PDA

View Full Version : Is Collinite`s IW safe?

imported_NHBFAN
11-12-2004, 06:28 PM
I`ve never used IW, but I`ve read that it`s high in solvent content and was developed for industrial purposes.

Would continued use present any harm to clear coats?

imported_Larry A
11-12-2004, 07:27 PM
No!

sgo
11-12-2004, 07:52 PM
IW has been used on clear coats for a long time and does not cause any problems.

I wouldn`t be surprised to see the formula changed to comply with the upcoming VOC laws in the near future though.

imported_NHBFAN
11-13-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by SteveOst

I wouldn`t be surprised to see the formula changed to comply with the upcoming VOC laws in the near future though.

Yeah, that has crossed my mind too.

Accumulator
11-13-2004, 11:03 AM
Yeah, it`s safe to use and yeah, they`re gonna have to change it. And the folks at Collinite seem to be having a bit of trouble with their new-reg-friendly formulations. Some of us are stocking up on the "old" stuff while it`s still available.

cheapshot
11-13-2004, 11:46 AM
are you serious? does anyone know when this might happen? I`ve been looking to try some out! for a while, but have not brought my self to do so. I guess it may be just the time to buy some even if it sits for awhile.

sgo
11-13-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by cheapshot

are you serious? does anyone know when this might happen? I`ve been looking to try some out! for a while, but have not brought my self to do so. I guess it may be just the time to buy some even if it sits for awhile.

Well, ok, yes. They told me they are working on it, but won`t be making any untill January. They said they did not think the new formulation would be any different in the durability of it. Only that with the new solvent it wasn`t drying or setting up as fast. I`m sure that has to do with evaporation. This may actually be a benefit in the hotter climates. Personally, I don`t think this is going to save the earth. I`m sure there are more important things that could be done.:rolleyes:

stevet
11-13-2004, 02:39 PM
I think I will stock up on Insulator Wax before they make the changes. Wonder what the shelf life is of IW?

imported_NYV6Coupe
11-13-2004, 03:26 PM
"stocking up" on #476 consists of buying one can .... it`ll last years. I`ve got 3 layers on my car and, if you look at the wax in the can, you can`t tell I used any.

Accumulator
11-13-2004, 05:20 PM
SteveOst- Sounds like they`ve made some progress since I spoke with them; what they told you is a bit more positive than what they told me.

Stevet- If it`s anything like the other liquid waxes I`ve used it`ll stay good a *long* time. I have some Malm`s liquid that`s still good after more than a dozen years.

Originally posted by NYV6Coupe

.."stocking up" on #476 consists of buying one can .... it`ll last years..

Heh heh, then I`m set for a few lifetimes :D

BTW, the paste wax in cans can last indefinitely if you a) make sure the cans are sealed tight, and b) keep them in a mild, dry environment with stable temperature.

LightngSVT
11-13-2004, 05:39 PM
Hmmmmmmm, I might have to buy at least one more can then. I just did my wifes company car today, a 02 GrandPrix. I did DACP, AIO and 476. It went on and off easy, and really has a deep wet look. I just wish it was in a can like S100 so it would be easier to use with the PC.

imported_NYV6Coupe
11-13-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by LightngSVT

It went on and off easy, and really has a deep wet look.

Some people say it`s tough to take off, I had no problem. Some people say that`s it`s really durable but doesn`t look good, I must be missing something.

Perhaps it depends on the color, but my Accord (silver metallic) is slick & glossy with as much reflectivity and depth as silver can muster ... I think it looks great, no regrets.

stevet
11-14-2004, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by NYV6Coupe

Some people say it`s tough to take off, I had no problem. Some people say that`s it`s really durable but doesn`t look good, I must be missing something.

Perhaps it depends on the color, but my Accord (silver metallic) is slick & glossy with as much reflectivity and depth as silver can muster ... I think it looks great, no regrets.

Same here. Insulator Wax looks great on my silver. I have read many times that Collinite is not a beauty wax. I think it looks beautiful on my car:) It`s also very slick. Only thing slicker I have used is 4 * UPP but it doesn`t stay that way very long. I notice a big loss of slickness after the first wash. I have washed once since applying IW and it`s still very slick. And it`s very cool the way water just sort of falls off the car. Very happy with Collinite so far, should have tried it sooner.:xyxthumbs