Employees. Long, but a good read :)

MongooseGA
11-12-2004, 09:32 PM
This is primarily to the pros here who have hired other people to work with (for) them. But, if you have an opinion, please feel free to chime in with your ideas :) .

I was thinking to myself the other day (my head still hurts...) that if I were to become a mobile detailer and work by myslef in this area, what would I do for...uh...money. In my area, it won`t be easy to find someone willing to pay for a professional full Autopian-style detail. So far I get more "wash `n` wax" customers than anything else. This makes me think, I need to find a way to still really enjoy detailing, but make a profit with it.

I think my goal is a permanent location. Possibly a large warehouse converted into the latest and greatest detailing garage, with a couple (3 or 4) full detailing `areas` (bays). Each area complete with all the products/tools necessary for the job (single at car at a time in each) to get done, and get done well. These would be the bread and butter of my shop, with the basic "wash `n` wax" people up front somewhere, maybe outside.

Obviously I can`t work in all of these proposed detailing bays on my own. It`s just not physically possible. Even Isaac Newton said so! ;) I`d probably need to hire some people for help. Here`s where the questions come in.

1) How do you pick someone to work for you? There are kids that are like my age now (14 and 15) that have more of a passion for this than say that mid 20-something guy that just got laid off and needs a job to hold him over. Do you look closely at the passion and skills of the person, or do you try to teach them these things?

2) If you do pick someone who wants to detail cars well but doesn`t know anything about it, how do you train them? Do you set up `workshops` on the weekends for employees to come and learn how to use equipment and everything? When my mom began to work for the clinic she works for now, they paid for her to go through this very in-depth training course (althought she already has a college degree in this field). What do you do if these potential employees know as much as/more than you do? Do you give them a normal entry job(like everyone else would normally get), or a higer-ranked job? In other words, would you rather hire new help from the outside, or promote form within (hehe, a quote from my "Business Plans for Dummies" book).

3) The most important question. Detailing isn`t easy work. It can take it`s toll on your back, and it will really tire you out. How much do you pay these guys? If I expect to make a good profit off of this, how can I justify making $xxx,xxx/ year while they make $xx,xxx for the same work? Do you pay them by the hour, salary, what? How do you determine what they make?

4) What are your policies (if you have any) on `friends` as co-workers/employees? I have a few buddies -some younger than me, some older- that want me to `hire` them when I get my business license (hopefully this summer if legalities pull through). If I own the business, the company, all of the equipment, and let them work with me, how do I pay them? Right now, I make roughly $20/hour, which is pure gold to a 14 year old like me. I just laugh when I hear my peers talking about having an excellent job making $7.00/hour bagging groceries at Food Lion. But, if I start paying these friends to work for me, I take a huge hit in cash. How can I make a profit, while still paying my employees a decent amount?

This might just be some food for thought. Any answers I get out of this will help me immensely.

TIA,

joburnet
11-12-2004, 11:38 PM
First of all, take it slow. You have plenty of time to grow your business but make sure and keep your overhead low. If you try to expand too fast youâ€â„¢ll go broke.

1. Go with your gut, if you like the guy and think he will do a good job then hire him, if not then don`t. Also, your 14 or so, people in their mid 20`s probably won`t want to work for someone so young. The only way to get around that is to give it time. I`m 24 and I have people looking at me like I`m crazy sometimes. As far as passion, a good manager can motivate the employees. Itâ€â„¢s not easy but it can be done.

2. Detailing cars is not brain surgery; it`s completely feasible to train someone with no experience. What I do is spend a couple hours teaching them about detailing. Then I actually detail a car with them and let them do most of the work but show them how to do everything. I then make them an assistant under a detailer with experience until they are ready to detail on their own.

Personally I like to promote from within. If you hire someone with experience they may not be a good worker. If they are a good worker then why arenâ€â„¢t they working for the company that they got experience with?

