PDA

View Full Version : Which Rotary do have/prefer?

03COBRA
11-12-2004, 04:18 PM
I have a 20% coupon to pinnaclewax.com, and they have the Porter Cable rotary. However I have not heard of a lot of people using this machine. I am looking at getting into rotary usage, and this deal maybe what I was looking for. But they only have the PC rotary. So let me know what you think, and what you have heard! Please leave a comment on which you chose and why!! Thanks

Accumulator
11-12-2004, 04:30 PM
I went with the Makita because of how well they hold up for pros I`ve spoken with and the Makita`s light weight. I used a Milwaukee back in the day and I have good forearm/wrist strength, but I`m not looking for a workout when I polish :D I tried a Makita and liked how it handled.

FWIW, the often-mentioned Makita speed dial isn`t a problem, you get used to it right away.

But I don`t think you`d go wrong with the PC, Dewalt, etc. either.

MongooseGA
11-12-2004, 05:08 PM
My final thoughts are between the Dewalt and the Makita. I would love either one but I think that, after looking at the weights of the 2 machines, the 2 pound lighter Makita is the winner. I don`t feel the need to pass out while polishing a car. I might also just have to get used to the heft of the DeWalt. I guess it just depends on what I may or may not find under my Christmas tree this year! ;)

Gonzo
11-12-2004, 05:57 PM
I have Makita 9227 for "big" jobs and Metabo for "little" jobs. Makita has way more power and as a consequence one must remain ever cautious when using it. The Metabo is 1/2 the weight, a lot easier to handle, and with less power, a little more forgiving, especially when you are 6 hours into a 10 hour detail and starting to feel my 56 years..... Besides, by then all the heavy cutting has been done and its is just the FP at that point!

dcswd
11-12-2004, 06:25 PM
If it helps any....

I dont have a rotary yet, but I want to buy the Makita.. for a number of reasons that have been discussed on here.

That said, they all look like great tools, and they are all made by well know manufacturers... so I dont think you would be hurting with any of them.

6']['9
11-12-2004, 07:16 PM
i own 2 dewalts and they are great they are hefty but once you get the hang of one everything else is light.