PDA

View Full Version : Halogen worklight question: UV filter

Sveta
11-12-2004, 09:28 AM
Some halogen 500-1000W worklights have UV filtered glass and others don`t. Maybe this is too technical a question, but Autopians are pretty sharp and I`m hoping for input before I buy in a few hours.

Sears has a great buy on lights $22.++ Craftsman Club until the 14th., but they are unfiltered.

How important is that to keep one`s eyesight protected. I don`t plan on staring into them, but what about reflected light, etc?

(I plan to bounce them off the white ceiling most of the time.)

Pondscum
11-12-2004, 10:05 AM
Halogen bulbs produce very little UV. Some of the better ones have UV filters, but unless the fixtures will be pointed very close to your body (within 2 ft), you don`t have anything to worry about. Even then it would have to be a long term exposure. If you are bouncing them off your ceiling, you have nothing to worry about.

NXT4now
11-12-2004, 10:56 AM
The 500 watt light I have come with a UV warning, and the first few times using it I noticed I was getting "snow blind" from working with the light. I started wearing eye protection (goggle with UV shield) and avoided the light as much as I could and that seem to help a lot.

Sveta
11-12-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by love2shine

The 500 watt light I have come with a UV warning, and the first few times using it I noticed I was getting "snow blind" from working with the light. I started wearing eye protection (goggle with UV shield) and avoided the light as much as I could and that seem to help a lot.

After some online research, it seems there are concerns about unfiltered Halogen lights and eye injury. Enough possible dangers that I am going to get the only ones in town with UV filters at HD. Too bad, the Sears one`s seemed much better built and had a 250/500W option on each lamp.

Sveta
11-12-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Pondscum

Halogen bulbs produce very little UV. Some of the better ones have UV filters, but unless the fixtures will be pointed very close to your body (within 2 ft), you don`t have anything to worry about. Even then it would have to be a long term exposure. If you are bouncing them off your ceiling, you have nothing to worry about.

I think that`s correct for skin exposure and is what I have been told by others, but I`ve been reading this hour about possible dangers to the eyes. If I get some really good information I`ll post for all to read.

Eliot Ness
11-12-2004, 05:50 PM
I just bought those lights from Sears on sale with my Craftsman card. They look like a nice set-up:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=03473925000

I`d be interested to know if anyone else has some input on these causing a problem with UV. Since I don`t plan to stare at them I`m not too concerned.

I liked this design because you can use them with or without the stand, plus the price was right (under $25 with tax and my Craftsman card).

jfelbab
11-12-2004, 06:20 PM
According to General Electric;

Tungsten filament lamps, such as Halogen and Incandescent provide minimal UV. GE`s ConstantColor® MR16 lamps are made using special quartz which has properties that enable it to filter out nearly all of the UV portion of the spectrum.

Halogen lamps are typically stronger in the red/yellow area of the spectrum, almost at the opposite end of the UV, FWIW.

AutoNova
11-12-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Eliot Ness

I just bought those lights from Sears on sale with my Craftsman card. They look like a nice set-up:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=03473925000

I`d be interested to know if anyone else has some input on these causing a problem with UV. Since I don`t plan to stare at them I`m not too concerned.

I liked this design because you can use them with or without the stand, plus the price was right (under $25 with tax and my Craftsman card).

This is what i have in-store for $19.99, good lights.