PDA

View Full Version : I`m not sure if my PC is working properly

General Lee
11-11-2004, 05:57 PM
My last couple of details it seems my PC 7424 is not spinning like it should. It seems like it is tearing up my pads also. I put a brand new LC Constant pressure pad to use today on my own vehicle and I only did about half of the car and the blue foam is desinigrating(sp) already. My last detail the velcro on one of my polishing pads decided it wanted to seperate from the pad. It seems it doesn`t take alot of pressure to considerably slow down the machine. With no pressure at all the pad slings product everywhere. But with the lack of pressure you can`t correct any defects. I haven`t had this problem until recently.

Has anyone found that the more curves a vehicle has the harder it is on the PC pad? That may be why my pads are taking a crap on me. It seems I started having problems w/ the pads when I`m working on or around curves on the car body.

Maybe I just didn`t notice when I first got my PC that it boggs down. I really noticed it boggs down when you turn it upside down and clean the excess polish out of the pad. It virtually stops spinning. Is this normal. Or is it time for a new PC? It isn`t that old.

Any suggestions or advive??

TW85 HHI
11-11-2004, 06:06 PM
My car has quite a few curved panels and I have not had a problem with the pads or PC. It takes quite a bit of pressure for mine to bogg down.

When you say spinning, do you mean how the pad freely spins like a rotary with no pressure applied or how it oscillates? The pad will not freely spin when pressure is applied but you should be able to notice significant oscillation.

General Lee
11-11-2004, 06:51 PM
TW85- Yes the machine spins more freely but still has the oscillation characteristics the PC has when there is little pressure. It just seems the PC loses quite a bit of the oscillation when pressure is applied. Maybe its just me. I sure haven`t had these pad problems though. I don`t know whats up....

jimmybuffit
11-11-2004, 06:55 PM
Too much pressure, and too much product, will cause the PC to minimize its rotation, but continue to oscillate.

Slow the speed and spur the pad (lightly) often.

While most of us believe the PC does not generate heat, I`ve measured the BACK of the pad at more than 160 degrees. While that heat may not transfer through the foam, it certainly has an effect on the velcro backing/adhesive. I believe it is a factor in my need to frequently (we do volume) reorder mmMeg`s backing plates

The machine is fine. Slow down, and use less pressure.

Jim

TW85 HHI
11-11-2004, 07:10 PM
If the back of the pad is 160º, wouldn`t the face of the pad (contacting the paint) be even warmer?

General Lee
11-11-2004, 08:16 PM
Jimmy- I think I do end up w/ too much product on the pad because I do spur the pad ever so often to get more "product" on the paint and can always get product to come out. Also when I stop the machine to buff off, I always end up with a "puddle" so to speak of product where I stop the PC.

I too have noticed the PC can generate a little heat like you mentioned.

HotRodGuy
11-13-2004, 03:43 PM
which spur are you guys using?

General Lee
11-13-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by HotRodGuy

which spur are you guys using?

I`m not sure what you mean.

My impression of spurring the pad is when I let off pressure to let the product work "out" towards the edge of the pad and that allows more product to reach the paint without stopping the PC and adding more product to the pad.:nixweiss

Are you asking if a certain tool or brush is used to spur the pad ?

HotRodGuy
11-30-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by General Lee

I`m not sure what you mean.

My impression of spurring the pad is when I let off pressure to let the product work "out" towards the edge of the pad and that allows more product to reach the paint without stopping the PC and adding more product to the pad.:nixweiss

Are you asking if a certain tool or brush is used to spur the pad ?

I was thinking you were referring to this

http://www.autogeek.net/spur100.html

what exactly are you doing?

General Lee
11-30-2004, 09:33 PM
That tool looks like it could do some harm to the pad.

One technique I found to "spur" the pad so to speak is when the PC is on 6 lift the machine off the vehicle slightly to where the paint is barely touching the car. This causes the some of the excess product to work its way out of the pad onto the car surface. Does this make sense??

HotRodGuy
12-03-2004, 09:38 AM
yep, thanks general

Accumulator
12-03-2004, 10:35 AM
I can`t recall ever having to spur a PC pad. I might do it with a toothbrush if I *had* to, but IMO that would indicate too much product. Even with the rotary, with foam pads I just use a brush. I used a spur on wool pads back in the day, but a brush seems to work fine on foam. But again, I only need it with the rotary. But then I`m not really into using the PC for major correction either, maybe that`s it :nixweiss