3. The owner is supposed to make more money. Take this to heart IT`S NOT EASY TO OWN YOUR OWN BUSINESS!!! And again, IT`S NOT EASY TO OWN YOUR OWN BUSINESS!!! That`s why successful owners make so much money. For every successful owner making bank there are at least a dozen that went broke.

4. Hiring friends as employeeâ€â„¢s can work, but you must keep the relationship at work professional and they must know you are the boss. Managing employeeâ€â„¢s is very hard to do and you will make mistakes but eventually you will learn how to do it.

If employees such as your friends are happy making $7.00/hr then thatâ€â„¢s what you should pay them. Remember, you have a lot of overhead to worry about such as equipment, advertising, supplies, ectâ€Â¦ The employeeâ€â„¢s are there to make you money and if they arenâ€â„¢t doing that then you donâ€â„¢t want them around.

Also, if you try and hire someone from the newspaper then be prepared for a lot of disappointment. We ran an ad and were supposed to have 20 people show up for interviews but only two showed and we only hired one. Last time we ran an ad we had two show and didnâ€â„¢t hire either.

One more time I must say IT`S NOT EASY TO OWN YOUR OWN BUSINESS!!! You seem to be going in the right direction so my suggestion is to keep doing what your doing and follow your gut. You should always be thinking about your business.

Also I wanted to note, va beach is a big area and once you can drive you can go to the places where people are willing to pay for a full detail.

imported_mirrorfinishman
11-13-2004, 05:14 AM
Glenn, Jr,

Here are my thoughts about your questions:

1) How do you pick someone to work for you?

When it comes to hiring employees, I would base your consideration on 80% TRUST and 20% ABILITY.

Do you look closely at the passion and skills of the person, or do you try to teach them these things?

They should already have the passion. It is the skill that you would need to teach them.

2) If you do pick someone who wants to detail cars well but doesn`t know anything about it, how do you train them?

You train them very carefully. Yes, you could set-up workshops, training courses, etc. You will need to do whatever it takes to make certain that all employees are properly trained.

What do you do if these potential employees know as much as/more than you do?

Hiring new employees is 80% TRUST and 20% ABILITY. In other words you would be much better off having employees you can TRUST rather than `employees who know as much as/more than you do`.

...would you rather hire new help from the outside, or promote form within?

Whether it is `help from the outside, or promote from within` your decision should still be based on 80% TRUST and 20% ABILITY.

3) How much do you pay these guys? Do you pay them by the hour, salary, what? How do you determine what they make?

You pay them what they are worth. How much you pay them should be based on how much profit they are able to produce for your business. In other words; how much profit you realize as a result of their work. That`s why it is so important to charge your customers a reasonable price. A price where you can still make a fair profit after paying your employees.

4) What are your policies (if you have any) on `friends` as co-workers/employees?

In most cases, it is not a good idea to get friends and family involved, unless they are in a direct partnership with your business.

How can I make a profit, while still paying my employees a decent amount?

Again, charge your customers a reasonable price. A price where you can still make a fair profit after paying your employees.

MongooseGA
11-13-2004, 09:02 AM
`Preciate the help.

I don`t plan on anything serious for along time. I still have plans for college. I`m just trying to set a few goals before I need to actually start something. "Be Prepared".

For the time being (before I move out and head to VT ;) ) mobile detailing is fine. I like to do it, and for someone my age + a few years, the money is pretty good.

Just some food for thought. I`ll sleep on it... for about 9 years... :o

zainoshine
11-13-2004, 10:18 AM
As another young person starting in this field, I thoroughly respect your ambition! Age is the only thing I`m worried about at the time being. My family may know that I act older than my age, but a new client that I`ve never talked to before might feel just a little apprehensive to letting a 14 year old work on their vehicle. However, word of mouth is the best, and I`m confident that my work will sell itself, irregardless of age.

I would love to have my own shop, but starting out small is the ONLY option for me. There`s always room to grow, especially in this business. I really can`t wait to get started! My first client is next weekend!

Good Luck!

Carl