PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Buying List

Lone Gunman
11-12-2004, 09:01 PM
I have heard some great things about Poor Boys products, so here is my list for my red Mustang. I would love it if you would suggest additions or subsitutions.

SSR 2.5

Megs #9 (Already have it)

Polish w/ Carnuba

EX w/ Carnuba

Natties

Spray & Wipe

QD+

Do you think I should use Profesional Polish instead of the Polish w/C, how about P21S Paintwork Cleanser, Sonus Paintwork Cleanser, or Vanilla Moose?

Should I use a different product than QD+, if so, what?

I thought I had a handle on this, now that I write the post I realize how clueless I truely am.

Thanks a lot!

Lone Gunman

TW85 HHI
11-12-2004, 09:31 PM
You can use P21S Paintwork Cleanser, Sonus Paintwork Cleanser, or Vanilla Moose in place of PwC. You could also use Klasse All-in-One or countless other paint cleaners.

xhaust50
11-12-2004, 10:32 PM
Why don`t you tell us what type of condition your mustang is in and any problem areas, that way we can recommend specific products or atleast point you in the right direction. But for a short yet complete list-

Compound - SSR 2.5

Polish - PwC

Sealant - EX

Wax - Natty`s

I`m just taking these products from your list. You may also want to throw in a clay (Clay Magic is a good one that can be purchased locally). This should be enough for a typical car. By the way, I personally would keep PwC instead of PP because they are extremely similar products, but PwC offers protection as well and can be used as a stand alone. There are also alot of products that you can pick up locally than can give a car a great finish.

01bluecls
11-12-2004, 11:20 PM
PC or by hand??

Lone Gunman
11-15-2004, 06:21 PM
My car is a `95 GT Mustang in Rio Red. It has the average amount of swirls, as well as three scratches. The sratches are four to five inches long and two I can slightly feel with my fingernail. None are down to the primer however. I hoped to make these and the swirls almost invisible with the SSR 2.5.

I will be applying everything by hand. I hope to eventually get a PC; buying microfibers, my above list, and other neccessary detailing products will leave my pocket book quite thin, as I am just a 17-year-old-perfectionist with a part time job.

I already have a quick clay bar, by the way.

Thanks,

Brandon

Olorin
11-15-2004, 07:17 PM
Since you`re short on cash, why not just use the #9 as your follow up polish to SSR2.5? Version 2 of Meguiar`s #9 partially corrects swirls, and partially fills them in. A product with some fillers will probably be better when you`re applying the product by hand, it might be hard to completely eliminate all paint defects without a PC or cutting pad.

Since you want to use EX w/ caranuba, fillers shouldn`t be a problem. If you were using EX-P, it`d be a different story. Also, microfibers aren`t that expensive. I`d recommend buying them from http://www.pakshak.com/ . Pakshak also sells Poorboys products. Side note, here is the pricing for Pakshak towels with the autopia discount:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44449

If you`re really strapped for cash, you could pick up those cheap microfibers wal mart sells, it`s about $4.50 for a pack of 5.

gearhead
11-15-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Olorin

[B]Since you`re short on cash, why not just use the #9 as your follow up polish to SSR2.5? Version 2 of Meguiar`s #9 partially corrects swirls, and partially fills them in. A product with some fillers will probably be better when you`re applying the product by hand, it might be hard to completely eliminate all paint defects without a PC or cutting pad.

Since you want to use EX w/ caranuba, fillers shouldn`t be a problem. If you were using EX-P, it`d be a different story.

This sounds like good advice as your arm`s gonna be tired after the SSR2.5 and #9. You won`t really need another polish after #9 and I`m not sure which one to recommend, there`s so many (I have Sonus PCL, P21s, AIO and PwC and haven`t used them all yet). I`d go straight to the EX.

You can also save money as EX doesn`t need to be topped but I do like Natty`s. Check out www.specialtymotoring.com, they have some package deals on products you mentioned along with some MF towels. Autogeek.net also has a 10% "AUTOPIA" discount. For really cheap MF`s the ones at Costco are like 14 for $9. And yeah, clay first.

Scottwax
11-15-2004, 10:09 PM
I`d get the SSR2.5 but I`d try #9 first to see if it does the job and save the 2.5 for any deep polishing you may need in the future. PwC is more user friendly than PP. Vanilla Moose is also another very good final glaze. The regular EX w/carnauba is a good choice on a red car, it will give it a very nice, deep wet look. Natty`s on top would only enhance the wetness.

Both Ranney (www.pakshak.com) and aka Patrick (www.exceldetail.com) have excellent mf towels at good prices.