PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a 3M PI-III MG after shop wetsand and buffed?

T. Perinne
11-11-2004, 02:00 PM
I posted about this earlier but the problem is still occuring:

The shop finished wetsanding and buffing a few body pieces I was missing. They did not wax or glaze nor even wash the car - at my request. The finish they gave me is very smooth, slick, and glossy... There are some light swipe marks though from the buffer and some small swirls from where somebody must have wiped with a cloth that was not MF.

I want to make the finish perfect before using AIO + EX so I got some 3M PIII MG and tested on a newly wet sanded and buffed area. Here is the reoccurring problem: The 3M MG is taking away from the gloss and slickness left from the shop`s buffing. Is this normal? The 3M MG makes the finish literally squeeky, not slick, and less glossy wet looking than the polished finish the shop gave me. The shop uses 3M professional products, why isn`t my 3M MG leaving the same type of glossy slick finish the shop`s 3M polishes left? BTW, I applied the MG by hand...

Accumulator
11-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Assuming you broke down the MG (even though it`s pretty fine stuff, it still needs to break down), then you`re just removing oils/fillers/glaze/wax that the shops stuff left behind. e.g., 3M`s PI-III Finishing Glaze has a little wax in it, so areas treated with that will be slicker and will appear more highly polished than areas (only) treated with MG.

If it were mine (and I`ve done this on freshly painted cars that I value *very* highly and with which expect perfection), I`d remove the problems using the MG then go over the car with something like 1Z MP or even the PI-III FG (or Meg`s #81, or VM, or or or :D ). Removing the marring will also remove whatever "treatment" is on the paint, IMO that`s all you`re doing.

But note that sometimes duplicating by-machine results by hand can be tricky.

LouisanaJeeper
11-11-2004, 05:09 PM
you sure you are removing the MG completley?

btw, when i use the MG it does leave the surface sort of squeeky

Andre'
11-11-2004, 10:53 PM
It sounds like the shop used a glaze with fillers. If your using 3M PI III it has no fillers, and it won`t have the same look or feel of a product with high oil and filler content. Your also using a product that is ment to be used by machine not hand, so your probably not working the product long enough.